The Official I "Raced" A Camaro SS In My Lightly Modded WRX & Beat It!! Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on The Official I "Raced" A Camaro SS In My Lightly Modded WRX & Beat It!! Thread within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; There is a long 2 lane onramp on my commute where I usually gun it for fun. It is safe ...

The Official I "Raced" A Camaro SS In My Lightly Modded WRX & Beat It!! Thread

There is a long 2 lane onramp on my commute where I usually gun it for fun. It is safe and usually uneventful. A couple of days ago I had a Camaro SS behind me, and he decides to do the same at the same time. He even switched to the rightlane as if to pass me. Well, he never did. I held him off till we both backed down for safety reasons once on the interstate. I only saw him gaining a bit of ground towards the end at speeds which I would not post here. This is to be expected with that 400+ hp V8 top-end.

Nevertheless, I was thoroughly impressed at how my 300 hp-ish WRX performed against the Camaro SS. Either the Camaro SS is too heavy, or the HP gap between us is not as big as it is on paper.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

those things are pretty quick. maybe v6?

nope, unmistakeable ss badge on front grille, and V8 sound

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I believe it :] I've even messed around with some myself... and I'm not even stage one.
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob | KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | 24mm Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear | Kartboy Front & Rear Endlinks | Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview

camaro SS stock are not very fast. do not let them fool you. Especially if it was automatic

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    They are very different cars, with very different powerbands, but the performance numbers aren't too far from WRX's - especially if you have started adding HP mods.

Now when the Z-28s hit the streets ... well, maybe the next STI's can give 'em a run.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

I ran up against a new SS in my 11. There wasn't even a chance, the clamero had way more power mid range. He pulled a few car lengths on me pretty easily. I have run both the new 5.0 and the SS and both cars are significantly faster then the WRXs .

Quote Originally Posted by Purp View Post
    I ran up against a new SS in my 11. There wasn't even a chance, the clamero had way more power mid range. He pulled a few car lengths on me pretty easily. I have run both the new 5.0 and the SS and both cars are significantly faster then the WRXs .
    Stock?

on a roll, a camaro should have an advantage pulling trap speeds of 110mph in the end. but the wrx could hold its own.

how do you like the stage 1? i'm about to add that to my 11 rex.

Quote Originally Posted by gimli View Post
    Stock?
    Yes stock. Both 2nd through 4rth gear runs, and some high way runs. There is no chance. The clamero had a lot more power. It was a steady pulling away in any gear at any speed. Its just plain faster, which it should be. Id be interested to see what they would do against my M3. I raced the 5.0 light to light, launching around 5K and was beating up on him pretty bad untill he gains traction in 3rd gear then he reels me in like im standing still. Still was pissing him off though that I could gain 4 cars instantly on him. That car sounds friggin mean though.
    2011 WRX, 2003 BMW M3, 1991 BMW M5 (sold), 1995 BMW M3 (totaled), 1987 Buick GN (sold), 1987 Buick T-Type (sold), 1988 Supercharged LX 306 TFH, Tremmec TKO (sold), Pontiac GTP 400hp (sold), RX7 Turbo II (sold), 1991 Tallon Tsi AWD (sold),1992 Tallon Tsi AWD (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by legacy_gt View Post
    on a roll, a camaro should have an advantage pulling trap speeds of 110mph in the end. but the wrx could hold its own.
    I definitely held my own! But in the end, at high speeds I dare not post here, The Camaro started gaining ground, going around 5 mph faster more/less. In any case, to me, that is off little practical use in RL driving.

Quote Originally Posted by legacy_gt View Post

how do you like the stage 1? i'm about to add that to my 11 rex.
    I love stage 1. I have that (COBB AP) plus the SPT CBE. There is a noticeable power gain and engine is smoother across the power band. Many people here claim it is a better tune than the OEM one, not just for power. I lose about 1 mpg on the city, but next to nothing on the highway (this is tested myself, not theoretical).

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm thinking that he didn't really get into it. I'm making 300'ish at the wheels, but would expect a modern, wot SS to decimate me from a roll. His "area under the curve" >> my "area under the curve".
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I'm thinking that he didn't really get into it. I'm making 300'ish at the wheels, but would expect a modern, wot SS to decimate me from a roll. His "area under the curve" >> my "area under the curve".
    I would say it was because you're modded, have a lot less weight, and you probably already had more momentum than he did. Plus he was stock, but off the line he probably would own you.

off the line.... wrx > camaro

Quote Originally Posted by patrick4588 View Post
    off the line.... wrx > camaro
    Being fast off the line doesn't mean much when that's all you got. Oh and we can drive in snow, honestly Ill take the trade off of performance for a car i can go moderately fast in and drive off road and in snow.
    2011 WRX, 2003 BMW M3, 1991 BMW M5 (sold), 1995 BMW M3 (totaled), 1987 Buick GN (sold), 1987 Buick T-Type (sold), 1988 Supercharged LX 306 TFH, Tremmec TKO (sold), Pontiac GTP 400hp (sold), RX7 Turbo II (sold), 1991 Tallon Tsi AWD (sold),1992 Tallon Tsi AWD (sold)

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast