WRX vs 370z vs G35 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs 370z vs G35 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My buddies 2006 G35 can barely keep up in a straight line. It is a nice car but It lacks ...

My buddies 2006 G35 can barely keep up in a straight line. It is a nice car but It lacks the speed and agility. A Z is a nice but like the G but they are both heavy cars. The price difference over a 370 and a wrx is alot and hard to compare. In the end on a straight away the new wrx will pull harder then both cars. Its also a lot cheaper to modd and get more power quick out of a wrx then a g or Z...
    11WRX Ltd - COBB Stage 2+AEM HWG 93 Octane
    COBB Downpipe - SPT Exhaust - AEM Intake
    Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT - JL Audio W6v2 & XD600/1

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Both the WRX and the 370Z weigh 3200 lbs. (via Subaru.com and Wikipedia)
    The Z makes 320hp, the WRX 265.
    Z has 6-speed, WRX 5-speed.
    Z driveline losses-2wheels, WRX-4 wheels at speed

The math for how the WRX "pulls hard" on a Z eludes me. And though I am deficient in many areas...I have a bit of math under my belt.

I will give it to you that VQ powered cars don't "feel" fast, if you're used to a forced induction surge, but the new Z is a decent performer, my friends.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Ah so it has got interesting. From what I heard, the lack of a 6th gear makes the 0-60 faster for the WRX vs the Z. Does that make any sense?

So from what I can tell, the G35 has no chance in winning in a quarter mile or 0-60 race yeah?

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know..0-60 is really something that the magazines worry about. It doesn't have a lot of meaning for real life driving, IMO.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

i drove a z and it did not feel as fast as my wrx when my wrx was stock...now its stage 2 and ur just in another ball game
    11WRX Ltd - COBB Stage 2+AEM HWG 93 Octane
    COBB Downpipe - SPT Exhaust - AEM Intake
    Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT - JL Audio W6v2 & XD600/1

agree with above. test drove a 370z before purchasing my wrx and it didn't "feel" like it pulled hard, (although i realize it is a good sports car). Also didn't care for the feel of the suspension and the exhaust sounded horrible. Despite loving the looks of the 370, I was woefully underwhelmed by that test drive. Maybe I'm just a sucker for turbos. Had a huge smile on my face the first time I gunned it in the wrx.

Fort Walton Beach, Florida, United States
    I havn't done a straight line yet but I trash my work buddys g35 every time we leave work the light we start ats an instant turn though so I spool and go before he can go around the corner with sliding the rwd I'm sure the story would be the same with a 370
    03 WRX
    Perrin Shorty
    Downpipe
    HKS Exhaust

I had a 350Z Track and they're wonderful little cars. I had a few years of fun with the car but eventually wanted "more" and got into an Evo 8. Then another Evo 8. The next time for a car I looked at the 370Z before I bought my '11 WRX and I was just kinda bored with the Z thing. The 370Z's are awesome but if you've had a 350Z it's just more of the same. The boredom is really mostly just a 'this car does nearly everything' kind of vibe though so that's not a negative

So I can only speak about the 350Z but (more or less) it's extremly similar in feel to the 370Z. The Z's have gobs of torque but don't launch well. So from a stoplight a WRX/370Z might pair up nicely. The Z has way more power but the WRX would immediately get an advantage.

But in a 1/4 I would put my money on a Z. And even modded in the Z I got into the mid 30's mpg hwy which is a pipe dream in a Subaru.

Stock for stock: a 2009+ WRX should handily take a 350Z. A 370Z would likely take the upper hand. But the WRX mods much better so a few tweaks for both cars, and the WRX would walk away. Nissan's ECU tuning is crazy...you gain hp from mods but then it adapts and dials that all back. So every few hundred miles you're nearly back at zero.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

The 2011 WRX is faster than the 2011 STI in terms of 0-60 (and the STI has 40 more HP) due to the higher power band in lower gears that the WRX generates. Only by about 0.1 to 0.2 seconds though. Change that to a quarter mile race, and the STI wins. I think this scenario is applicable to both other cars that you are trying to compare the WRX too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternet View Post
    Ah so it has got interesting. From what I heard, the lack of a 6th gear makes the 0-60 faster for the WRX vs the Z. Does that make any sense?

So from what I can tell, the G35 has no chance in winning in a quarter mile or 0-60 race yeah?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pdot View Post
    The 2011 WRX is faster than the 2011 STI in terms of 0-60 (and the STI has 40 more HP) due to the higher power band in lower gears that the WRX generates. Only by about 0.1 to 0.2 seconds though. Change that to a quarter mile race, and the STI wins. I think this scenario is applicable to both other cars that you are trying to compare the WRX too.
    Wheel horsepower between the 2011 WRX and 2011 STi are staggeringly close: Looks to be that the WRX is putting down about 225-230 whp on the same dynos that the STis are putting down around 230-235 whp. Given the fact that the STi is about 200 pounds heavier, the acceleration is likely close. The reason for this is that the STi driveline is considerably more stout, meaning more mass in rotation and larger brakes = more mass in rotation. Paired with a more complex mechanical AWD system and you have a greater % of bhp lost before the wheels.

Both cars seem to run the quarter in around 13.5 @ 101-102mph
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

End of the day the numbers don't mean anything... Go check out the 370 forums etc, the best I have seen stock was 13.1 with slip posted at the track some said 12.9 but no proof. the car is roughly 10k more than a WRX 350hp w/e and best times are that....
    Check our forums there are guys running low 13's in the wrx and launching horrible. the cars are soo close in performance I think Either way IMO it would come down to the driver/conditions etc.

370's are nice but not for around 40k, i'll take my 27k wrx drop 13k into it and laugh at every 370
    ~Dan~ 2011 WRX Limited Stage 2 TP Stinkeye Mob #93

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kcwrxfan View Post
    i'll take my 27k wrx drop 13k into it and laugh at every 370
    LOL...I spent 13K for a used WRX, dropped another 10K into it, and I just feel like a goofus.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    LOL...I spent 13K for a used WRX, dropped another 10K into it, and I just feel like a goofus.
    You only spent $10K??
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    my point is for the 40k a 370 costs I'd still rather have my WRX any day of the week.
    ~Dan~ 2011 WRX Limited Stage 2 TP Stinkeye Mob #93

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    You only spent $10K??
    Can't get much by you, can I, Zachy?
    Truth to tell, by the time you factor in the hybrid build, aftermarket clutch, pipes, engine management, springs, struts, cluster, wheels, and stereo, not including continual items like tires...I'm probably in for around $15K.
    Oh well, at least I probably CAN beat up on a 370Z, or my car could with a decent driver.

Quote Originally Posted by kcwrxfan View Post
    my point is for the 40k a 370 costs I'd still rather have my WRX any day of the week.
    Oh, agreed, but probably for different reasons. I think my point is that the whole fanboi thing has gotten pretty worn out around here. I've never really been a "I will prove at all costs that ALL CARS SUCK except for the one I'm currently driving!" kinda guy. I like cars, period. You see a 370 drive by, and (based on your rhetoric) say "Psshhh...big deal. With another $13,000 invested, my car would sure be more awesome than THAT. I'll be laughing!!"

If I see a 370 drive by, (or a G35, or a 350Z, or an Evo, or a Corvette....), I appreciate the fact that that manufacturer is still giving us a premium RWD, 330hp coupe that looks good and runs like a scalded cat. All of this nitpicking over tenths of a second totally misses the point, IMO. It's okay for other people besides Subaru owners to own nice cars. Really. I promise.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.