2010 WRX vs. 2012 Mustang GT - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2010 WRX vs. 2012 Mustang GT within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Chinese transmission?...

I Support ClubWRX
    Chinese transmission?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
    For $10k more? Turns out there is!

I know, I was surprised too.
    Is it better or simply faster? My friend has a 2011 5.0 and dropped another $5k in it and it is ridiculously fast (on dry pavement).
    I personally would like to see an STI vs 5.0 time attack (both stock). I suspect the winner would be Subby.
    Anyone know if that test has been done recently?

What's your definition of Better?

are you asking me or Zax and Injen (users who posted it's better)?

Banned
    The mustang GT is not 10k more, base price is 29,900. Unless you only paid 20k for your new WRX then your math is way off.

As far as STI vs. GT on a track, the GT is much faster and handles much better on tarmac. The power band is enormous compared to the STI ( when you hit the gas below 3500 rpm you actually move) the Sti is plagued with understeer and none low end power. Like someone posted earlier, there really isnt anything you can compare to the WRX/Sti, the GT and Sti are 2 completely different animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Chinese transmission?
    I've heard some people talking about this online. A friend of mine has 80 time slips from his 2011 GT so far and has yet to break anything. Every pass was with drag radials and a hard launch.

If snow didn't exist here I'd most likely have a new GT. Bolt on's and tune gets you a car that will trap 120 in the 1/4.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    There are a lot of better cars than the subaru but you'll either spend more or your needs are different than what the wrx fits. For what it does and the way it does it, its hard to find an exact comparison in other brands. Its not so much as its better, but its not directly comparable. I was very very near buying the a3 wagon.. I still think they look better hands down than the wrx/sti.. but couldn't get it in a true manual trans with awd. I didn't want an auto, even if it was one of those super nifty dual clutch flappy paddle ones. So that again brought me back to the subaru.
    Agreed. AFAICT if you're looking for a "fast" non-transverse-FWD stick shift wagon/hatch, the WRX is your only option right now outside higher priced vehicles like the 3 series or CTS wagon. This is what I was looking for, and I'm glad the WRX exists in this form because there were literally no other cars that would've fit the bill almost totally without compromise.

I'd say that there are plenty of "better" performance cars in the same ballpark wrt price, including the Mustang GT and the 370z (and perhaps the FR-S/BRZ for some people), but none of those is going to be a nice car for hauling stuff, passengers, or dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXN SHOP View Post
    Is it better or simply faster? My friend has a 2011 5.0 and dropped another $5k in it and it is ridiculously fast (on dry pavement).
    I personally would like to see an STI vs 5.0 time attack (both stock). I suspect the winner would be Subby.
    Anyone know if that test has been done recently?
    I can't watch the video at work, but this video is claimed to have it:

Lightning Lap 2011: LL2 Class - CAR and DRIVER - YouTube

Also claimed that GT > STI. We'll see.

Banned

Cool video. The Sti gets spanked, the GT's best lap was a little over 5sec faster than the Sti's. Which is an eternity in racing. The GT is the best performance bargain going right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Chinese transmission?
    Ford, in their infinite wisdom switched away from Tremec and went with the Chinese made Getrag MT 82 to keep costs low. They had issues with their transmissions blowing up when the 5.0 hit the market. Regardless, it's going to take a lot of convincing to get me back in a POS Ford car again.

My 1996 Thunderbird and 2006 Mustang GT were both crap cars and both left me completely stranded. The Thunderbird left me stranded when the composite intake blew up and instapegged the temperature gauge. In that stranding, I was 5 miles away from home. My 2006 Mustang left me stranded in Florida after a torrential downpour where water leaked in through the cowl and shorted out the Smart Junction Box. In that case, I was over 360 miles away from home and had to pay three additional hotel days while Ford sourced the part and fixed the car. Sadly, with the Mestang, that was only the beginning of my problems... Looking back, I should have just left it in Florida and stopped paying the note on it. Hey, you want your POS? It's at a dealership in Fort Walton Beach.
    Last edited by gunz4me; 05-22-2012 at 12:16 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Having been in a Chinese production environment just last week, this idea is a little frightening, unless we're talking commodities or simple goods. Say what you will about quality control in the U.S....many shops in China are decades behind us.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    The race to the bottom makes me a sad panda.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Registered User Reverand Hustle's Avatar

This video is great. Did they say that the STi was slower on the straight than the WRX? Why is that? Lighter?

But here's a contrasting look at the brz and mustang from a "driver feel" point of view. Its clear the stang IS the faster car.. we know the brz is underpowered but handles seriously better out of the box than the wrx or sti does.

OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    But here's a contrasting look at the brz and mustang from a "driver feel" point of view. Its clear the stang IS the faster car.. we know the brz is underpowered but handles seriously better out of the box than the wrx or sti does.

If these 2 cars would get together and make a baby, then a porsche 911 turbo and an M3 got together and made a baby, then those two babies somehow got together and made a baby, then we would have the perfect car.