Have a v70R looking for a replacement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Have a v70R looking for a replacement within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone! Well as the title says I have a Volvo v70r, 6sp manual, etc. It's now 5 years old ...

Have a v70R looking for a replacement

Hi everyone!

Well as the title says I have a Volvo v70r, 6sp manual, etc. It's now 5 years old and I am thinking about replacing it with a WRX or STI.

If I go subaru, I'm leaning towards the WRX, less boy racer looking.
    I test drove a new WRX today and it was nice, the seats don't hold you like the R's but still good. The power seemed good, especially 3k rpm and up. All in all a nice car with good power and handling.

So my question would be to anyone who has had experience with both to chime in and give me their opinion.

Also is the STI really worth the extra 8-9 grand? Is it cost effective to upgrade a WRX (tune, brakes, exhaust) to get closer to 300hp?

What about cargo room? I know it wont be as much as my current wagon, but how is it for a family of 4 and road tripping?

THANKS!

Pic of the current ride

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by hewinutah View Post
    Also is the STI really worth the extra 8-9 grand? Is it cost effective to upgrade a WRX (tune, brakes, exhaust) to get closer to 300hp?

What about cargo room? I know it wont be as much as my current wagon, but how is it for a family of 4 and road tripping?
    Yes it is worth the extra cost for an sti if you plan on modifying the car in the future. STI's come with many extras with the added horsepower. Like the 6 speed manual, dccd, brembo's, etc.

Cargo room is rather small in the sedans. Your family will fit fine, but the trunk doesn't hold all that much, but it is like any other sedan.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forum!

The "Is the STI worth it" question has been bounced around here since the 2004 introduction of the USDM model, and is still actively debated. Most here will say that the difference was once huge, but not so much at this point. Dyno pulls with both cars suggest that the outputs of them are not as different as Subaru would like people to believe. Both are easily modifiable for more power, but the STI comes with a more "trackish", tight suspension from the factory. Whether or not that is a good thing will be up to the individual driver.

See if you an drive them back-to-back to judge; our opinions are just, well, opinions. STI owners here will suggest that there is no substitute, WRX owners will say that their car is a better day-to-day vehicle, which can be upgraded to near STI performance for not-that-much money. I don't know squat, since I own neither in it's most recent incarnation.

My older, 2002 WRX wagon does great for secondary family duty, but I wouldn't want it as our sole hauler. We do a lot of camping, week-long trips, etc, and our van suits that kind of thing much better.
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 09-03-2011 at 04:57 AM.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I can't speak for the 6 speed in the STI, but I would avoid the 5 speed that comes in the WRX, the transmission/clutch/gearing combination is about as bad as it gets.
    2011 WRX Limited - WR Blue Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by lordgrinz View Post
    I can't speak for the 6 speed in the STI, but I would avoid the 5 speed that comes in the WRX, the transmission/clutch/gearing combination is about as bad as it gets.
    What makes you say the 5 speed is that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by hewinutah View Post
    What makes you say the 5 speed is that bad?
    2nd and 3rd gear are just too high, and the clutch is lifeless, its almost like the 5 speed was an afterthought. They should throw the 6 speed in the WRX, if nothing else, it would at least make manufacturing easier. I have come to the conclusion that this transmission and clutch are the worst setup I've driven in years.

I have driven both the Volvo t5 for 6 months and owned both WRX with a 5spd and STi with a 6spd.
    The STi is going to be the closest match to the Volvo. And if you bought a WRX with the 5spd coming from a 6spd. You might regret it down the road.

The STi is a better package for you and your family since you live where it snows. The front diff is a lsd, while the wrx is an open diff. As far as modding, Both wrx and the STi are the same. Unless you go rotated turbo. Then the stronger 6spd will come into play. You can buy an STi with a wingless trunk. So you do not need to have the boy racer look. And my personal thoughts are that the STi has a better finish and feel when you sit inside the car and play with the controls. Once again not trying to slam a WRX, But Volvo's have a nice finish. You would be kicking yourself later if you bought the WRX, as over the 1st six months you would be feeling like you downgraded yourself coming off the Volvo. The WRX limited are nice, But then you have the 5spd and open front diff.
    2006 wrX

2nd and 3rd gear are just too high, and the clutch is lifeless, its almost like the 5 speed was an afterthought. They should throw the 6 speed in the WRX, if nothing else, it would at least make manufacturing easier. I have come to the conclusion that this transmission and clutch are the worst setup I've driven in years.
    There are parts you can remove in the clutch line system to help with the clutch feel. And as far as 2nd and 3rd. That depends on the year of the car and your power output.
    2006 wrX

What are you going to do with the wagon? Also if your kids are 5- 15 years old. You will score playground points if you drop your kids off and pick them up in an STi.... This can be very important in play circles at school.
    2006 wrX

The drivetrain is a bit different then your average car, but what subaru is considered to follow the normal car design? The WRX'STI are a completley different animal from most "simular" types of cars out there... All it takes is some getting used to and then its second nature and you dont even think about it while driving... I love the uniqueness of the car, its a great perfomer that I can drive any day of the year especially in Utah snow which is world famous for having the best conditions for sking & snowboarding...

As far as the 5speed is concerned, it is anything but weak more so in the new ones... Being a full time awd car gives it heaps of grip and the added masive amounts of torque these cars produce is amazing...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by turb0 View Post
    The STi is a better package for you and your family since you live where it snows.
    Unless he's participating in snow rallies, I doubt that the difference will be important for him. My older WRX performs admirably in snow.

And my personal thoughts are that the STi has a better finish and feel when you sit inside the car and play with the controls. Once again not trying to slam a WRX, But Volvo's have a nice finish. You would be kicking yourself later if you bought the WRX, as over the 1st six months you would be feeling like you downgraded yourself coming off the Volvo.
    This is interesting. I've never seen anything to indicate that there is a difference in build or material quality between the two cars; they feel quite the same to me inside when I've visited the dealer. Both are on a cheaper plane than the Volvo's, most likely.

I've always been fine with Subaru's 5-speeds, but then I learned to drive in cars that were more vintage and finicky.

Also if your kids are 5- 15 years old. You will score playground points if you drop your kids off and pick them up in an STi.... This can be very important in play circles at school.
    This explains a lot! I guess once my mom dropped me off in that orange, 1972 AMC Gremlin, my social status was cooked for good.
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 09-03-2011 at 05:17 AM.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    The drivetrain is a bit different then your average car, but what subaru is considered to follow the normal car design? The WRX'STI are a completley different animal from most "simular" types of cars out there... All it takes is some getting used to and then its second nature and you dont even think about it while driving... I love the uniqueness of the car, its a great perfomer that I can drive any day of the year especially in Utah snow which is world famous for having the best conditions for sking & snowboarding...

As far as the 5speed is concerned, it is anything but weak more so in the new ones... Being a full time awd car gives it heaps of grip and the added masive amounts of torque these cars produce is amazing...
    I just find 2nd gear to be horrible, you slow down to a slower speed, and 2nd is to high, yet 1st is to low. 3rd gear isn't much better, and the clutch has nothing going on for more than half the pedal travel. Its really just seems like they never thought it thru, like lets just slap anything into this car and sell it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    The "Is the STI worth it" question has been bounced around here since the 2004 introduction of the USDM model, and is still actively debated. Most here will say that the difference was once huge, but not so much at this point. Dyno pulls with both cars suggest that the outputs of them are not as different as Subaru would like people to believe. Both are easily modifiable for more power, but the STI comes with a more "trackish", tight suspension from the factory. Whether or not that is a good thing will be up to the individual driver.

See if you an drive them back-to-back to judge; our opinions are just, well, opinions. STI owners here will suggest that there is no substitute, WRX owners will say that their car is a better day-to-day vehicle, which can be upgraded to near STI performance for not-that-much money. I don't know squat, since I own neither in it's most recent incarnation.
    I really enjoy DDing my STI. I have friends who have commented that it wouldn't be comfortable as a daily commuter, and can't understand why I enjoy it so much. That said, I've replaced a bunch of driveline/suspension bits, but even stock, as Ray mentioned, some will not like the harsher ride. Coming from a Volvo, this may be a deal-breaker. To get leather seats in the STI, you're looking at ~$38K, which is a hefty price tag as well. I may be in the minority, but for someone not looking to dive heavily into modifications or really push the car, the WRX may be the better DD, since it's cheaper, you can throw a few modifications on it and get a fun DD car, while still remaining "reliable" (asking the car to perform outside OE spec decreases reliability, but it's nothing the car shouldn't be able to handle).

It really needs to be your decision after driving both. A lot of dealerships are hesitant to let people test drive STIs (they don't want joy riders), so you may have some difficulty, but if they're not willing to let you test drive the car, they're not worth your business.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    This explains a lot! I guess once my mom dropped me off in that orange, 1972 AMC Gremlin, my social status was cooked for good.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Unless he's participating in snow rallies, I doubt that the difference will be important for him. My older WRX performs admirably in snow.
    No snow rallies but snow is an issue here. The R has performed well with the right tires. But when it's really nasty I take my Tacoma or the wife's 4Runner.

This is interesting. I've never seen anything to indicate that there is a difference in build or material quality between the two cars; they feel quite the same to me inside when I've visited the dealer. Both are on a cheaper plane than the Volvo's, most likely.
    My R does have nicer seats, and material then the WRX/STI. But they are different classes of cars (Luxury vs Mid-Level). That being said, the WRX/STI did not look like a base beer can economy box car. To me it was fine based on the price point of the car.

I've always been fine with Subaru's 5-speeds, but then I learned to drive in cars that were more vintage and finicky.
    The 6 speed in the R is not what I would call perfect, quirky is better. It's not the best I have ever driven, but I don't know of many sleeper wagons that you can get one in.

Quote Originally Posted by turb0 View Post
    The STi is going to be the closest match to the Volvo. And if you bought a WRX with the 5spd coming from a 6spd. You might regret it down the road.
    When I drove the WRX it seemed to have plenty of power to get into trouble with. I didn't have time to drive the STI, but I will make the time.
    I will agree on paper the STI looks to be a better match. , but the WRX and STI both weigh less then the v70R. So it might be okay for a DD. I really have no intention of tracking the car
    Curb weight:
    v70R - 3646 lbs
    2011 WRX - 3200 lbs
    2011 STI - 3400 lbs

Some other specs for comparison
    V70R 6 spd manual
    2.5 Liter, 5-Cylinder, CVV Timing DOHC, Turbo with Twin Inter-coolers
    Horsepower (SAE net) 300 @ 5,500 rpm
    Torque (ft. / lbs. SAE net) 295 @ 1,950-5,250 rpm
    Multilink Independent Rear Suspension with Coil Springs, Electronic Variable Damping Hydraulic Shocks front and rear (3 settings - Comfort / Sport / Advanced)
    4-Piston Brembro Brakes with Aluminum Calipers

Top Speed (Electronically Controlled) 155 mph
    Manual Acceleration (0-60 mph) estimated 5.6 sec.
    Stopping Distance (from 62 mph) 118 ft.
    Last edited by hewinutah; 09-03-2011 at 03:29 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    LOL, for the record, I didn't say that last quote; that was turb0..
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast