2010 WRX vs. 2012 Mustang GT - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2010 WRX vs. 2012 Mustang GT within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; It's funny because I've gone from Mustang to WRX back to Mustang. Specifically, I had a 2000 Mustang GT, traded ...

It's funny because I've gone from Mustang to WRX back to Mustang. Specifically, I had a 2000 Mustang GT, traded that in for an '04 WRX, then went to an '05 Legacy GT, and then to an '08 Mustang GT. I owned these for about 3 years before each trade (except the WRX, had for about a year and a half).

I really enjoyed all the cars, especially the Legacy GT. But the main complaint I had about the Subarus is the lack of torque compared to the Mustang. Obviously this is going to be the case when you're comparing a four cylinder to a V8. But I found it annoying that every time I had a friend or two get in the Subaru it felt like an entirely different car. The extra weight easily bogged down these vehicles. The Mustang, while I'm sure the extra 150-300lbs added from friends did affect performance, the car never really "felt" different.

Additionally, mods are abundant and cheap for the Mustang. I think I paid something like $500+ dollars for a Cobb ECU tuner for the Legacy GT and that same amount bought a tuner and cold-air intake for the Mustang.

Reliability-wise, I never had a problem with any of them...well, except the Legacy had some ECU issues that caused the radiator fan to always run, but that was it.

If I was looking to purchase a new vehicle it would definitely be a Ford or Subaru. It really depends on what your needs are. If you do not need the AWD and 4-doors, then I think the Mustang is a no brainer (I've seen V6s brand new go for under 20k and 5.0's for less than 26k). But if you live in a region where you get snow and/or have children, I think the WRX might be a better fit.
    *2004 San Remo Red WRX*
    - K&N Air Filter
    - Borla Cat-Back Exhaust

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I went from a 2006 Mustang GT to a 2012 WRX, and thus far I couldn't be happier with the change. My main complaint about the Mustang was how it beat the hell out of me, and now that I am getting older, the novelty of being semi-quick in a straight line while my back takes a beating was getting old.

I like the WRX because I can see out of it whereas the Mustang was blind spot hell. My wife likes the ride of it compared to both my former Mustang and even likes it better than her 2011 Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT. I purchased it because I always wanted one of the AWD Subarus, and the timing was just right. I also never thought I would see the day where I would find a car that balances out being practical with useful space while being fun to drive.

Interesting thread. I own a 2011 Mustang GT and have to tell you, the manual transmissions in these cars are a train wreck. Unlike the GT500, Challenger, Corvette, Camaro, and CTS-V which all use the Tremec TR6060 transmission, Ford decided to save $$$$ and import a sub-par Getrag from China... And they're a mess. I've been through 2of them and have been in a lemon suit since last April. Just Google "mustang mt82 transmission problems" or checkout brokenstangs.com and you'll see I'm not alone.

That said, I'm looking for a replacement car and the WRX is on the list.

If Ford keeps up at this rate of using cheaper and cheaper parts they are going to put themselves out of business. Hell if you look at one of the new F150s the freaking ford logo in the front grill starts fading out within the first year and the chrome center caps start staining before they are even sold of the lot new. I used to be a Ford guy when they where a American company but now since they are made in Mexico and most of the parts come from China I will only be buying Japanese.

I Support ClubWRX
    That's disappointing to hear with regard to the components. Ford, in my opinion has done a number of things right over the last few years, and I want them to do well. It's time for the American car manufacturers to make their comeback!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    That's disappointing to hear with regard to the components. Ford, in my opinion has done a number of things right over the last few years, and I want them to do well. It's time for the American car manufacturers to make their comeback!
    "American" car manufacturer

I can't help but notice it's the cheap Chinese built transmission that's giving them problems. We were talking this morning at my office about how it's kinda sad that if you want a "built in the USA" car you need to buy a "foreign" car like a KIA, or a BMW. Where as a chunk of the "American" Ford's are made in Mexico or Canada with (apparently)Chinese parts.

Crazy world we live in!

I didn't want to purchase another "American" car due to what the UAW did to the pension plan that I happened to choose at my soon to be former employer. Basically, I went from contributions of $300 per month to $650 per month due to the guaranteed benefit option of existing retirees. In other words, our wise investors were heavily tied to Chrysler and GM, so as a result, everyone who opted for the guaranteed benefit option got shafted. Here's the kicker, as long as I am employee here, I am not allowed to change my retirement plan.

Part II as to why I didn't like my 2006 Mustang is that Ford cut corners to keep the car at it's price point. The rear lower control arms had to be replaced, the front A arms had to be replaced due to the lower ball joints going bad, and the front strut mounts needed to be replaced. All this had to be performed on a car that had less than 40,000 miles on the odometer.

A few months back, I test drove a used 2011 Mustang GT and said to my wife that there was no way I would even consider a new one. Sure it is faster than the 2006, but it still had the same inherent problems common to the S197 platform. The mustang guys were telling me how it is the poor man's M3 whereas I'll say that Ford sent a ringer to a pristine test track. Put a solid rear axle vehicle on a typical Louisiana roadway with lots of uneven surfaces and let me know how well that works out for you. What you end up with is a car that is way too powerful for the roads that you are driving it on. Don't even get me started on those 10 to 15 MPH turns that caused my rear end to bump steer right into the curb. Sure I got used to driving the car to where that didn't happen, but it was sad that my 1997 Civic could take the same turn at nearly 40 MPH with no ill effects whereas a "performance" vehicle could not.

I still stick by my decision to purchase the 2012 WRX Premium.

Quote Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
    ...STUFF... I still stick by my decision to purchase the 2012 WRX Premium.
    Oh hey, I just ordered one of those!

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
    I didn't want to purchase another "American" car due to what the UAW did to the pension plan that I happened to choose at my soon to be former employer. Basically, I went from contributions of $300 per month to $650 per month due to the guaranteed benefit option of existing retirees. In other words, our wise investors were heavily tied to Chrysler and GM, so as a result, everyone who opted for the guaranteed benefit option got shafted. Here's the kicker, as long as I am employee here, I am not allowed to change my retirement plan.

Part II as to why I didn't like my 2006 Mustang is that Ford cut corners to keep the car at it's price point. The rear lower control arms had to be replaced, the front A arms had to be replaced due to the lower ball joints going bad, and the front strut mounts needed to be replaced. All this had to be performed on a car that had less than 40,000 miles on the odometer.

A few months back, I test drove a used 2011 Mustang GT and said to my wife that there was no way I would even consider a new one. Sure it is faster than the 2006, but it still had the same inherent problems common to the S197 platform. The mustang guys were telling me how it is the poor man's M3 whereas I'll say that Ford sent a ringer to a pristine test track. Put a solid rear axle vehicle on a typical Louisiana roadway with lots of uneven surfaces and let me know how well that works out for you. What you end up with is a car that is way too powerful for the roads that you are driving it on. Don't even get me started on those 10 to 15 MPH turns that caused my rear end to bump steer right into the curb. Sure I got used to driving the car to where that didn't happen, but it was sad that my 1997 Civic could take the same turn at nearly 40 MPH with no ill effects whereas a "performance" vehicle could not.

I still stick by my decision to purchase the 2012 WRX Premium.
    You're complaining about the short comings of a car that hasn't had a design change since 1965. Live rear axle FTL.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    You're complaining about the short comings of a car that hasn't had a design change since 1965. Live rear axle FTL.
    The 2003/2004 cobra had IRS but it was notorious for breaking. Of course, my mistake was believing the various car magazines that claimed Ford had tamed the Amish buggy axle. On a pristine tarmac track, perhaps. I'll admit that I bought into the hype and put a ton of money into the suspension thinking I could address the issues. In the end, it was like putting lipstick on that proverbial pig because now you have a pig with lipstick!

Banned
    "So, I took the plunge and traded in my 2010 WRX for a new 2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium " stopped reading after this. JK nice buy, glad you enjoy it

JAG
    I am a former 2011 STI SE owner and as much as I loved it, I traded her in for a Ford! Something I never thought I would say. I actualy drove the GT before buying my STI and was good with the decision until Ford came out with the Boss 302! After 20,000 miles in the Subi I got within 3 grand of what I paid for it and drove home a new Boss. I really wish I could afford to keep both but not that rich. I plan on trying to pick up a used WRK for winter late this year and make it my DD.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0074 (1024x681) (800x532).jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	103401Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	103402

JAG
    my mistake was believing the various car magazines that claimed Ford had tamed the Amish buggy axle. On a pristine tarmac track, perhaps. I'll admit that I bought into the hype and put a ton of money into the suspension thinking I could address the issues. In the end, it was like putting lipstick on that proverbial pig because now you have a pig with lipstick!
    I thought the same thing until I drove it. The handling on this car blows away my STI. I have tracked both and have used both as a daily driver and IMO the Ford is better. Now having said that in terms of everyday use living in the NE i do miss the STI in winter. This last one was mild but the versatility of the Subaru can not be matched.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I didn't realize this many people are on the fence between a RWD muscle car and an AWD tuner. In my mind they are so different I don't think when narrowing down choices that it would be between these 2.

I may be in my last Subaru. My 07 WRX was great. My 11 STI is everything I wanted for performance, but is honestly the cheapest build quality of anything I have ever owned. My 2002 Ford Focus was assembled much much better. New rattles appear every day in the STI, the stereo and dash panels have scratches even though I am pretty sure nothing ever touched them, and my leather seats look like they are showing wear. If I look at my paint funny - it chips.

Good luck on the stang - no matter what, new cars are cool and fun. Until I move out of the northeast, I will be stuck in AWD cars for sure.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    I didn't realize this many people are on the fence between a RWD muscle car and an AWD tuner. In my mind they are so different I don't think when narrowing down choices that it would be between these 2.

It (cross shopping with Mustangs etc.) seems to be the case for a lot of us who don't have to deal with actual winters. Where I live, the reason I considered an AWD car wasn't for inclement weather at all, but was essentially because it's 50% RWD. Compared with the Mustang, I saw the WRX's AWD as being a minor handicap (due to complexity, weight, and not giving full power to the rear axle), and it was the price, seating, and cargo capacity that won me over. However, after getting experience with the car and how it can pull through corners under throttle in a very balanced manner, I'm beginning to like it more for what it is.