2010 WRX vs. 2012 Mustang GT - Page 10
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
Results 136 to 150 of 150

This is a discussion on 2010 WRX vs. 2012 Mustang GT within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX...

  1. #136
    and the Funky Bunch Calvinball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Philly Area
    Posts
    5,925
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post


    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #137
    Boba Fett BrianH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Way up high.
    Posts
    17,907
    not sure why this exists.

    no baru competes with a mustangs.

  4. #138
    Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz New Mexico
    Posts
    5,741
    Ya right! It's a rally car Bro!
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

  5. #139
    Registered User Venom351R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    326
    I think a lot of it comes down to where you live. If it never snowed here I would want a Mustang for a daily driver. My current Cobra is way to harsh of a ride to be a daily driver. I started modding it for the drag strip and things got a little out of hand as I read about all kinds of other guys doing the same thing and thinking it would never be me. I live in a state where we get a significant amount of snow and even though the winters have gone from mild to average over the years the advantage of AWD is huge. I'm just so impressed with the STI in the snow that as long as I live in a state like this I dont see myself not owning a subaru of the WRX/STI variety.
    2007 WRX STI- Stock 13.8@102

  6. #140
    Registered User speedsterX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom351R View Post
    I think a lot of it comes down to where you live. If it never snowed here I would want a Mustang for a daily driver. My current Cobra is way to harsh of a ride to be a daily driver. I started modding it for the drag strip and things got a little out of hand as I read about all kinds of other guys doing the same thing and thinking it would never be me. I live in a state where we get a significant amount of snow and even though the winters have gone from mild to average over the years the advantage of AWD is huge. I'm just so impressed with the STI in the snow that as long as I live in a state like this I dont see myself not owning a subaru of the WRX/STI variety.
    Minus the snow, that is the story of my life. I did the same thing with my trans am which is mod it to the point where it is pretty ridiculous to drive it in almost any traffic. Only a large highway is good for just cruising. Anyway, the wrx is really fun as a dd and since it rains a lot in MS it is perfect for the conditions.

  7. #141
    zax
    zax is offline
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    12,678
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I just recently drove a 5.0 Mustang for the first time. I was very impressed with the acceleration. The car is easily as fast or faster than my modified wagon in a straight line. Now for the cornering: the car corners hard, but feels very vague. The car was a rental, so I'm not sure if the tires are stock, but there is an awful lot of body roll. Furthermore, the car FEELS very heavy despite the curb weight of only 3600 pounds. This may be in part a mental construct due to the fact that it is a large car compared to my Bugeye and my wife's Mazdaspeed3. To be fair, the car was a rental and an automatic, and furthermore I was unable to drive the car at 100%. Here are the positives and negatives of my experience:

    Positives:
    1.) The engine pulls strong and is very smooth. Of course, a V8 is generally much smoother than a 4cyl, but the power delivery feels especially linear
    2.) The interior is improved CONSIDERABLY over my dad's 2010 Mustang GT, but still feels cheap compared to the Focus.
    3.) According to the guy who rented the car, it was getting 26 MPG on the highway. I'd be VERY happy if I got that economy in my WRX.
    4.) The car looks GREAT and the turn signals are fun

    Negatives:
    1.) The huge C-pillar means a huge blind spot. The visibility out of the cabin is miserable. I felt like I was driving a tank.
    2.) Body roll, then more body roll. The handling felt "vague." The steering isn't as sharp as I'd like... maybe it's electric steering? The car is very large and feels it.
    3.) The 6-speed automatic is not nearly as refined as German counterparts. This is a moot point to me, since I would own the manual version anyhow.
    4.) The handling on really bumpy roads is a little unnerving. I haven't driven many live-axle cars, but maybe that is due to the design. The car feels a bit like my wagon with 22mm sways, except only in the rear... perhaps just a bit foreign to me.
    5.) The car doesn't feel like it has 420hp. I'm not sure if Hertz tuned the car down, if the power is delivered more linearly and therefore doesn't have the kick I'm accustomed to in a turbo car, or if it was due to the fact it was filled with 87 octane, but it didn't feel as fast as I'd expected.

