2011 Dodge Charger R/T AWD vs. 2006?? STI
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 Dodge Charger R/T AWD vs. 2006?? STI within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I bought a 2011 charger RT for my wife and baby as a family car. Mind you this is a ...

2011 Dodge Charger R/T AWD vs. 2006?? STI

I bought a 2011 charger RT for my wife and baby as a family car. Mind you this is a very fast car and has a power to weight ratio very similar to a stock STI; 10.25 to the sti's 10.33 hp/lb. Well I was driving to work the other day in the Charger because my bugeye is in the shop and a STI pulled up next to me, we were doing 70 on the highway. Well he wanted to race, i could tell by the whole advance fall back advance movement. So we did the 3 2 1 countdown and we were off. Before I could even get to 80 this STI must have been at 115+ before I could blink. AMAZING car this guy had. He then preceded to pull in front of me and put his four ways on which I can only assume he was telling me I was slow. He made me feel like I was driving a hyundai accent. BUT on the other hand I can haul a full days worth of my wife's shopping, a kid thats in a car seat, stroller and high chair, and 4 adults including myself very comfortably. But we all know that doesn't matter at all So moral of the story I got smoked.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    How does the build quality compare between your Charger and your Impreza? I bet the charger has a better back seat, but is the interior fit/finish comparable, better, etc.? Has it been reliable so far?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboBoost View Post
    BUT on the other hand I can haul a full days worth of my wife's shopping, a kid thats in a car seat, stroller and high chair, and 4 adults including myself very comfortably. But we all know that doesn't matter at all So moral of the story I got smoked.
    Couldn't you do all that stuff with a WRX / STI??

I Support ClubWRX
    Was it blue? If so, it could have been an acquaintance of mine (based on your location), in which case, it is heavily modified.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    I looked up images of the Charger R/T AWD. It looks handsome in grey but I prefer wheels that are not chromed.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I can tell you from experience that an STi is going to take a charger/challenger/300 in a dig race any day of the week.. Especially if modified.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque
    I can tell you from experience that an STi is going to take a charger/challenger/300 in a dig race any day of the week.. Especially if modified.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboBoost
    we were doing 70 on the highway. Well he wanted to race, i could tell by the whole advance fall back advance movement. So we did the 3 2 1 countdown and we were off. Before I could even get to 80 this STI must have been at 115+ before I could blink.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    I know, I was also throwing up there that they will loose from a dig as well..

Should of worded different maybe..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Coincidentally my favorite domestic car is the charger.I prefer the lime green version.

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternet View Post
    Couldn't you do all that stuff with a WRX / STI??
    There is no way you can fit four adults and a babyseat in a wrx with a days worth of shopping with a stroller, a carseat, and 4 adults over 6 ft. no way in hell. The charger is 4 times bigger. And if you did fit all that stuff and people, everyone would be miserable because they are a-hole to elbow with a stroller wheel up there butt.

I didn't really get into a full comparison of the two because they are such different cars. But I will since it was asked. In short the WRX in every aspect besides performance sucks compared to the charger. The build quality in a WRX is crap, the materials are crap, and the paint sucks terrible. But you spend 25k on a car that is designed to drive well and go fast with the money spent on the technology of the performance of the engine. Getting 300 hp out of a 2.5 litre engine takes alot of computers and tweaking and straight up fine tuning. So the money is spent on that instead of creature comfort.

The charger is a modern muscle car built for comfort. All of the materials are soft to the touch and feel great and are quality. There are no rattles, or squeeks or odd clunks now an then, it is quiet and refined. The $38,000 the car cost is put into the new design of the body and the interior. The motor is the same as it has always been. Big displacement+ lots of fuel= Big power. 370 hp and 400 lb/ft tq. for a big muscle car. Everything about the build quality of the Charger is better. And I don't think anyone can dispute that the wrx lacks interior refinement. My charger has an 8 speaker alpine stereo with a 10 inch navigation touch screen that controlls the radio straight to the climate control there is no lacking of anything in this car. It is quiet and drives smooth. The only time it is not quiet is when you mash the pedal and that huge 350 hemi just roars, and man does it have one excellent engine note. Its reliable and has had no problems as of yet. It only has 12k miles on it so time will tell. But I love it.

I bought the WRX as a straight up fun car that handles amazing and is fun to drive. I bought the charger because i wanted big power and be able to drive my family around safely and in comfort, but yet is also fun to drive. The STI that beat me was heavily moddified, I had the windows up AC on, stereo blasting and the turbo still sounded like a Jet engine pulling up beside me, I had no chance even if he gave me 5 car lengths head start. But if I were to put that type of money into the charger that the other guy had in his WRX i'd have a Centrifugal supercharged 383 stroker with half inch cams and probably 800 hp. And once you start having forced induction on a big displacement motor, a small four banger just can't hang without some serious cash.

As far as power goes, a stock WRX can not beat a charger from a rolling start. When my foot goes to the floor the charger instantly has 370 and 400, there is no wait for a turbo to spool up it just goes and with the AWD it will snap your neck right into the head rest, it is no contest. I raced it against my 2002 that is well modded and my buddies 2006 WRX. But I can't compete with a 3k rpm launch thouhg. My car goes 0-60 in 5.4 a WRX will do it in 4.7. Those numbers don't lie but there not the only ones that count. A wrx handles better than the charger but again its a different car. The charger being as big as it is handles spectacularly on the other hand.

To sum it up the WRX is a purpose built car designed to go fast and handle great for a cheap price. The Charger is a 38k dollar car built with a big motor to get respectable performance in a very comfortable and refined ride. I bought the Charger first and then a WRX and I was a bit dissappointed with the interior I won't lie. But I love the way the car drives and performs.
    Last edited by TurboBoost; 10-21-2011 at 11:01 PM. Reason: forgot stuff

BAM! No racism.

-Thanks! Management.
    Last edited by Sinister; 10-22-2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Racist post

Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    deleted due to racism
    The lime green is an original challenger color from the late 60's early 70's. My car is the tungsten silver but I wish I had gotten the toxic orange. My wife didn't particular like the color though.
    Last edited by Sinister; 10-22-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Street racing FTL

Quote Originally Posted by TurboBoost View Post
    There is no way you can fit four adults and a babyseat in a wrx with a days worth of shopping with a stroller, a carseat, and 4 adults over 6 ft. no way in hell. The charger is 4 times bigger. And if you did fit all that stuff and people, everyone would be miserable because they are a-hole to elbow with a stroller wheel up there butt.
    What experience are you basing this on? Because it's entirely possible. There's plenty of room in the trunk. People won't be miserable, but at most mildly uncomfortable.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

That there are 4 seating positions in the WRX doesn't make it comparable to the acreage available in the Charger. Dimensions matter and there's just a lot more space in the Charger.

You really can't lump the Charger/300C into the "rattletrap Dodge" category because it was built with heavy Mercedes influence. Many parts are last-generation E-class. I do know I wouldn't be happy with the original R/T, though the current one with more hp may be passable. I'd still choose a used SRT8 instead. I don't know about the mod potential for the AWD variety (how much power it'll hold, etc) but aftermarket for the other platforms is plentiful and potent.

My LGT's build quality had nothing on my 03 Dodge Ram. I preferred the control switches & such on the Legacy but nothing on the Ram has failed, and I drive it WOT enough that I average 9 mpg in town

I've said before that the next sedan I buy will be a 300C SRT8. It's the only thing I've driven that I instantly liked as much as I did my Legacy. This time I know to buy used and spend the money I saved on mods. The LGT's $30k purchase price put a dent in the mod budget for years!
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Street racing FTL

What experience are you basing this on? Because it's entirely possible. There's plenty of room in the trunk. People won't be miserable, but at most mildly uncomfortable.
    Im basing it on the experience that i've tried it and it just doesn't work. It is in no way roomy enough to do it. The carseat has to go in the middle seat because there isn't enough room on the left or right side with someone sitting up front to put the carseat in. And also the trunk is a large trunk but as soon as you put a stroller and a highchair in it it's full, its still only about half the size of the charger's. But the charger can fit stroller, highchair and have plenty of room for plenty of my wifes addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    You really can't lump the Charger/300C into the "rattletrap Dodge" category because it was built with heavy Mercedes influence. Many parts are last-generation E-class. I do know I wouldn't be happy with the original R/T, though the current one with more hp may be passable. I'd still choose a used SRT8 instead. I don't know about the mod potential for the AWD variety (how much power it'll hold, etc) but aftermarket for the other platforms is plentiful and potent.

My LGT's build quality had nothing on my 03 Dodge Ram. I preferred the control switches & such on the Legacy but nothing on the Ram has failed, and I drive it WOT enough that I average 9 mpg in town

I've said before that the next sedan I buy will be a 300C SRT8. It's the only thing I've driven that I instantly liked as much as I did my Legacy. This time I know to buy used and spend the money I saved on mods. The LGT's $30k purchase price put a dent in the mod budget for years!
    Dodge is no longer in any way affiliated with mercedes anymore and is fiat now. There are no more mercedes parts in the new charger, 300, challenger etc. It is a complete redesign of the interior and of the exterior. It still maintains the same general shape of the 1st gen charger but it is a completely different car. Look up some of the reviews on the new charger, you won't find a single bad review. It is a completely different car then what it was last year. I have never been a dodge guy, but when I saw the comercial for it with the new rear end design i knew it was my next car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast