2010 WRX vs. 2012 Mustang GT - Page 9
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2010 WRX vs. 2012 Mustang GT within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Venom351R so far the 03/04 Cobra is the only one to come with IRS, some loved it ...

Quote Originally Posted by Venom351R View Post
    so far the 03/04 Cobra is the only one to come with IRS, some loved it some hated it. Drag racers hated it and swapped a lot of them out for the regular 8.8 rear ends. Not sure about the shelbys as far as IRS goes I dont really follow those as much b/c they are to expensive although I wouldn't pass up the chance to have a Super Snake if the option ever presented its self lol

I was referring to the 4v. They didn't only come in cobras. 03 & 04 mach's had them to. It was practally the same as the n/a cobras of the 98-01 cobras. They had slightly different cam profiles and head designs. For the money I spent ordering my 2013 sti I could have bought a boss but living in Alaska that's unpractical as a year round car. That's why I traded my Mach 1 for my lifted f250 diesel.

You are correct about the IRS. Only the termies have them. A guy I work with is rebuilding his cobra with a solid axle. He has limited the IRS and can't get any more traction with it. Before he tore it apart he was running low 9's and still drove it on the street.

in stock form a 2V did not put down 270-285 on the dyno. I think your mixing it up w/ the 4V Cobra which was rated at 305. If they were putting down 270 on the dyno then they would have had around 320 at the engine not 305 which is not uncommon for ford to underrate performance especially in the Cobra's. The 2V 4.6 probably put down around 185 and 220 TQ. Even guys with the full PI Swaps were putting down less then 250.

it was mostly b/c of the lack of aftermarket support. All these years later they are now just getting other cylinder head options. For a long time the only option was the PI swap which was a better flowing head and intake from ford that they put on the later 4.6's but it was still no huge power jump like going full aftermarket like with trick flow. The 96-98 2V 4.6 was a step back for ford but also paved the way for the new 5.0 which they got completely right. The 96-98 Cobra 4V was a nice engine but the 2V just never got any aftermarket love and never really took off as a performance engine. Ive never owned a 4.6 Ive had 5 Mustangs all pushrods from 5.0's (302) to 5.8's (351W) but I would not mind owning a Modular engine Mustang if it was one of the specialty ones like the 2000 Cobra R which has a 5.4 Modular. Id love to see a comparison test between a 2000 Cobra R, the new Boss 302 and a WRX/STI as far as the road course/ AutoX. The Boss would beat out all of them based on HP but I'm speaking in pure terms if handling, would be quite inserting. I think secretly Id be pulling for the 2000 R just b/c its such an awesome rare Mustang. My friend Mike has one I envy him every time I see it, which is only in his garage b/c he never drives the damn thing lol
    2013 STI Limited: on order as of 08/18/2012
    2005 F250: Lifted sitting on 38's. Current daily driver.
    2004 MACH 1: Fast, Loud, Sold
    1992 Bronco: Sold
    2002 Civic SI: SLOWMO

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oh yeah I forgot all about the Mach 1's, they are nice cars dont know why I never remember them. Guy from work used to have a blue one but did not have it for to long. He has a subaru now, him and another guy have the legacy I think.... I know they are not imprezza's. Then I got the STI and they were like...*sigh*. Another guy has a WRX w/ a FMIC but I'm not sure what else is done to it, he works nights and I'm no days so I never see him around I just see it in the parking lot. Another guy has a Ecplise GT w/ an angry noise maker sticking out of the back of it, guess some stuff is done to it but no idea what.
    2007 WRX STI- Stock 13.8@102

Is it just me or was my last post just a quote? Because I promise I did write something... I'm confused

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you place your writing inside of the quote tags?
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Yep I found it. Stupid iPhone...
    "I was referring to the 4v. They didn't only come in cobras. 03 & 04 mach's had them to. It was practally the same as the n/a cobras of the 98-01 cobras. They had slightly different cam profiles and head designs. For the money I spent ordering my 2013 sti I could have bought a boss but living in Alaska that's unpractical as a year round car. That's why I traded my Mach 1 for my lifted f250 diesel. "

Ive done that before, I found your post in the quote though.
    2007 WRX STI- Stock 13.8@102

Wow, very interesting. I was googling autocross tires for my Mustang, and this thread pops up at the top! I'm the OP, and I had completely forgot about this thread. And it is 9 pages now, wow.

Anyway, I still have the Mustang. I did CAI, tune, and Roush exhaust. It is fast and sounds great. I've had zero problems with it. Wore out the tires at 10K miles. Now that winter is approaching I am starting to miss the WRX. Even without snow it sucks having no traction with summer tires and cold weather. I think I'm going to go with all seasons and use another set of tires/wheels for auto-x (hence the google search which brought me here). I have a winter beater for snowy days, but if I had the $ I would have both the 'stang and WRX.

I read talk about the Getrag tranny. It is actually very good. It is German, happens to be made in China (like most things these globalized days) and there are some lemons out there, but the overall design is very good. I love mine, it handles a lot more power than Subie trannies, and I had no problems with it.
    2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium (Brembos, 3.73's)
    previous/other cars:
    2010 Subaru WRX (Stage 1 tune, SPT exhaust)
    2008 Mazdaspeed 3 (Mazdaspeed CAI)
    2001 Audi S4
    1994 Ford Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by gimli View Post
    I read talk about the Getrag tranny. It is actually very good. It is German, happens to be made in China (like most things these globalized days) and there are some lemons out there, but the overall design is very good. I love mine, it handles a lot more power than Subie trannies, and I had no problems with it.
    Which Subaru gearbox are you referring to? WRX, maybe. STI, no. STI trannies are pretty much bullet-proof.

Quote Originally Posted by NoVASTi View Post
    Which Subaru gearbox are you referring to? WRX, maybe. STI, no. STI trannies are pretty much bullet-proof.
    Truf.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Nothing is without weakness in trannyland.

Six speed is damn near bulletproof for most, but Gadiel sure hated the output shafts.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post

Six speed is damn near bulletproof for most, but Gadiel sure hated the output shafts.
    True...the driveshaft and axles are the weak link there...and even the rear diff....
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    That is what I meant (in bold).

Gadiel is the exception (there are probably very few exceptions).

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    True...the driveshaft and axles are the weak link there...and even the rear diff....
    The driveshaft and axles aren't internal to the transmission (they are a part of the drivetrain, though).

Quote Originally Posted by NoVASTi View Post
    As the title of the thread states, he's comparing the Mustang to his 2010 wrx.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Re: 2010 WRX vs. 2012 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    As the title of the thread states, he's comparing the Mustang to his 2010 wrx.
    In his latest post, he stated "subis" which implies all.

I Support ClubWRX

--Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.