2010 WRX vs. 2012 Mustang GT - Page 7
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2010 WRX vs. 2012 Mustang GT within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by zax I honestly think people are just more motivated by "who's faster" these days than the joy ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I honestly think people are just more motivated by "who's faster" these days than the joy of driving.
    ^^^This.Which is why HP numbers are of no interest to me.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Its not about how fast ya get there, but how much you enjoy the ride.

that said I dont enjoy mestangs much at all.. lol
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post

However I just do not think those 944s are remotely good looking. They look like a more rounded version of the old POS Dodge Daytona.
    Yep, it's hard to beat our accessorized Japanese econoboxes for raw secksiness.

On a less sarcastic note...the 944 was introduced in 1982... It's curves and lines were quite nice in the context of the time.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

What a strange and interesting thread this was....

I bought my 05 Mustang GT Vert while still owning my 02 WRX... I figured one for sunny days and one for rainy days....and that worked... until my work took me to Germany and I was forced to chose. And since the Mustang was supercharged by then, it "won" the competition to go over. Eventually I came back; and I brought my GT back, along with my M3. Recently I was in a position to buy a 2012 Boss 302... so now I have 3 cars, probably one too many. My brother bought my WRX from my Dad who I sold it to...for a very low price... I got screwed.

Anyways.... I love the value of the WRX. Its an amazing car. But it "aint all that". No one likes to hear that do they? Sorry. That being said; if I was in a stable life and had the chance, I would consider one... although the BRZ....
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

Quote Originally Posted by turboman38 View Post
    I'm not a Ford fan but feel the Mustang is the best bang for the buck out there. However, I drive my car on a daily basis and the big thing that was not mentioned here is that the Mustang cannot compare to the WRX in bad weather. For a second car or a warm client the Mustang is a great car. Has anybody tried to drive a new Mustang in the snow, just curious?
    Great write up!
    I do not suggest driving one in the snow. When I first moved to Alaska (in February) the only vehicle I had was my Mach 1 with nitto 555 r's and it was the sketchiest feeling in the world. The rear end loves to go faster than the front end. The only mustangs I see in the winter are beater V6's with studded tires.
    2013 STI Limited: on order as of 08/18/2012
    2005 F250: Lifted sitting on 38's. Current daily driver.
    2004 MACH 1: Fast, Loud, Sold
    1992 Bronco: Sold
    2002 Civic SI: SLOWMO

Quote Originally Posted by 2013STI View Post
    I do not suggest driving one in the snow. When I first moved to Alaska (in February) the only vehicle I had was my Mach 1 with nitto 555 r's and it was the sketchiest feeling in the world. The rear end loves to go faster than the front end. The only mustangs I see in the winter are beater V6's with studded tires.
    I wouldn't expect much out of a drag radial in the snow.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Mach 1 with nitto 555 r's
    What do you expect?? Those tires are not supposed to be run in the rain much less snow! Not to mention the compound is optimized for 50 degree F+ temps...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    I wouldn't expect much out of a drag radial in the snow.
    seriously.

As long as you drive correctly, and get a proper set of snow tires, you can really drive anything in the snow. I handled my 350z fine in the snow...wasn't optimal, but I knew how to drive it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    What a strange and interesting thread this was....

I bought my 05 Mustang GT Vert while still owning my 02 WRX... I figured one for sunny days and one for rainy days....and that worked... until my work took me to Germany and I was forced to chose. And since the Mustang was supercharged by then, it "won" the competition to go over. Eventually I came back; and I brought my GT back, along with my M3. Recently I was in a position to buy a 2012 Boss 302... so now I have 3 cars, probably one too many. My brother bought my WRX from my Dad who I sold it to...for a very low price... I got screwed.

Anyways.... I love the value of the WRX. Its an amazing car. But it "aint all that". No one likes to hear that do they? Sorry. That being said; if I was in a stable life and had the chance, I would consider one... although the BRZ....
    Well.. of course it "aint all that" .. its a turbo econobox. It was never designed to be a super car nor compete in the luxury markets. That last mention really gets me going about new owners too. They're expecting mercedes or bimmer quality out of a turbo econobox and get all bent because it doesn't have it. I see this as an owner issue not a car issue.

The mustang though, isn't all that either and honestly I've no Idea why you thought the sc'd mustang would be better in Europe with fuel costs the way they are and how small some of those roads are. (Though I gotta admit.. that beast had to run its ass off on the autoban ) Personally I'd have taken the scoobie and still came back with the M. Now that is a fine machine Nice pick on that one.

The mustang is lacking in area's that other mfr's have improved. The live axle for instance... why? .. its a truck rear end, and every mustang I've driven (every generation/evolution since 1965 with exception to the mustangII) had that same hoppity hop loose rear problem that pickup trucks have. Its a car... you shouldn't be able to jump from a 2wd f-150 into the stang and have the odd thought that they handle similarly. My favorite quote about it came from a review of the BRZ and V6 mustang. The reviewer mentions that the mustang has the best live axle rear on any production car. After that he says " its like saying you're the healthiest guy in the ICU " ... makes sense when all the competition has IRS designs that have no issue handling hp and dont skip the rear all over around bumpy corners.

The 4.6.. was a garbage motor... I'm still not sure what Ford was thinkin on that one. Its bigger, heavier and makes less power than the previous pushrod low tech 302ci engines. It was probably more expensive to produce too and that doesn't make any sense. I'm sure it was emissions that pushed it into production but still.... ugh.
    The new 5.0 engine though.. .. now THAT is what they should have done earlier on and I'm glad they've fixed that in the new mustangs. I was pretty impressed when I stomped in one.. fkn a that thing GOES.

All mustangs are weak chassis wise.. they flex all over the effin place. To me its one of the most disconcerting feelings while driving. This is why subframe kits are so populuar. Dunno, when I look under my turbo econobox I see frame rail that runs the lenghth of the floorboard. I can jack up the lr and the lf comes off the ground with it. After jacking up a corner I can still open/close the doors too. You cannot do that with any factory equipment mustang... or camaro.. and I've not tried it with a newere mopar so I dont know for sure.

Comes down to personal preference. I could run down a list like this for the impreza too.. its just in different areas. All cars are compromises by the mfr to meet market/production/legal demands and requirements. The impreza and mustang were never meant to directly compete against each other. They're two very different chassis platforms with very different intent for use. Comparing the two is like comparing a apple to a banana. Sure they're both fruit but that's where it ends.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    You mean my $25K bargain-bin sport wagon isn't the besterest and most amazingest car in teh world???1!1!!!

2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    What do you expect?? Those tires are not supposed to be run in the rain much less snow! Not to mention the compound is optimized for 50 degree F+ temps...
    I honestly didn't expect much. But I could get around on a normal basis. Even with snow tires that car would just spin them. It was a low weight over the rear and low gearing/high torque that made the car hard to drive in the snow. So the op's car with 3.73's and light rear would be a nightmare.
    2013 STI Limited: on order as of 08/18/2012
    2005 F250: Lifted sitting on 38's. Current daily driver.
    2004 MACH 1: Fast, Loud, Sold
    1992 Bronco: Sold
    2002 Civic SI: SLOWMO

I have a few things I have to mention.

You say the live rear axle is crap... Yet the design is flawless for drag racing and can handle WAY more abuse than a wrx, so if doing weekend drags is your thing the wrx loses there. IRS systems hop 10x more than a live rear, and it's easily fixed with some LCAs and relocation brackets.

The 4.6 is no weak motor if your talking the 4v dohc in the 03/04 cobra (it's fully forged from factory and takes 700rwhp bone stock), calling it crap is blasphemy unless you consider the wrx motor junk. Even the 96-98 cobra motor will outwork a ej257 easily stock vs stock. The one in the gts isnt great, but neither is the rest of that car besides the 8.8 rear.

My fbodys can easily open a door being jacked up as well.. Dunno where you got that. I do it every time I change the oil.

The 03 cobra I drove and both my fbody cars feel as solid as my 05 sti in every way, and even more so than my 02 with $2000 in the suspension. All I could complain about was body roll, which sway bars fix easily.

You get what you pay for with both. You get a car that can drag race and take serious abuse right from ford, with a motor that takes little to no mods to make outstanding numbers with. The Subaru you get a 4 door, AWD economy car with a small amount of pep, and average mpgs. Depending on what you want out of the car, they both have a lot to offer in different areas. Like I said tho, if your into going fast on the straights and weekend drag racing, the mustang craps on the wrx and sti 6 ways to Sunday. If you want something that can tear it up in the snow, seat 4-5 comfortably, and look different doing it the wrx is for you. Either does work in any kind of auto x. Been there, drove both of them in many different forms, and I prefer the mustang over the wrx. Personally preference, but the sound/power/raw feel of the mustang wins over exiting a corner fast and doing launches.. Maybe that's just me, but it's my opinion.

I'm not trying to say subarus aren't great cars because they are, and the offer a lot of goodies for the money. Theres plenty of cars I'd take over one tho. 08+ 135i BMW with the n54, obviously my fbodys and newer mustangs, the camaro zl1 is a steal for 45-50k as well.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

I Support ClubWRX
    Glad to have the "other opinion", here. I certainly never thought of the 4.6 as a garbage motor..seems like they produced a little over 215hp when new in '94 (reasonable V8 numbers, at the time), and then went as high as 300 in normally aspirated form. I don't remember the pushrods making anything like that in stock, non-Cobra form. Unless I'm wrong, isn't the new 5.0 simply the latest evolution of the modular engine approach?

One thing, though...part of the Subaru mystique is indeed the price point. You get a versatile, adequately performing car for under $30K. It's a little disingenuous to start comparing it to cars like the 135, the ZL1, etc, which are quite a bit pricier. My local Bimmer dealer is selling those in the $40,000 and $50,000 range, ($60K for the convertible)
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Glad to have the "other opinion", here. I certainly never thought of the 4.6 as a garbage motor..seems like they produced a little over 215hp when new in '94 (reasonable V8 numbers, at the time), and then went as high as 300 in normally aspirated form. I don't remember the pushrods making anything like that in stock, non-Cobra form. Unless I'm wrong, isn't the new 5.0 simply the latest evolution of the modular engine approach?

One thing, though...part of the Subaru mystique is indeed the price point. You get a versatile, adequately performing car for under $30K. It's a little disingenuous to start comparing it to cars like the 135, the ZL1, etc, which are quite a bit pricier. My local Bimmer dealer is selling those in the $40,000 and $50,000 range, ($60K for the convertible)
    True, I got a little off track there with the zl1 lol. I find the 135s for 28-30 with low miles and 1 owner on craigslist a lot, I'd never take the the plunge on a new car but that's my preference. Too each his own, each car has it's goods and bads, depends which is beet for your needs. I'd love to have another Subaru, I'm considering trading my Camaro in on a used 04 sti with low miles and mods sometime soon
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

That had more to do with the Nitto tires then the car its self. Not saying the Mustang is a great winter car but when you have a tire like that of course its not going to do well. My STI is crap in the snow w/ my summer tires, thing would barley stay on the road when we got hit by an early unexpected snow storm last oct. Does that mean the STI is crap in the snow......of course not.
    2007 WRX STI- Stock 13.8@102