My 2010 WRX vs. my old lightly-modded 2003 Tiburon
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on My 2010 WRX vs. my old lightly-modded 2003 Tiburon within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; vs. I know they're not very similar cars, but they're the car I bought when I was 18 and the ...

My 2010 WRX vs. my old lightly-modded 2003 Tiburon

vs.

I know they're not very similar cars, but they're the car I bought when I was 18 and the car I bought when I was (am) 25. I figure I've owned the WRX long enough now and making a comparison of the two is actually quite appropriate.

Inside the Tiburon, the leather seats and enclosed all-black cockpit which was illuminated with amber lights and had a very sporty and slightly luxurious feeling to it. The sound system was after-market and very teenage-appropriate, with its fancy deck and noisy subwoofers. However the car was completely useless for more than two people. If anyone over 5'6 sat in the back seat, they couldn't sit up straight. There was actually a sticker on the hatch warning you to not close it if people were in the rear seats.

The WRX has a fairly plain cockpit. The controls are all easily enough accessed. The thermometer and gas-mileage readouts give me a slight reminder that my car isn't actually the old 240sx I drove in high school and the radio lets me control my music from the steering wheel. That's nice, even if everything else about the audio is in dire need of an upgrade. The back seat however is great for friends and the sporty looking seats hold you nicely as you take turns at a faster pace than you should.

The Tiburon had a way-too-high geared 6 speed mated to an under-powered V6 with I/H, lightweight flywheel (the stock one was 25 lbs.. seriously) and a stronger clutch. The car was very quick in 1st and 2nd gears. Shifts were fun, but that was due to the upgrades after a blown clutch at 60,000 miles. On the highway 3rd gear was too low to pass people, so passing was done in 4th gear. 5th and 6th gears were both overdrives, so 4th gear was not a very powerful gear and the car was about on par with my old Ka24 powered 240sx (not very powerful) when it came to passing. Going around corners the car was stable, but not very sporty due to its horribly front heavy design. The suspension was uncomfortably stiff on any roads that weren't made of glass. Oddly enough torque steer was never really an issue. Going up canyons on the freeway, 6th gear was fine. However this is likely because at 80 mph in 6th gear I was at 3500 rpms. Going up smaller canyons 4th gear was usually sufficient and I rarely shifted. Gas mileage around town and on the highway were about the same at roughly 23 mpg, despite Hyundai's estimate of 18/26.

The WRX has turbo lag. This is my first turbocharged car and it was so strange for me at first. The car feels like I'm driving a 2.5 Impreza most of the time, but when I ask it to, it comes alive and is one of the most amazing things I've ever driven. The unrefined throw-you-back feel that I get at 3500 rpms is amazing. However it's unfortunate as going up and down freeway canyons it requires a lot of shifting between 4th and 5th gears to allow the turbo to spool up. Commuting to work in traffic is also a huge pain in the ass because of the amount of shifting I have to do. Taking the WRX around turns is amazing as it feels so stable with its stock suspension and much more balanced than the Hyundai did. Driving over pavement the suspension is stuff, but I've never had a back ache after a long drive. The car also explodes out of turns as long as the RPMs stay at the right spot. Gas mileage is slightly better with about 22 around town and 28 on the highway.

Reliability wise it is hard to compare as the WRX has 25,000 miles and the Tiburon had 140,000 miles. I do have to admit it's quite nice not noticing the AC become significantly warmer as the summer goes on, having to hold the rpms high on hot days when stuck in traffic to stop the car from overheating and worrying about electrical issues that once a month or so caused the fuse powering the radio to blow when the passenger door is opened. The WRX hasn't had a single issue yet and appears to be much better engineered that the 10 year old Hyundai.

I've yet to drive the WRX in the snow, but I live in Utah so I will get plenty of opportunity soon enough. The 3000 lb FWD Hyundai with a 62/38::F/R weight ratio never had much trouble in wet snow, however powder was a different story. In the very occasional rain that we get here the WRX has already shown me that it doesn't mind being on the freeway nearly as much as the Tiburon did.

In summary I miss the Tiburon. It was unrefined and underpowered and had looks that screamed "an 18 year old drives this" but it was actually quite nice inside and very easy to drive despite the unnecessarily extra gear. However I also owned the car for 7 years and knew just about everything I could about it. The WRX is just as unrefined, but certainly not underpowered. It has a mature, but still young, look to it and looks like something I could drive well into my 30's. I think my only major gripe about the car is that the interior seriously looks like something from the mid 1990's. Otherwise, the WRX is definitely an appropriate and needed upgrade over the Tiburon and I'm happy with my purchase.
    Last edited by Geo-Aggie; 10-04-2011 at 10:32 PM.
    2010 Subaru WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Nice comparo. Nothing wrong about liking the car you spent so much time with - it sounds like a better car than I had thought they were.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Former '03 GT V6 Tib owner myself. Mine had a lot of problems, but when it was in good running shape, I had fun with that car. Since trading up to the Rex I haven't looked back though. BOOST!!!

Hyundai learned the same lessons you did, thus the Genesis sedan. Once they finally put the GDI turbo from the Sonata into the Genesis it will change the game bigtime. 275hp rwd turbo coupe for $22k will fly off the lots.

If they ever squeeze the 5.0 v8 into the Coupe, I'm buying one!
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Hyundai learned the same lessons you did, thus the Genesis sedan. Once they finally put the GDI turbo from the Sonata into the Genesis it will change the game bigtime. 275hp rwd turbo coupe for $22k will fly off the lots.

If they ever squeeze the 5.0 v8 into the Coupe, I'm buying one!

If they squeeze that 5.0 in there the car will be an uncontrollable monster... which is why everyone should buy one and 10 years 100k warranty!!! Thats incentive enough.

I really considered the V6 Genesis before getting the Rex, it was a dream to drive and the inside looked about 50x cooler, but I could just see myself in a Genesis stuck in snow bank after snow bank. RWD in a daily driver is not for me.
    2010 Subaru WRX

I'm actually buying my wife the sonata even after she said she would never drive a turbo. Car but she loves the sonata lol
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.