2011 WRX wheel size
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX wheel size within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, i know the stock wheels for the 2011 WRX's are 17x8s. Just curious, as I would like to ...

2011 WRX wheel size

Hey guys, i know the stock wheels for the 2011 WRX's are 17x8s. Just curious, as I would like to purchase an aftermarket set of wheels in the near future, at how big can I afford to go? I knwo the STi has 18x8.5s, so can the WRX use the same size wheels?? or is the STi different in some way that allows it have even Bigger tires than the wrx? the smallest id like to go is 18x8s, but id like 18x8.5s or 18x9s if i could, that way i could slap on some Volks Racing Rims haha

bottom line anyone know what the largest size wheel you can put on a 2011 wrx without the top of the wheels extending out past the fenders, and also the largest in circumference? (i.e 18s, 19,s, 20s, etc.)

Appreciate all feedback.

BTW i know this isnt posted in the right forum but i dont know how to move it over :S haha please forgive
    Last edited by J_Maher_WRX; 08-02-2011 at 10:41 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The STI's have a different bolt pattern, but a wheel of that dimension can be used.

STI 5x114
    WRX 5x100

and how stupid do you guys think this would look if i put 19s on it, hypothetically speaking of course as i dont even know if 19s CAN go on it, but still, ive fallen in love with these rays vold VR.G2 wheels haha

Volk VR.G2 Wheel 19x8.5 5x114.3

ahh ok i see, so the bold pattern ultimately governs what type of wheel you can have? assuming that the bolt pattern has to be identical, and then the size/width is up to the driver?? any idea whats largest size/width that can fit and look ok? im leaning towards 18s, but i also saw these Volk GTS ones:

Volk Racing GTS Wheel 19x8.0 5x100

that are 19's but have the same bolt pattern.

KHP
    Personally I think it would look funny even 18's on the wrx looks a little wrong. I'm basing it to the point where the brakes wont fill the inside of the wheel. You need to get BBK to make it look right, but unless you track the car BBK's don't make a lot of sense. If it was me I would stay with 17's.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Bolt pattern governs if a wheel will actualy "bolt up" to the hub. Diameter, width, offset, and tire size govern whether or not a wheel will fit properly and not rub at various spots.

Also keep in mind wheel weight. If you are getting a wheel that is heavier than stock, you are actually decreasing performance.

Other than that, I have no idea what the biggest wheel you can run is. Try going on tirerack.com and using their website to view wheel sizes.
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

Bolt pattern, Offset, wheel width, and wheel size are all important, when choosing a wheel.

Please read this thread.
    Wheel FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying some! - NASIOC

Quote Originally Posted by Hold_Fast View Post
    Bolt pattern governs if a wheel will actualy "bolt up" to the hub. Diameter, width, offset, and tire size govern whether or not a wheel will fit properly and not rub at various spots.

Also keep in mind wheel weight. If you are getting a wheel that is heavier than stock, you are actually decreasing performance.

Other than that, I have no idea what the biggest wheel you can run is. Try going on tirerack.com and using their website to view wheel sizes.
    yeah true enough, im not sure about the weight of stock 2011 wrx alloys, im just assuming that the forged set im looking at would be lighter, maybe not tho due to the increased size

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    Personally I think it would look funny even 18's on the wrx looks a little wrong. I'm basing it to the point where the brakes wont fill the inside of the wheel. You need to get BBK to make it look right, but unless you track the car BBK's don't make a lot of sense. If it was me I would stay with 17's.
    well i dont track at the moment, to be honest theres no tracks in Newfoundland Canada where i live :P hahaha but i do plan on starting to rally at some point in the very near future, so BBK will def come into play. ive always kinda thought when i looked at the 17s on it as of now, that the car almost seems hunkered down or lowered a bit too much, i was thinking that the 18s would help that and look more proportional to the massive flared fenders and large wheel well.

I Support ClubWRX
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG

I have a set of 18x9.5 with 265/35/18 and I had to roll the rear fender so they wouldn't rub but they look awesome. I bought a fender roller so it wasn't a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ying View Post
    thanks man, this helped a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by sjcurtis View Post
    I have a set of 18x9.5 with 265/35/18 and I had to roll the rear fender so they wouldn't rub but they look awesome. I bought a fender roller so it wasn't a problem.
    seriously? thats awesome man, but excuse my ignorance, ive very little experience/knowledge when it comes to these things, but what exactly do you mean by rolling the fenders? as in purposely bending the lip of the fender outward so that it doesnt rub???

i bet the car handles like its on rails now due to those wider tires haha do you find it hard though as a daily driver? i mean where they are such low profile? i live in Newfoundland canada, and our roads are literally covered in bumps and potholes due to the weather, you think it would be worth my time getting such a low profile as those or would it not be worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by J_Maher_WRX View Post
    seriously? thats awesome man, but excuse my ignorance, ive very little experience/knowledge when it comes to these things, but what exactly do you mean by rolling the fenders? as in purposely bending the lip of the fender outward so that it doesnt rub???
    That's exactly what it means. Here's the type of tool he was referencing.
    Rolling Your Fenders w/Eastwood Fender Roller - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by J_Maher_WRX View Post
    i bet the car handles like its on rails now due to those wider tires haha do you find it hard though as a daily driver? i mean where they are such low profile? i live in Newfoundland canada, and our roads are literally covered in bumps and potholes due to the weather, you think it would be worth my time getting such a low profile as those or would it not be worth it?
    With the roads you drive on, you should probably stick to 17"s.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.