What to do. What to do.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on What to do. What to do. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; iiiiight so i bought a wrx four days ago and I'm obviously in love. But the mod bug has already ...

What to do. What to do.

iiiiight so i bought a wrx four days ago and I'm obviously in love. But the mod bug has already kicked in hard. I was wondering if I should just keep it stock till my warranty runs out, or go ahead and mod it and risk it messing up and having to foot the bill. Also I was wondering if there were any mods that were really worth doing, as far as preformance, without voiding my warranty. Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Baseball View Post
    iiiiight so i bought a wrx four days ago and I'm obviously in love. But the mod bug has already kicked in hard. I was wondering if I should just keep it stock till my warranty runs out,
    Yes.

or go ahead and mod it and risk it messing up and having to foot the bill.
    No.

Also I was wondering if there were any mods that were really worth doing, as far as preformance, without voiding my warranty.
    No.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    You always run the risk of being denied warranty claims with any modifications you do to your car.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    i personally dont believe in warranties.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd avoid power mods if you don't have a backup fund for an engine/tranny rebuild.

Until then, there are certainly some mods you can do that are a bit more 'warranty friendly'. Driveline mods are pretty nice - things like a shorter shifter and new bushings to go with it. Aesthetics - such as mud flaps if it's your cup of tea. The sound system in these cars leaves something to be desired as well. Some light suspension work such as a set of sway bars and end links probably wouldn't cause too many issues either.

The Cobb access port is a common power mod. I'll warn you upfront, there are cases of people who use it and still have denied warranty claims. If you buy one and marry it up, don't assume you will get a replacement engine if it blows for whatever reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    I'm with you there.

Pretty much on any sports car whether its modified or not, any dealership will fight you stating that its your fault. You might as well do what you want to it.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    ^ I haven't had a warranty sense about one month after I bought my car.

I modded my car within a few weeks of purchase. Having said that, I also ate the price of an engine rebuild when it ate a ring land -- a common issue on bone stock cars of the time but my mods would have made any warranty claim impossible. The stock turbo died too, another common problem on the Legacy but not really the WRX, and I also had to pay for its replacement because of the mods that were present.

Don't try to play the other side of the coin either. Many people want to mod like crazy but as soon as something breaks they put it all back to stock and try to claim it under warranty. We all end up paying for that in the long run. If you play, ya gotta pay. If you can't do this or don't want to do this, drive the car stock and enjoy.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KronosPerformance View Post
    Pretty much on any sports car whether its modified or not, any dealership will fight you stating that its your fault. You might as well do what you want to it.
    I have never had a warranty problem with my WRX.

Here is what I have had replaced under warranty:

1. Radiator.
    2. Clutch, throw out bearing, and flywheel.
    3. ABS controller.
    4. Gear box output shaft.
    5. Valve cover gaskets.
    6. Crank case breather gasket.
    7. Respay on rear bumper.

Why? Because I use authentic parts, keep all receipts, and can document that I have done so. Every time I needed something done under warranty, I showed up with the binder of receipts and was simply told "no problem." I'd then drive off in the loaner car and that would be that.

Use authentic parts. Follow the schedule. Keep receipts. Enter agreements, keep your side, and expect the other side to be followed by the other party.

Using imitation parts and "tuning" or "modifying" the car is a reasonable basis for denying warranty work though, I agree.

Once in a while on threads like this someone will bring up the law (constitutional scholars are very common on car forums). However, expecting the Magnusson-Moss act or whatever legislation supported by imitation parts suppliers to help isn't reasonable or realistic because nobody has ever explained to me or anyone I know who is going to fix the car while the dispute is in progress.

Sometimes legitimate claims run into problems. That's very telling though - if it's the dealer, never buy from them again and tell everyone you can. If it's the maker, never buy the marque again, and also tell everyone you know.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 10-06-2011 at 10:07 AM.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think a lot of this comes down to the dealership you work with. Feel them out. I get all of my OEM work and even some aftermarket modifications done at the dealership. They are awesome to work with. Also, remember that you cannot "void your warranty" by modifying your car. I really hate hearing that phrase tossed around inaccurately so much. They do however have the right to deny warranty coverage for any problem that can be directly attributed to a modification you made using other than "Subaru genuine parts" (i.e. SPT). For example, they cannot deny warranty coverage of your defective headlights or head unit just because you're running a stage 2 tune. One has nothing to do with the other.

