WRX vs 370z vs G35 - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on WRX vs 370z vs G35 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX If I see a 370 drive by, (or a G35, or a 350Z, or an Evo, ...

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post

If I see a 370 drive by, (or a G35, or a 350Z, or an Evo, or a Corvette....), I appreciate the fact that that manufacturer is still giving us a premium RWD, 330hp coupe that looks good and runs like a scalded cat. All of this nitpicking over tenths of a second totally misses the point, IMO. It's okay for other people besides Subaru owners to own nice cars. Really. I promise.
    ^^This is definitely the way I feel about other cars.

As I've gotten more into motorsport, I certainly have gained a greater interest and appreciation for all types of cars. So many cars. So little time. Sometimes I wish I had the means to change vehicles more often. Then again, I'm kinda of attached to the subie.
    Stink-eye Mob #17

2013 WRX STi Sedan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xcEXrdr View Post
    Then again, I'm kinda of attached to the subie.
    yeah, they're quirky, fun little things. It's the reason why I've driven and modified them for the better part of the last 9 years.
    Though, if someone came along with a cherry 1987 Porsche 911 and said that he'd trade me even, I'd have a lot to think about...even though my car is numerically faster to 100mph..
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I agree with you guys about nice cars and all, this honestly was just a scenario that was playing in my head only cause my older cousin would jokingly brag about his g35. (keyword jokingly)

I just figured I'd get your guys input on the whole idea. This is a great place to learn stuff about different cars, not just the WRX.

Granted I haven't got mine yet (WRX) but I really can't wait. Currently driving a 2004 Toyota Corolla (5 speed manual) with about 150,000 miles on it. I have driven my brothers car (370z) and I live in a hilly area. Going up these hills are painfully hard even in 2nd gear... however switching over to my bros car... man what a whole different story...

Just looking forward to getting the WRX. I have no intentions on street racing or really track racing. I want it more for the sake of having a nice powerful car.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternet View Post
    Ah so it has got interesting. From what I heard, the lack of a 6th gear makes the 0-60 faster for the WRX vs the Z. Does that make any sense?

So from what I can tell, the G35 has no chance in winning in a quarter mile or 0-60 race yeah?

Is not the lack of a 6th gear.. its the ratio spread of the 5mt vs the 6mt .. the sti has to get into 3rd to break 60 where the wrx will pull right around 65-68 in 2nd (I've done this..)

But that's only comparing the wrx to sti.. where final drive ratios/wheel height and other factors are similar.

bottom line, 2010 wrx to 2010 Z .. you're going to get stomped. Might not be by much.. but he'll walk on you.

I love my wrx, and I think the 3G car though not as raw is a great car but its NOT a catch all beat all vehicle. Neither is the STI and neither the wrx or sti should be directly compared to a G35/37 coup or 370Z .. very different classes of car. Iconic "apple to orange" sort of deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pdot View Post
    The 2011 WRX is faster than the 2011 STI in terms of 0-60 (and the STI has 40 more HP) due to the higher power band in lower gears that the WRX generates.
    Other way around.. the WRX has a TALLER 2nd gear compared to the STI. Its because of the greater spread I mentioned above only having 5 forward gears with similar final drive ratio vs an extra gear on the STI to keep the spread shorter to keep the engine in the range making the extra hp. THAT is the only reason it gets to 60 quicker.. the WRX is by far the inferior car next to the STI.. 0-60 is pretty useless in the real world. 35-70 is a much more useful comparison.. in which the STI will devastate the WRX every time.
    Last edited by mangostick; 08-26-2011 at 11:07 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    0-60 is pretty useless in the real world. 35-70 is a much more useful comparison.. in which the STI will devastate the WRX every time.
    Which is why I prefer looking at Car and Drivers 5-60 times, which you will see put the WRX at a disadvantage.

Check out this link to a comparison test....and check out the 5-60 times.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...0048f4def0.pdf
    2011 WRX Limited - WR Blue Pearl

I Support ClubWRX
    5-60 times strike me as being much more relevant to real-world concerns.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    yeah, they're quirky, fun little things. It's the reason why I've driven and modified them for the better part of the last 9 years.
    Though, if someone came along with a cherry 1987 Porsche 911 and said that he'd trade me even, I'd have a lot to think about...even though my car is numerically faster to 100mph..
    And if someone comes along and wants to trade me even for a 2011 BMW 1 Series M Coupe, I will hurry up and fumble my keys for the WRX but gladly hand them over
    2011 WRX Limited - WR Blue Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by lordgrinz View Post
    And if someone comes along and wants to trade me even for a 2011 BMW 1 Series M Coupe, I will hurry up and fumble my keys for the WRX but gladly hand them over
    I hope they ask me first!!

There's one listed on ebay right now for 90k
    Stink-eye Mob #17

2013 WRX STi Sedan

WRX is a great car and is very very potential if you know how to mod them properly..anyways, it is not fast enough to be rival of Z, when compared with RSX type S.

Are you saying that you think the RSX-S is more of a rival to the Z than the WRX? O_O
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mckenzie500 View Post
    WRX is a great car and is very very potential if you know how to mod them properly..anyways, it is not fast enough to be rival of Z, when compared with RSX type S.
    wat

This makes noooo sense lol

quarter mile results:
    WRX -- 13.5 @ 101 mph (dragtimes.com)
    370Z -- 13.5 @ 106 mph (dragtimes.com)
    RSX-S -- 14.7 @ 95 mph (dragtimes.com)

As far as outright acceleration, each is about as different as they come
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.