Do modern 350Z's have a turbo?

This is a discussion on Do modern 350Z's have a turbo? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Was nose and nose with a 350Z and it sounded like he had a turbo. I thought the current generation ...

Question Do modern 350Z's have a turbo?

Was nose and nose with a 350Z and it sounded like he had a turbo. I thought the current generation of Z's were entirely NA cars?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Fort Walton Beach, Florida, United States
    they are any forced induction on a Z is aftermarket
    03 WRX
    Perrin Shorty
    Downpipe
    HKS Exhaust

I wondered why he was keeping even so easily lol.

I Support ClubWRX
    What are you driving? Contrary to what many here will assert, VQ-powered cars, though having a boring torque curve, put out respectable power.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

As Ray says, the powerband is almost completely linear in the VQ engine...very odd feeling compared to the boost and peaky curve of the WRX. But again, the VQ is powerful. Get on the gas and next thing you know, you're doing a buck-ten down the highway without realizing.

After Intake, exhaust, plenum spacer, and basic bolt ons...there's nothing you can really do to a 350z other than boost. Most popular thing to do at that point is to run a twin turbo setup at about 7-9psi (rather low due to the high compression ratio of the VQ)...which will net you 400whp every time.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    What are you driving? Contrary to what many here will assert, VQ-powered cars, though having a boring torque curve, put out respectable power.
    This! If you ran into a turbo Z, well he wouldn't barely be keeping up, he'd be beating you pretty handily. (unless you have some major mods on your suby)
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    This! If you ran into a turbo Z, well he wouldn't barely be keeping up, he'd be beating you pretty handily. (unless you have some major mods on your suby)
    Just a larger cold air intake and aftermarket exhaust. We were just accelerating around a corner over a short distance, nothing like actual racing. He just hit the gas and I figured I'd drop him over a short distance past the corner, but he kept about a foot ahead overall and I heard what sounded like a turbo and thought 'hmmm, thought they didn't have turbos...' heh.

The exhaust on some are pretty deep almost sound like turbos or did you hear blowoff
    03 WRX
    Perrin Shorty
    Downpipe
    HKS Exhaust

I Support ClubWRX
    Given properly running vehicles, he either didn't have FI, or wasn't into the gas. In a rolling start, a turbo'ed VQ would leave a mildly modded WRX for dead. I spent some time in the VQ mod forums when I owned a G35. The turbocharged guys were making 400-500hp.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Heard it spooling up as we came out of the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Given properly running vehicles, he either didn't have FI, or wasn't into the gas. In a rolling start, a turbo'ed VQ would leave a mildly modded WRX for dead. I spent some time in the VQ mod forums when I owned a G35. The turbocharged guys were making 400-500hp.
    Might not have been hitting the gas. It was in a suburban area, we weren't burning any clutch lol.

Top end on those cars is pretty good, odds are he had an intake. A turboed 350Z would have been gone. A stock 350Z runs low 14's, and that's because of traction off the line.

I think it prolly wasn't turbo he just prolly got on it before you did cause a turbo z shoulda sprinted into the distance nissan wasn't messing around when they designed the 3.5 and once the turbos added they just put up the numbers the exhaust is done right on thos cars too sound nice and rough stock my buddy bought his g35 cause he loved the exhaust noise so much
    Note: if this dosn't make sense its a 3 day weekend and I'm already a few deep
    03 WRX
    Perrin Shorty
    Downpipe
    HKS Exhaust