2011 wrx vs 2011 evo - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 wrx vs 2011 evo within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by lokey "Of course, the big question is whether the 2011 STI has separated itself once again from ...

Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    "Of course, the big question is whether the 2011 STI has separated itself once again from its WRX little brother, which also is updated for next year. The plain 2011 WRX makes its progress in the styling department, inheriting the STI’s wide-body sheetmetal and revised grille shape, and the two now look nearly identical to each other. Considering that and the fact that the WRX will likely continue to be the quicker car to 60 mph—in our testing, the 2009–10 WRX hit the mark in 4.7 seconds compared with the STI’s 5.0—we think it’s tough to justify the STI’s $8500 premium. For the extra money, you get SI-Drive, some STI-only structural reinforcements, and a more advanced AWD system with an electronically adjustable center differential, but that stuff really only pays dividends on a rally stage or racetrack."
    Source: Subaru WRX STI Review: 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Drive
    There are always cases where car A is better than car B in certain situations. However, just like it says in the article you quoted an STI would likely beat a WRX on a rally stage or racetrack.

Maybe I was being a bit too broad with my comparison, but most people don't buy WRX's, STI's, or EVO's to go racing in a strait line.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    Maybe I was being a bit too broad with my comparison, but most people don't buy WRX's, STI's, or EVO's to go racing in a strait line.
    You'd be surprised by the number that do.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

I Support ClubWRX
    You'd be surprised by the number that do.
    I wouldn't. Too many years of "how come dat Altima V6 could pull onme frumaroll?!?1!"
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I wouldn't. Too many years of "how come dat Altima V6 could pull onme frumaroll?!?1!"
    Oh, I bet you've heard some good ones. I love reading the veterans' comments in the "I WANT 400HP!!" threads.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Oh, I bet you've heard some good ones. I love reading the veterans' comments in the "I WANT 400HP!!" threads.
    I have over 400 hp...in my 1968 Mercury Cougar
    - 2013 BRZ Limited, WRB, manual
    - 2002 WRX WRB Sport Wagon (Stage 1) SOLD
    - 1968 Mercury Cougar w/ custom 331ci stroker & 5-spd
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4
    ~Best 1/4 mi Trap Speed: 109mph

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002SubieWRX View Post
    I have over 400 hp...in my 1968 Mercury Cougar
    OT, but cool car! I always liked the old Cougar's.
    400hp as measured in the generous old days, or has it been recently dynoed?
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

If you want to compare the skill of the driver, stock car style racing is the way to go. Comparing Apples to Oranges is pointless, IMO. Two equally skilled drivers in two cars that have different amounts of power is comparing the cars, not the drivers. Cars can be modified. Modifying drivers is a lot more work.

Besides, has anyone watched the Fast And The Furious (first one) all these years later? I thought it was pretty funny. All these kids getting themselves into deep crap over a straight line race (go to the track; you won't get arrested). And no real racer would load their car up with tons of stereo equipment, etc. that just load/slow the car down.

All these mods to the WRX to make it still vastly inferior to a real AWD sports car (e.g. The GT-R) seems a little futile, IMO. I just want my car to move when I hit the gas, not sit there like a KIA. The WRX manages that nicely...well unless you baby the launch (i.e. under 3k to save your clutch and transmission) in which case you might as well buy a V6 Mustang for less as it will clean the floor of a WRX and doesn't need to be babied. I know I would have gotten a Mustang if I didn't live in Snow Central (as of late anyway; Ohio had its snowiest winter on record this year and close enough the previous 3 years).

The best thing Subaru could do to improve the WRX is to get an engine/turbo combination that isn't pure MUSH below 3500 RPM (i.e. give it more low-end torque for every day driving). Short of a 3500+ launch (something people seem to not want to recommend for either the clutch or the transmission or both), the car is almost dead until you hit around 3800 RPM (the '11 is a little less dead than the '04, but it's still lag city; just look at the 5-60 times to see I'm telling the truth).

Meanwhile, even the lowly base model Neons are passing you and laughing until you hit that power band. I ignored that advice and launched often at ~4k on the '04 WRX (i.e. instant power) and never had any clutch or transmission problems, but based on all my reading, I'm thinking I might have been lucky. I also kept the car in the power band most of the time so I'd never go mush. I also only got 18-21mpg ever. Watching what I'm doing on this car gets me 24-26mpg, but then I find myself in mushville all too often when I need to step on the gas quickly (i.e. even fast shifting takes time, which is why so many sports cars are going automated dual clutch).