My recommendation: If stock isn't cutting it, safely and conservatively modify your car to make it more enjoyable for you.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I have never had a warranty problem with my WRX.

Here is what I have had replaced under warranty:

1. Radiator.
    2. Clutch, throw out bearing, and flywheel.
    3. ABS controller.
    4. Gear box output shaft.
    5. Valve cover gaskets.
    6. Crank case breather gasket.
    7. Respay on rear bumper.

Why? Because I use authentic parts, keep all receipts, and can document that I have done so. Every time I needed something done under warranty, I showed up with the binder of receipts and was simply told "no problem." I'd then drive off in the loaner car and that would be that.

Use authentic parts. Follow the schedule. Keep receipts. Enter agreements, keep your side, and expect the other side to be followed by the other party.

Using imitation parts and "tuning" or "modifying" the car is a reasonable basis for denying warranty work though, I agree.

Once in a while on threads like this someone will bring up the law (constitutional scholars are very common on car forums). However, expecting the Magnusson-Moss act or whatever legislation supported by imitation parts suppliers to help isn't reasonable or realistic because nobody has ever explained to me or anyone I know who is going to fix the car while the dispute is in progress.

Sometimes legitimate claims run into problems. That's very telling though - if it's the dealer, never buy from them again and tell everyone you can. If it's the maker, never buy the marque again, and also tell everyone you know.
    I should rephrase...

Any dealership could deny you especially with you drive a sports car, stock or not. I've seen it happen with different friends who are stock, who are using manufacturer performance parts etc. Every dealership is independently owned so they operate different and managed differently. One dealer may have a fit about an intake on the car another may not. If your transmission goes on you and you have a cat-back on your car...they could say it was due to abuse. Every situation is different. I've also seen someone who is using genuine manufacturer parts get fought for warranty claims.

It really depends on the situation and places you are going to.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

I Support ClubWRX
    Ask the parts department of they sell DPs, CAIs, and Accessports. Then ask the service department if they install aftermarket DPs and CAIs. These are good "feeler" questions. :-) If they bulk at it or try to lecture you about modifications, you may have "one of those" dealers.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    Ask the parts department of they sell DPs, CAIs, and Accessports. Then ask the service department if they install aftermarket DPs and CAIs. These are good "feeler" questions. :-) If they bulk at it or try to lecture you about modifications, you may have "one of those" dealers.
    The dealers that sell imitation parts are "one of those dealers" and the other dealers you refer to are actually the dealers to prefer.

The dealers that sell imitation parts -- and then presumably don't balk at providing warranty support -- are essentially following the old slogan "At XXX Inc, we rip off the other guy and pass the savings on to you!..." Those that sell imitation parts (and actually install them) knowing that the parts do not meet emissions standards are violating the law outright. A service department that installs imitation intake and exhaust components has more respect for immediate profit than for the law or likely for long-term customer satisfaction.

I don't think it's behaviour I want to support.

Prefer dealers that only sell and support authentic parts.

I Support ClubWRX
    So, you don't agree with a dealer selling and installing a Cobb CBE?

Greg

Build Thread

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    So, you don't agree with a dealer selling and installing a Cobb CBE?
    A catback is almost certainly legal (it is legal WRT emissions; the question is WRT sound levels). Assuming it is legal, I have no problem with it.

A more interesting question is whether SOA agrees with one of their dealers selling an imitation product. Dealers do sell imitation products routinely (fluids and other consumables come to mind). I don't know how aware SOA might be of this, or how much they care. However, selling imitation parts that are illegal (not just in the trademark or IP sense, but also WRT emissions, safety, etc.) and in parallel holding a vehicle dealer license that implies one cannot do so, all while performing warranty work under the auspices of being an official dealer for a marque is something I find at best questionable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.