    Overall a HUGE step in the right direction for the big oval. Compared to older mustangs (even the Cobras), the handling is MUCH better, but still not close to the handling delivered by a small car IMO. I wish Ford had designed the interior like the Focus, which is fantastic IMO. Furthermore, I wish Ford had provided the driver with a little more feedback. The "numbness" reminds me of most newer cars, including the 2008+ STi. If the 5.0 Mustang has electric steering, it sure feels it...

    Just my opinions. It's a great car, and indeed a true performer, but I would not personally own one. I would also not trade my Bugeye for one, even if I didn't require the AWD.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  8. #142
    zax
    zax is offline
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    12,678
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom351R View Post
    I think a lot of it comes down to where you live.
    I disagree. I believe it has to do entirely with personal preference. I wouldn't own a 5.0 Mustang even if it was sunny and 80 degrees every day of the year. Then again, if it were sunny and 80 degrees every day of the year, I probably wouldn't even own a car....
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  9. #143
    Registered User Venom351R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    326
    Thats why I said a lot of it, not all of it. Not sure where you do live but anyone that lives in an area where you get significant snowfall usually has to take into consideration what they do drive. Its not that everyone up here has a 4X4 or AWD and those that dont make due with what they have. But I can guarantee that anyone that had FWD or RWD and went to a 4x4 or AWD would never go back again.

    Its hard to compare my STI to my Cobra b/c they are so far apart on the scale. The Cobra is a 94 and has everything modded on it minus the crank pistons and rods while the STI is an 07 and stock. It is interesting to see the difference between the two though. The Mustang is lighter overall from the STI but it feels like a more heavy car, the doors feel big solid and heavy while the STI doors feel light and hollow but still strong. The Cobra has no body roll but thats due to the suspension and chassis stiffening but it does not corner for crap. Head to head straight line speed the Cobra wins hands down, despite the set backs I had with it this year which I will figure out next summer its a solid combo that will be running 11's and should make 430 HP+ at the wheels. For every day use and practicality and fun factor of driving the STI wins hands down.
    2007 WRX STI- Stock 13.8@102

  10. #144
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,905
    I Support ClubWRX

    2010 WRX vs. 2012 Mustang GT

    Nice write up, Zach. I'm sure it has the spec'd horsepower, but you're used to forced induction, and linear powerbands just feel dull after some time with that, regardless of output.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  11. #145
    Registered User Herknav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    336
    Since 2001 I've gone from a '99 Cobra (305 HP, NA) to
    2002 WRX Sedan... eventually Cobb Stage 2, but not until I bought my
    2005 Mustang GT Vert... eventually modded with a Saleen blower plus suspension, etc, then I moved to Germany and added a
    2008 BMW 335xi Sedan which was a fun machine; awesome on the Autobahn and fun on the secondary roads... before I left, I switched to a
    2010 BMW M3 Sedan which is a FANTASTIC machine. And no matter how many machines you say are better, this one is perfect
    Then I returned from my 2011 deployment and I found a
    2012 Mustang Boss 302... probably the best Mustang ever produced. First Mustang that felt as good as my WRX on the road.

    So, since 2001, I have had high HP NA V8, high HP turbo'ed boxer 4, high HP supercharged V8, high HP twin turbo'd inline 6, high HP NA V8, and another high HP NA V8.

    I loved my WRX (sold to my Dad, who sold it to my brother) and I still think it is the balls when you need need need AWD (I bought mine when I found out I was moving to Alaska). The 2005 Stang was a total complete monster when it was "finished"... but my wife wanted garage space.... the 335XI is a great car, but it suffered from my desire to own an M3. The Boss... the Boss happened 1 week after I got home from my last deployment and we just stopped in the Ford dealership... on December 30th...