The Cobb AP's new launch control makes it simple to launch at 4k every time (not 'too' hard on the vehicle compared to 5k or 6k yet high enough to get it into the power band almost immediately). But given the horror stories about the '09 MY clutch issues, I wonder how well the newer 'organic' clutches hold up over older models. I traded my '04 at 80k and it was still going strong with no sign of slipping or trouble getting into any gear. I'm now paranoid about my '11 and frankly that's affecting my enjoyment of it.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

OT, but cool car! I always liked the old Cougar's.
    400hp as measured in the generous old days, or has it been recently dynoed?
    Yeah it is a little off topic, sorry.

Hasn't been dynoed since I installed the new 331ci aluminum-head motor several years ago. That's on my to-do list for that car, but near the bottom. With all the parts and custom work done to the heads and manifold I estimate it puts out about 425-450 bhp and 350-375 whp.

Check out the video in my signature of a 13.00 run on street tires with my buddy riding shotgun with the camera. This was before a head/manifold polish and port match, new Holley double pumper, more agressive cam, switching from hydraulic to solid lifters and rolling BFG Drag Radials. Broke the Tremec T-5z transmission on the second run of the day after all that work and haven't had it on the street since then which was the summer of 2008.
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4

I Support ClubWRX
    I was actually talking about myself going OT, not you. Sounds like a fun beast!
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I was actually talking about myself going OT, not you. Sounds like a fun beast!
    Yeah it's fun. There are so many things that can go wrong on a car that old and I've had to work through many of them. When it's running good, yeah it's a blast to drive. With manual steering and brakes it is a beast to drive. Old school muscle, there's just nothing like it

Quote Originally Posted by devyn339 View Post
    just the plain evo i kno hes got exhaust intercooler and i also know he has an ap and school zone racing
    If he's got a FMIC then he's no doubt got IC piping. And if he did that then the exhaust is likely a turbo-back. The AP is holding him back a lot but likely that Evo is easily into the 320whp range, no question. Oh wait, you guys are on 93? Bump that number up...Evo's here in CA on 91 are making that power.

For an 11 WRX to match it's power you'd need an upgraded turbo, or E85, etc.. The only advantage the WRX has on an Evo X is it's weight.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Any 08-11 Evo will beat an equally modded WRX in a straight line. You're comparing two differently tiered cars.

Who beats who on the track is a completely different story however. Skill comes into play. You see all these kids on the track with fully modded cars, turbo back, bigger turbo, injectors, etc. but they still get taken over by people in stock cars who know how to take the turns.

I'm coming from a current 2010 Evo X MR with full Turboback, Short Ram Intake, FMIC + UICP, 3port w/ tune and I'm currently making 335whp/360wtq at the wheels on CA91pisstane.

About to sell my car to pick up a 2012 WRX however, I've grown bored of the dual-clutch and miss having a third pedal. Comparing to all my friends with WRX's, you're going to need e85/new turbo.

Agree with the above. But I'm going to likely go the opposite direction....my next car is prob going to be an X MR (or SE) with similar mods to yours. My wife gets super nervous in traffic driving a stick so the SST would let her enjoy whatever car I have more. And if she can enjoy it then I can pour more money into it haha.

Where in CA are you? ;-)
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

"Of course, the big question is whether the 2011 STI has separated itself once again from its WRX little brother, which also is updated for next year. The plain 2011 WRX makes its progress in the styling department, inheriting the STI’s wide-body sheetmetal and revised grille shape, and the two now look nearly identical to each other. Considering that and the fact that the WRX will likely continue to be the quicker car to 60 mph—in our testing, the 2009–10 WRX hit the mark in 4.7 seconds compared with the STI’s 5.0—we think it’s tough to justify the STI’s $8500
    premium. For the extra money, you get SI-Drive, some STI-only structural reinforcements, and a more advanced AWD system with an electronically adjustable center differential, but that stuff really only pays dividends on a rally stage or racetrack."
    Source: Subaru WRX STI Review: 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Drive
    I think you might wanna check this out, there are more differences from a WRX to an STI than most are aware. I have owned a GD WRX and a GD STI, a GR WRX and a GR 2011 STI. The differences in feel and general performance are worth any extra amount, plus if you paid 8 grand more....they saw you coming!! Anyway here is a cool video going over some STI only enhancements. ‪2011 Subaru WRX STI Launch‬‏ - YouTube

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.