2011 WRX Vs. 2007 Eclipse GT Comparison

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX Vs. 2007 Eclipse GT Comparison within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey Everyone, So I just bought a 2011 WRX about a month and a half ago and I thought I ...

2011 WRX Vs. 2007 Eclipse GT Comparison

Hey Everyone,

So I just bought a 2011 WRX about a month and a half ago and I thought I would compare it to my 2007 Eclipse GT that I traded in for it. The reason I traded in my eclipse is that I wanted something that was 4 doors, sporty, fun, and with AWD for the winter time.

Torque: One of the things I miss about my Eclipse is that it had a lot more torque at lower rpms then the WRX. I could start my Eclipse out in 2nd gear as easily as I can start my WRX out in first. This is also apparent when on the highway. In my Eclipse I would cruise around at about 2300 to 2500 RPM and I still felt it had good pull and I could pass someone if I wanted to without having to down shift. In the WRX I have to get it up to around 3,000 rpm before I feel it start to pull a little bit.

Transmission: I thought that it would bother me that I was going from a 6 speed to a 5 speed transmission when on the highway, but the 5 speed is just about perfect for the WRX when you are cruising around at 75 mph in 5th gear. The power feels like it's right around where it should be. The transmission in the WRX isn't quite as smooth as in my Eclipse but it was fine once I got used to it. I do feel the shifter is a little too long and i will probably eventually get a short throw.

Handling: Stock there is a little more body roll in my WRX then in my Eclipse. I do feel though that the WRX handles a little better then my Eclipse did. This is based on some of my favorite section of roads and how much speed I was carrying through them in both cars. The body roll could also probably be fixed with a good set of swaybars.

Brakes: The stock WRX brakes do feel better then the stock breaks in my eclipse but, they still don't feel great to me. I put some vented rotors and good brake pads on my Eclipse and they made a world of difference. I will probably do the same to my WRX in the future.

Power: Once the turbo kicks in the Wrx feels fast. Unfortunately I don' have my Eclipse anymore to test against my Wrx but the Wrx feels a little bit faster from a roll and from a dig it would smoke my Eclipse.

Mpg: I do about half highway and half city driving and I get about 24 mpg so far in my WRX and I got about 23 in my Eclipse.

Stereo: I had the Rockford Fosgate sound system in my Eclipse which was awesome. The WRX sound is okay but, not near as good. I do like the head unit better in my WRX and I hear you can get some good speakers and it makes a world of difference.

Fun: Both are really fun cars but, I would have to say that I am definitely happy with my purchase. I have owned and driven a lot of cars and the Wrx is so far one of my favorites. For the money it's one of the best bangs for the buck out there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice writeup, and welcome to the forum.

No surprise that the torque curve of a forced-induction 4 will be different than that of a V6, right? Even so, once you adapt your driving style to that of the machine you now own, you'll find that there's plenty of power on tap. If I think that there may be a need for power soon, I keep my revs around 2800 rpms, and I'm good to go. (Disclaimer, I don't own an '11, but rather a modified '02, but the situation is probably similar)

Once you're accustomed to the power delivery, you may grow to like it. I now find the flatter curves of V6's to be a little boring. "When's something going to happen?"
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

From what I hear, upgrading your head unit will improve the sounds quality more than upgrading speakers.

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the Forum

I used to have a 2006 Eclipse GT so I know exactly what you mean. Biggest problem is that they are FWD...torque steering sucks. If it was RWD it would have been a great car to drive. Unfortunately due to the power it made stock and the low end torque, I hated driving it in the rain (traction control easily comes on) and trying to take off moderately hard in 1st gear.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

I Support ClubWRX
    What part of denver?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Thanks. I'm in Westminster

I Support ClubWRX
    awesome... I'm down south quite a bit further. Welcome to the forums
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Thanks