    I've sold the Vert

    Now I roll with my M3 and my Boss. I have all season tires on them and things work just fine. I've found that RWD with good tires just requires a little bit of skill, but no big deal. So the whole "weather" argument just feels like lazy driving to me.
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

  12. #146
    Registered User Monk_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Since 2001 I've gone from a '99 Cobra (305 HP, NA) to
    2002 WRX Sedan... eventually Cobb Stage 2, but not until I bought my
    2005 Mustang GT Vert... eventually modded with a Saleen blower plus suspension, etc, then I moved to Germany and added a
    2008 BMW 335xi Sedan which was a fun machine; awesome on the Autobahn and fun on the secondary roads... before I left, I switched to a
    2010 BMW M3 Sedan which is a FANTASTIC machine. And no matter how many machines you say are better, this one is perfect
    Then I returned from my 2011 deployment and I found a
    2012 Mustang Boss 302... probably the best Mustang ever produced. First Mustang that felt as good as my WRX on the road.

    So, since 2001, I have had high HP NA V8, high HP turbo'ed boxer 4, high HP supercharged V8, high HP twin turbo'd inline 6, high HP NA V8, and another high HP NA V8.

    I loved my WRX (sold to my Dad, who sold it to my brother) and I still think it is the balls when you need need need AWD (I bought mine when I found out I was moving to Alaska). The 2005 Stang was a total complete monster when it was "finished"... but my wife wanted garage space.... the 335XI is a great car, but it suffered from my desire to own an M3. The Boss... the Boss happened 1 week after I got home from my last deployment and we just stopped in the Ford dealership... on December 30th...

    I've sold the Vert

    Now I roll with my M3 and my Boss. I have all season tires on them and things work just fine. I've found that RWD with good tires just requires a little bit of skill, but no big deal. So the whole "weather" argument just feels like lazy driving to me.
    While that might very well be true in Arkansas, every winter I have numerous times where I need to drive through at least 8-10'' unplowed snow just to get on the road, not to mention very snowpacked roads with snow accummulating at rates often exceeding 2-3" an hour, I've had times where I had to drive for a significant period of time through unplowed snow higher than the bumper line, as well as numerous times where I had to dig out the sides of the car just to be able to open my doors. Remember the snowpocalypse earlier this year when the east coast got 2 feet of snow and everything shut down? We got 6 feet over the course of that week.

    While driving ability definitely plays a huge part in dealing with inclement weather... there definitely are limits. I've seen wayyy too many RWD (or even FWD) cars stuck immobile in a parking lot or simply unable to get up the hill into my neighborhood.

  13. #147
    Registered User Herknav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    While that might very well be true in Arkansas, every winter I have numerous times where I need to drive through at least 8-10'' unplowed snow just to get on the road, not to mention very snowpacked roads with snow accummulating at rates often exceeding 2-3" an hour, I've had times where I had to drive for a significant period of time through unplowed snow higher than the bumper line, as well as numerous times where I had to dig out the sides of the car just to be able to open my doors. Remember the snowpocalypse earlier this year when the east coast got 2 feet of snow and everything shut down? We got 6 feet over the course of that week.

    While driving ability definitely plays a huge part in dealing with inclement weather... there definitely are limits. I've seen wayyy too many RWD (or even FWD) cars stuck immobile in a parking lot or simply unable to get up the hill into my neighborhood.
    I grew up in Minnesota. My mom never had anything except some sort of two or four door RWD American car, (we are talking 70's-80's here). She never got stuck. She was taught how to drive and she had the appropriate tires on her car for the season.

    The first snowfall I saw in Anchorage (2001) I was on my way in to work. I took it easy, but the giant 4wd Toyota truck didn't. And he couldn't stop at the stop light and couldn't stay on the road. Packed snow doesn't care if you are RWD, AWD, or FWD; it's just like ice. I had a buddy who drove his Mustang GT all year round; just put studded snow tires on for the winter. He never had a problem.

