Have a v70R looking for a replacement - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Have a v70R looking for a replacement within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX LOL, for the record, I didn't say that last quote; that was turb0.. Sorry about that, ...

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    LOL, for the record, I didn't say that last quote; that was turb0..
    Sorry about that, it's fixed now

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't know if the WRX will be enough "car" for anyone coming from the V70R. The powertrain is fine but in the end it's a high power economy car no matter how much leather & suede they're packing.

The Legacy is Subaru's closest offering in that area but I admit I don't know squat about the latest version.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    I don't know if the WRX will be enough "car" for anyone coming from the V70R. The powertrain is fine but in the end it's a high power economy car no matter how much leather & suede they're packing.

The Legacy is Subaru's closest offering in that area but I admit I don't know squat about the latest version.
    Yes and no, I'm not what some might call a luxury wh0re. While I will admit that I like what the VR has to offer, it's not a deal breaker. I knew before I went to look at the WRX that it was not going to be the same level, but it's a long way from a basic beer can economy car.

I did look at the Legacy online and all I could think was it's like an american car they put a high HP engine in. Sure it's got some chops with power and handling, but the seats and gauges etc don't match the performance.

Take for example the Chrysler 300. They put in the Hemi, decent handling for the average person, but the interior was crap imo. Flat seats, cheap plastics, cheap leather and an ugly generic steering wheel. I have spent some time in a 300 and now just looking at it made me throw-up a little in my mouth. I know I said I'm not a luxury wh0re, but for how they marketed it, it should have been better

Sit in an SRT8 - it's like an entirely different car. The seats are out of this world -- even the back seat has bolsters. That's actually the car I'll replace my Legacy with once the economy improves a bit. Owning a business sucks right now!

I admit I'm old and that max performance is second to what the car offers me in everyday driving. I've driven turbo AWD cars for the past 19 years (Lots of DSMs / Galant VR4 > 2 Stealth TT's > Legacy GT) I'm attracted to a true gas & go proposition, where I might put on an intake & handheld tuner and enjoy a car that runs 12s at 110+ mph in essentially stock condition. The whole platform is old E-class, so it's proven to be a reliable setup. It equals C5 numbers in acceleration, handling, and braking so I can live with that in a sedan package. The fact that I can buy a clean one for maybe $22k is just icing on the cake. After the $30k Legacy + $10k under the hood, it'll be a welcome change!
    John M
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Sit in an SRT8 - it's like an entirely different car. The seats are out of this world -- even the back seat has bolsters. That's actually the car I'll replace my Legacy with once the economy improves a bit. Owning a business sucks right now!

I admit I'm old and that max performance is second to what the car offers me in everyday driving. I've driven turbo AWD cars for the past 19 years (Lots of DSMs / Galant VR4 > 2 Stealth TT's > Legacy GT) I'm attracted to a true gas & go proposition, where I might put on an intake & handheld tuner and enjoy a car that runs 12s at 110+ mph in essentially stock condition. The whole platform is old E-class, so it's proven to be a reliable setup. It equals C5 numbers in acceleration, handling, and braking so I can live with that in a sedan package. The fact that I can buy a clean one for maybe $22k is just icing on the cake. After the $30k Legacy + $10k under the hood, it'll be a welcome change!
    I'll give you that the SRT8 does have better seats, but the rest of the cheap-o plastics are still there.

From my test drive in an 2011 WRX the plastics and such were much better then the 300.
    Maybe I'm more of a luxury wh0re then I want to admit????

Quote Originally Posted by hewinutah View Post
    From my test drive in an 2011 WRX the plastics and such were much better then the 300.
    Maybe I'm more of a luxury wh0re then I want to admit????
    Not sure which WRX you drove, but my Limited has to have the worst looking plastic I have ever seen! Or I am even more of a "luxury wh0re"...LOL
    2011 WRX Limited - WR Blue Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by lordgrinz View Post
    Not sure which WRX you drove, but my Limited has to have the worst looking plastic I have ever seen! Or I am even more of a "luxury wh0re"...LOL
    LOL - Maybe we need to start a support group? "Hi I'm Sean and I'm a luxury wh0re".

I think my biggest gripe is when they promote a car as upscale, and they have cheap-o plastics. The WRX is promoted as a sporty car with a spartan interior. In a way they remind me of Volvos from the 80's. Granted they weren't sporty, but the interiors were comfortable and functional.

When I used to travel for business more I would rent the cheapest car I could, and let me tell you there is much worse then the WRX when it comes to plastics fit / finish inside a car. Back in 2000 ish I rented a Kia, the interior looked and felt like it was designed to be hosed down after someone vomited from looking at it.
    Last edited by hewinutah; 09-04-2011 at 02:56 PM.

The hard plastic in the 300 is a bit cheap but at least it's durable. It's nicer than my Legacy in some ways (like those seats!) but it's obvious all the money went into the powertrain. I never understood why car makers ran away from the padded vinyl that worked so well in the 90s. The plastic surfaces in my LGT were easily marred so it wasn't anything nicer. The car had 22k miles when I sold it and some items didn't hold up nearly as well as my 03 Dodge truck's interior is at 75k.

I've got plenty of "nice" cars in my family, from LS460s to my brother's Mercedes CL65 AMG ($190k), and today's Hyundai/Kia can easily out-do Subaru's interior. A 429hp Genesis would be fun too but I'll take a used 300 at half the price even if it has more plain plastic and no leather-wrapped dash. Its aftermarket is huge if I ever decide I do want to start pouring money in it. I hear heads & cam take it to over 400whp and you still have factory reliability, something I value more after losing a fortune on the Subie.

I think the biggest thing is that today's $30k car is average. It isn't "entry luxury" anymore. $40k is where things start getting nicer, whereas I remember my brand new Eclipse in 1992 stickered at $17.5k. It was also a sporty econobox
    John M

This is a pretty cool thread... for one awesome reason. I am currently driving an 05 S60R (for sale if you are interested on SS!) and thinking of a 2012 wrx 5 door.

Here is a pic of my ride:

I test drove a wrx sedan and I liked it a lot. I know the WRX does not replace the R... even the Sti does not replace the R. I have a tune, exhaust, and intake with a bunch of other goodies and I am up near 350-360 crank hp... but the car weighs 3600 lbs and there is AWD loss... plus if you have not heard our R's AWD systems are not the best.

I am actually looking for a nice "downgrade" from the R and the WRX fits perfectly. Turbo fun, 5 speed, wagon, AWD and easily tunable to be faster than the R. The 5 speed was actually fitting quite nice coming from a 6 speed... I felt like the suspension is setup nice as well. I think the suspension felt somwhere just slightly stiffer than "Sport" mode in the R (advanced is wicked awesome, probably more comparable to an STI) but I liked that, because I always drive the R in sport mode because I like minimal body roll and crisp shifting.

I am about to close a deal here in the next few weeks on a 2012 WRX and I could not be more happier. I know I have only driven volvos my whole life and I feel confident to make the jump to the subaru crowd. I feel like they have just as strong customer base, knowledge, and reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by mgmoehn View Post
    This is a pretty cool thread... for one awesome reason. I am currently driving an 05 S60R (for sale if you are interested on SS!) and thinking of a 2012 wrx 5 door.

Here is a pic of my ride:

I test drove a wrx sedan and I liked it a lot. I know the WRX does not replace the R... even the Sti does not replace the R. I have a tune, exhaust, and intake with a bunch of other goodies and I am up near 350-360 crank hp... but the car weighs 3600 lbs and there is AWD loss... plus if you have not heard our R's AWD systems are not the best.

I am actually looking for a nice "downgrade" from the R and the WRX fits perfectly. Turbo fun, 5 speed, wagon, AWD and easily tunable to be faster than the R. The 5 speed was actually fitting quite nice coming from a 6 speed... I felt like the suspension is setup nice as well. I think the suspension felt somwhere just slightly stiffer than "Sport" mode in the R (advanced is wicked awesome, probably more comparable to an STI) but I liked that, because I always drive the R in sport mode because I like minimal body roll and crisp shifting.

I am about to close a deal here in the next few weeks on a 2012 WRX and I could not be more happier. I know I have only driven volvos my whole life and I feel confident to make the jump to the subaru crowd. I feel like they have just as strong customer base, knowledge, and reliability.

I'm doing the same thing here. Moving from an '07 S60R, ordered a CBS WRX Limited. The Volvo AWD is a Haldex 90%-F 10%-R setup and I hate it. The adjustable suspension has been nothing but issues. Washboard roads in Kansas City have decimated the sensors at each wheel. I've had the car for about two years and it has been in for warranty work on the suspension 6 times and then 5 times for other issues. I also had an S80 when I would travel for business more often. The Volvo's are easily the most comfortable cars I've driven but the maintenance has been unacceptable. I think the WRX' get a bad rap on the interior materials: there are a lot of cars I've recently test driven that have soft plastics, center consoles that wiggle and generally non-durable-looking fitment. Yes, Honda and Toyota, I'm looking at you. Sorry Audi, I really don't want to spend $34k on an interior that looks like a circa 1984 living room.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.