Selling my 2008 G37S for a 2012 WRX...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Selling my 2008 G37S for a 2012 WRX... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Okay peoples... I currently have a 2008 G37S and I am very close to pulling the trigger on a a ...

Selling my 2008 G37S for a 2012 WRX...

Okay peoples...

I currently have a 2008 G37S and I am very close to pulling the trigger on a a 2012 WRX order. The goal of this is to lower my monthly payment. I know I will be sacrificing luxury, but at this point in my life, I rather have the lower payment.

I would get a base WRX. I'm trying to lower my payment so I am able to save more money per month on the purchase of a house within a year.

My questions is... do you guys think I am crazy to make the switch? Are there more positives than negatives to making the switch? I'm just looking for some honest opinions from true enthusiasts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Can we order them yet? Why not just get a new 2011 wrx if you are trying to lower ur payments? Better yet sell the g37 outright to the dealer for cash especially if you have positive equity in the g37. Alot of dealers are buying cars outright because of the economy and shortage on used cars. Use that money to buy a used wrx from a private sale and poof no car payment!

My friend's boyfriend has a 2008 5MT G37S coupe. I have ridden in it and it doesn't feel nearly is nimble, quick or (most importantly) as fun as my WRX. However the ride is nicer and the car feels like a luxury car. My WRX rides nice enough and feels luxurious enough, but even with the HID lights, auto-dim mirror, heated seats and sunroof it's clearly just a compact with a turbo engine in it. However I kind of like that. Plus, the 4 doors is nice. (However you may have a sedan.)

To be honest when I see someone my age (I'm 25) driving around a $40,000 car, knowing that the chance that they have a higher income than me is incredibly low, I automatically think they're trying to hard. Driving a fun car built with a younger audience in mind feels.. appropriate..

Though depending on how long you've had your G37 and how much you owe on it, if your only goal is to lower payments, you might just be in a better situation to refinance your G37. A 2008 is going to be roughly the same price as a 2012 WRX and I don't know if ~$450-$500 a month is going to save you anything over refinancing what you currently owe on your G37 over 5 or 6 years. Especially if you'd had it since 2008.
    2010 Subaru WRX

Geo-Aggie, that is funny you should say. I am 25 as well. I feel like the car is a little out of my league and when I go to see clients, they look at me like I'm a bit too rich for my age... which I am far from lol. It is also red which makes it a little "loud" looking. I would get the WRX in white.

I bought the car used for about 27,000 a year ago and have been over paying in my payments. I have a great job and work for everything myself. I only have about 17,000 to pay off. My payment is about 570 a month, but I have been paying a good amount more in order to lower my total interest. I figure I could sell my car for about the same amount, considering I got a very sick deal on it. I only have about 22,000 miles on it. I got it used with about 12,000. I figure I could put the equity down, which I was hoping I could get about 10,000 total to put down and finance at 60 months at the great Subaru rate. That should put me under 300 a month. My job is commisioned base so one month could be amazing, while one could be eh.

What you guys think? Good idea?

I learned that I like the luxury more than the sportiness so I've defected to the "comfy" side. Then again I am quite a bit older than you two...

I've also learned not to buy new. Take that down payment and put it on a 1-2 yr old loaded WRX and you'll have a better car and a lower payment, even if you don't get the super-low financing of a new car. You could really "slum it" and look at cars in the $15k range; you'll be surprised just how much car that will buy.

In the end, what mattes is if you like it. You've got to drive it every day so there's no reason to make payments on a car you only tolerate.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Well the one reason I do not mind buying a new WRX is that from what I can see they do not depreciate that quickly. The amazing for these cars and the dealer told me they make only about 1000 of them a year. Not to mention Subaru has a great CPO warranty with these WRXs, which also helps to keep the value very high. Normally I would buy used and that is what I did with my G37S and it saved me about 20,000. I feel that at 25, even though I love the luxury, I slightly don't need or yet deserve it. I don't want to get used to such nice things so early in life. Where do I go next when I get used to 330hp, nav, backup camera, amazing stereo, leather, bluetooth, and so forth. That is why I think getting a base WRX is a smart move.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If you're looking for luxury, price, AND resale, there are better cars out there for your money
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I'd definitely consider looking at a used one. I don't understand why you'd put $10k down though when your goal is to save for a house. You're going to need a good chunk of money when it's time to buy the house, so I'd save the $10k for that and put nothing down. Invest the $10k in something until it's time to buy the house.

Quote Originally Posted by ARhode View Post
    Where do I go next when I get used to 330hp, nav, backup camera, amazing stereo, leather, bluetooth, and so forth. That is why I think getting a base WRX is a smart move.
    I had a brand new 911 C4 when I was 23 and it was awesome having such a nice car so young. It was more than I should've spent, but I enjoyed every single second of owning it for 3.5 years. Then I got married and bought a house and went to a new Nissan Xterra, then on to a used Subaru STi, and now that I'm divorced, my car payments and collection are a little out of control. There's always places to go, but make sure you're driving what you really want.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ARhode View Post
    Well the one reason I do not mind buying a new WRX is that from what I can see they do not depreciate that quickly. The amazing for these cars and the dealer told me they make only about 1000 of them a year. Not to mention Subaru has a great CPO warranty with these WRXs, which also helps to keep the value very high. Normally I would buy used and that is what I did with my G37S and it saved me about 20,000. I feel that at 25, even though I love the luxury, I slightly don't need or yet deserve it. I don't want to get used to such nice things so early in life. Where do I go next when I get used to 330hp, nav, backup camera, amazing stereo, leather, bluetooth, and so forth. That is why I think getting a base WRX is a smart move.
    Maybe that is just a typo, but otherwise he lied. Production numbers are more like 10-15 thousand.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Maybe that is just a typo, but otherwise he lied. Production numbers are more like 10-15 thousand.
    Maybe he war referring to the limiteds?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

That is waht he said, but I'm sure the was not telling the complete truth lol. I was also thinking of putting 0 down and doing a 72 because Subarus rate goes out taht far. Keeping the 10,000 in liquidity seems like the best move.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    I learned that I like the luxury more than the sportiness so I've defected to the "comfy" side. Then again I am quite a bit older than you two...
    LOL, I may be older than you, John, but I'm the opposite. I owned a 2005 G35c for a while. Great car in many ways, but I missed the raw feeling of my bugeye. I guess ideally it would be nice to have a fast, raw car, and a nice BMW sedan for when I want to be a bit more comfy. Instead I'm saving for kids' college.

OP: It doesn't matter "who thinks you're crazy"...drive the car and see if it suits you. I'm a 44-year-old with gray starting to work its way into my hair, and other people's assumptions about what car I should drive don't make it onto my radar.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by hangie11 View Post
    Can we order them yet? Why not just get a new 2011 wrx if you are trying to lower ur payments? Better yet sell the g37 outright to the dealer for cash especially if you have positive equity in the g37. Alot of dealers are buying cars outright because of the economy and shortage on used cars. Use that money to buy a used wrx from a private sale and poof no car payment!
    This

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I'd definitely consider looking at a used one. I don't understand why you'd put $10k down though when your goal is to save for a house. You're going to need a good chunk of money when it's time to buy the house, so I'd save the $10k for that and put nothing down. Invest the $10k in something until it's time to buy the house.

I had a brand new 911 C4 when I was 23 and it was awesome having such a nice car so young. It was more than I should've spent, but I enjoyed every single second of owning it for 3.5 years. Then I got married and bought a house and went to a new Nissan Xterra, then on to a used Subaru STi, and now that I'm divorced, my car payments and collection are a little out of control. There's always places to go, but make sure you're driving what you really want.
    Both of these

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.