    Winter 2010 in Germany was epic for the area with several large snow falls. My job sometimes required me to go in to work around 0400. I had a choice between a ~400 hp RWD car with traction control, and a ~440 hp RWD car without traction control... I chose the latter... it had the right tires. One time I could barely see more than 10 feet in front of me. They ended up shutting everything down (damned shame I was already at work).

    I guess my point is that unless you regularly face conditions that require you two bust through snow berms and blaze trails, putting too much emphasis into your power train and not enough into driver skill is a flawed argument. If you do live in a place like that, a WRX still isn't your best choice. It's too low to the ground and doesn't weight enough. Also, I feel sorry for you, because winter can get really old.
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

  14. #148
    Registered User Monk_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    I guess my point is that unless you regularly face conditions that require you two bust through snow berms and blaze trails, putting too much emphasis into your power train and not enough into driver skill is a flawed argument. If you do live in a place like that, a WRX still isn't your best choice. It's too low to the ground and doesn't weight enough.
    Absolutely.

    So many people around here severely undervalue tires... I run Blizzaks in the winter and still absolutely believe the best thing for winter driving is driver skill. AWD doesn't help you stop any faster. I would definitely pick a FWD car with snow tires over a AWD car on summers (or even "all seasons") for snow driving.

    I do disagree though on your conclusion that the WRX isn't one of the best picks though. With a quality set of snow tires, it feels pretty much perfect for just about everything. I've driven it on numerous occasions in snow above the body line and never had trouble (though I'm not going up unplowed 4wd roads or anything). Truth be told, I'd rather have the lower car that is less likely to roll should I happen to slide off the road. I've had too many friends in 4runners and the like hit a small bump sideways and flip their vehicle.
    As far as weight goes... I've never had an issue with it being too light. I get 50-60+ days a year skiing, so I guess I see more of the bad weather than most around here, and I'd take my WRX in a nasty blizzard over anything else I've ever driven (including trucks, suvs, crossovers, whathaveyou).

    Also, I feel sorry for you, because winter can get really old.
    No way. Snow is one of my favorite things in the world... I so wish winter was longer than the 4 months or so we get of it around here in Colorado.

  15. #149
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    392
    Absolutely the best car I've driven in the snow. I don't have to shovel the driveway anymore.. My Mustang must have been flawed. It was horrendous in the snow even with "M&S" tires...My FWD Accord feels lousy as well...

  16. #150
    Registered User gunz4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Negatives:
    1.) The huge C-pillar means a huge blind spot. The visibility out of the cabin is miserable. I felt like I was driving a tank.
    2.) Body roll, then more body roll. The handling felt "vague." The steering isn't as sharp as I'd like... maybe it's electric steering? The car is very large and feels it.
    4.) The handling on really bumpy roads is a little unnerving. I haven't driven many live-axle cars, but maybe that is due to the design. The car feels a bit like my wagon with 22mm sways, except only in the rear... perhaps just a bit foreign to me.

    Just my opinions. It's a great car, and indeed a true performer, but I would not personally own one. I would also not trade my Bugeye for one, even if I didn't require the AWD.
    You seem to have hit the nail on the head for the complaints I had with my 2006 Mustang GT. I had thousands in the suspension and was running BFG KDW2s. Combine Louisiana's rain with their third world country, pothole infested roads, and that was a recipe for disaster. If I hit a bump in a curve my rear end would kick out something fierce and it was downright scary on a wet road.

    In fact, every time I consider getting a sports car like a 370z or a vette, it rains and I remember how much I like my 2012 WRX in the rain. Even my wife's 2011 V6 genesis coupe (auto-tragic) has traction problems on DRY pavement. You should see it try to take off from a stop on wet pavement. Any sports car I buy will have a manual transmission, so I could probably control the dead stop takeoff a little better by slipping the clutch.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •