Subaru WRX Forum banner

WRX vs 370z vs G35

27K views 40 replies 19 participants last post by  zax 
#1 ·
Hello, new to the board.

Seeing as I will hopefully getting a WRX soon. I have been hearing it from my cousin and brother about my car.

My bro owns a 2010 370z and my cousin owns a 2003 G35.

I'm not really sure if these cars are even in the same league... I've somewhat check the specs to these cars but I'm an up and coming car enthusiast so I'm still a bit new the terms and what things mean.

So how would you guys think it would turn out if we took it to a real track? None of the cars are modded.

#3 ·
Well when I mean I will hopefully be getting a WRX I meant a new one. So this would either be a 2011 or 2012 (I heard these are going to be the same). Even with the difference in hp for the g35, isn't it still possible to beat a car with less hp?

Lets say it was a straight line race vs an oval of some sort?

I know my brothers car has over 300 hp vs the WRX which has the 265. But I heard because of the awd and the tq being what it is for the WRX, it could beat the 370z?

#4 ·
Im sure the new ones would run pretty good with it, the G's weigh ~300lbs more then the subaru and the traction advantage would help a lot... I've heard stories of Subaru's keeping up with many higher caliber cars so it @ould be interesting to see..

#5 ·
I would say that in a straight line from a standstill, you'd take the G35 pretty handily, theyre pretty heavy cars from what I can remember. The Z would depend on the drivers and the length of the race, the shorter the race...advantage WRX, longer race...advantage Z

#8 ·
Relatively speaking:

G35 = refinement, comfort, civility
Older WRX = raw, quirky, fun
Newer WRX = ((raw, quirky, fun)*.75) + ((refinement, comfort, civility)*.75)

My opinion, of course, based on ownership of older WRX's and a G35. I've been in a newer WRX, but haven't driven one.

#9 ·
I havw the same Issue with a friend, he has a 2007 350 and loves to try to give me crap about the 4-door, 4-cyl etc. he lives 1200 miles away so a friendly run at the track isn't in our cards.

But if you look at the Raw facts of the 3 cars totally factory you will be surprised the WRX has them both beat in terms of 0-60 and 1/4mile bone stock regardless of the HP.

you will smoke them 0-60 and they will catch up in the end but not enough.

#10 ·
A fairly broad statement, that.
Stock, a 370Z traps at over 106mph in the quarter, from what I've read. Numerically, at least, (I haven't had a chance to drive one), it appears to be a superior sportscar in just about every way when compared to a stock WRX.

#11 ·
Well here is the 2010 write up in C&D of course only one I found for 2010 was rodaster but it is only 200 lbs more than coupe.

370 Car and Driver

here is the 2011 WRX WRX Car and Driver

I was just going off of what was here, now we both know there are many other factors to these numbers. either way both sexy cars but the 370 are priced a bit higher too.

#12 ·
Nothing is as good as a Subaru WRX

/thread

#14 ·
The most surprising fact to come out of this thread is that car magazines like Car and Driver are still apparently in print. Amazing.

The Infiniti is the better car. The 370Z has been left with the fatal styling mistake (door handles) uncorrected. The Impreza is a great car, especially the hatch, but for a touring/personal motoring car I'd go with the G. Comparing the older G35 with a newer 370Z isn't as fair as comparing current models.

G.

#15 ·
Yeah, after 9 years on the forum, I don't really go in for magazine battles any more. The real question is...how many boxes would it take to pack up the metal fragments of my WRX's transmission after I successfully dispatch a Z-car at the strip? Inquiring minds want to know!

#16 ·
My buddies 2006 G35 can barely keep up in a straight line. It is a nice car but It lacks the speed and agility. A Z is a nice but like the G but they are both heavy cars. The price difference over a 370 and a wrx is alot and hard to compare. In the end on a straight away the new wrx will pull harder then both cars. Its also a lot cheaper to modd and get more power quick out of a wrx then a g or Z...

