04 auto WRX 1/4 mile problem - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on 04 auto WRX 1/4 mile problem within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Rgw2kx because i lost the slip and i forgot what the mph was. i wana say low-mid ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rgw2kx View Post
    because i lost the slip and i forgot what the mph was. i wana say low-mid 90's
    If it was mid-90's, your probably OK. If it was low-90's, you were down on power. You could have just been heat soaked, resulting in a long, boggy launch. Next time you go to the dragstrip, let the car cool down and hour or so before you make your pass. Ice the intercooler, and don't leave the engine running while you are in the staging lanes. All of this will make a big difference.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    If it was mid-90's, your probably OK. If it was low-90's, you were down on power. You could have just been heat soaked, resulting in a long, boggy launch. Next time you go to the dragstrip, let the car cool down and hour or so before you make your pass. Ice the intercooler, and don't leave the engine running while you are in the staging lanes. All of this will make a big difference.
    Good info, wish I had it ten hours ago. Rgw2kx I basically have the same setup as you just no tranny cooler which I do plan on getting soon.

I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee

Blobeye Syndicate Member #72

Lol, my stock rs was faster by .5 and trapped 89 mph or so. Obviously you have a ridiculously horrible 60' time. I have a feeling it's more driver error then anything. Only thing I'm not sure on is what a decently driven auto can do 60' wise.

holy crap what a bad 60 ft. there is almost a whole second that can be made up with a 2.0 60ft. maybe the trans has seen better days?
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

I believe you guys are both right, it was my first time ever at the drag strip and after my seventh run I could tell my transmission did not want to do it anymore.
    I'm not giving up, so time to make her better.
    I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee

Blobeye Syndicate Member #72

So all this worry and you've only been to the strip once? lol. From how you were writing it seemed like you've been there tons of times and you can't figure out what's wrong with the car and you ran faster before.

Here's the timeslip from my auto, but it's an 09 with a 2.5L engine.

-09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

My old Grand Marquis ran 9.9 @ 73 in the 1/8th so I hope the OP can get it down to at least that. It's not like it was a roaring sports car but I've run all my vehicles just to see what they can do

Come to think of it, at the time I did give my friend's stock 02 WRX m/t fits from a roll. 30-90 he wasn't going anywhere.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    Lol, my stock rs was faster by .5 and trapped 89 mph or so. Obviously you have a ridiculously horrible 60' time. I have a feeling it's more driver error then anything. Only thing I'm not sure on is what a decently driven auto can do 60' wise.
    dont see how driver error comes into play with an auto.
    press brake, floor gas, let off brake, profit

I Support ClubWRX
    you're missing something in there...

press brake, floor gas... wait for a few seconds to build boost... then let off brake.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

dont see how driver error comes into play with an auto.
    press brake, floor gas, let off brake, profit
    If it were that easy you'd be pulling 1.9 60' times like the above auto trans and not 2.7 60' times. That's almost a full second in just 60'. That is huge if you didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    If it were that easy you'd be pulling 1.9 60' times like the above auto trans and not 2.7 60' times. That's almost a full second in just 60'. That is huge if you didn't know.
    He was probably heat soaked. I learned my lessons with my old 02 4eat wrx. Engine won't rev passed 2500, and there's just a big bog -especially with the 2.0L engine. But yeah, 0.8 seconds slower in 60' costed him about 1.6 seconds in the 1/4: 15.9 - 1.6 = 14.3.

I brake launched my 04 4EAT (automatic) wrx at 2500rpm with a reaction time of 0.06 seconds and i am still getting constant 16.8s times. WTF???
    i dont know what can be going wrong.
    i have an HKS uppipe and performance muffler installed with a tranny cooler, i dont see why my quarter mile times are so slow. any help would be GREATLY appreiated.
    from what i hear, the stock auto wrx's should be running mid 15's to high 14s times.
    Check if the fuel system is working properly.. if there is too much or too little fuel is mixed, combustion doesn't work properly.

thats what im thinking because im gettin high egt codes, so im thinkin im running lean

Find someone with a datalogger! The car will tell you everything that's wrong in like 30 seconds. Instead of playing "what if" and potentially losing the engine, get it FIXED. Daily driving it is risky right now; racing at the track is just a miracle it didn't self-destruct.

Running lean isn't just an inconvenience. On a turbo car it's certain to destroy things. You just need a cable and the free Learning View software. It does work on an 02, as demonstrated here. That one screencap will show almost everything you need to know about the car.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123