#17 ·
Both the WRX and the 370Z weigh 3200 lbs. (via Subaru.com and Wikipedia)
The Z makes 320hp, the WRX 265.
Z has 6-speed, WRX 5-speed.
Z driveline losses-2wheels, WRX-4 wheels at speed

The math for how the WRX "pulls hard" on a Z eludes me. And though I am deficient in many areas...I have a bit of math under my belt.

I will give it to you that VQ powered cars don't "feel" fast, if you're used to a forced induction surge, but the new Z is a decent performer, my friends. ;)

#18 ·
Ah so it has got interesting. From what I heard, the lack of a 6th gear makes the 0-60 faster for the WRX vs the Z. Does that make any sense?

So from what I can tell, the G35 has no chance in winning in a quarter mile or 0-60 race yeah?

#24 ·
The 2011 WRX is faster than the 2011 STI in terms of 0-60 (and the STI has 40 more HP) due to the higher power band in lower gears that the WRX generates. Only by about 0.1 to 0.2 seconds though. Change that to a quarter mile race, and the STI wins. I think this scenario is applicable to both other cars that you are trying to compare the WRX too.

#19 ·
I don't know..0-60 is really something that the magazines worry about. It doesn't have a lot of meaning for real life driving, IMO.

#21 ·
agree with above. test drove a 370z before purchasing my wrx and it didn't "feel" like it pulled hard, (although i realize it is a good sports car). Also didn't care for the feel of the suspension and the exhaust sounded horrible. Despite loving the looks of the 370, I was woefully underwhelmed by that test drive. Maybe I'm just a sucker for turbos. Had a huge smile on my face the first time I gunned it in the wrx.

#22 ·
I havn't done a straight line yet but I trash my work buddys g35 every time we leave work the light we start ats an instant turn though so I spool and go before he can go around the corner with sliding the rwd I'm sure the story would be the same with a 370

#23 ·
I had a 350Z Track and they're wonderful little cars. I had a few years of fun with the car but eventually wanted "more" and got into an Evo 8. Then another Evo 8. The next time for a car I looked at the 370Z before I bought my '11 WRX and I was just kinda bored with the Z thing. The 370Z's are awesome but if you've had a 350Z it's just more of the same. The boredom is really mostly just a 'this car does nearly everything' kind of vibe though so that's not a negative

So I can only speak about the 350Z but (more or less) it's extremly similar in feel to the 370Z. The Z's have gobs of torque but don't launch well. So from a stoplight a WRX/370Z might pair up nicely. The Z has way more power but the WRX would immediately get an advantage.

But in a 1/4 I would put my money on a Z. And even modded in the Z I got into the mid 30's mpg hwy which is a pipe dream in a Subaru.

Stock for stock: a 2009+ WRX should handily take a 350Z. A 370Z would likely take the upper hand. But the WRX mods much better so a few tweaks for both cars, and the WRX would walk away. Nissan's ECU tuning is crazy...you gain hp from mods but then it adapts and dials that all back. So every few hundred miles you're nearly back at zero.

#26 ·
End of the day the numbers don't mean anything... Go check out the 370 forums etc, the best I have seen stock was 13.1 with slip posted at the track some said 12.9 but no proof. the car is roughly 10k more than a WRX 350hp w/e and best times are that....
Check our forums there are guys running low 13's in the wrx and launching horrible. the cars are soo close in performance I think Either way IMO it would come down to the driver/conditions etc.

370's are nice but not for around 40k, i'll take my 27k wrx drop 13k into it and laugh at every 370 :)

#33 ·
I agree with you guys about nice cars and all, this honestly was just a scenario that was playing in my head only cause my older cousin would jokingly brag about his g35. (keyword jokingly)

I just figured I'd get your guys input on the whole idea. This is a great place to learn stuff about different cars, not just the WRX.

Granted I haven't got mine yet (WRX) but I really can't wait. Currently driving a 2004 Toyota Corolla (5 speed manual) with about 150,000 miles on it. I have driven my brothers car (370z) and I live in a hilly area. Going up these hills are painfully hard even in 2nd gear... however switching over to my bros car... man what a whole different story...

Just looking forward to getting the WRX. I have no intentions on street racing or really track racing. I want it more for the sake of having a nice powerful car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.