The Official I "Raced" A Camaro SS In My Lightly Modded WRX & Beat It!! Thread - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on The Official I "Raced" A Camaro SS In My Lightly Modded WRX & Beat It!! Thread within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; From what I've seen at Norwalk the Camaro's are hard to get a good launch with. They either bog or ...

From what I've seen at Norwalk the Camaro's are hard to get a good launch with. They either bog or spin hard off the line. Most of the one's I've seen were running in the 13.6 range.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by XTi24 View Post
    Cool. It's pretty easy to call a complete stranger a liar over the Internet without video proof.

Tell you what, I'll leave my GoPro hooked up in my car until the day I get another run with a Camaro SS. That'll be a bit harder to argue with.

And just for fun, how exactly is it that they are virtually the same weight? Lol

2012 WRX - 3,208lbs
    2012 Camaro SS - 3,849lbs

So, 641lbs has no affect on acceleration? LAWLZ

One more thing...

Who in here said they are looking to run a 600hp CTS-V? Haha. We drive WRXs, not Z06s...

Sent from my Batphone using Tapatalk
    He was talking about the CTS-V being virtually the same weight as the SS... And the "from a roll not gonna happen" was referring to our cars vs the CTS-V... durr
    Justin ~ 2011 WRX (WRB Sedan) ~ 275whp/299wtq

Build Thread Beloww:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-2011-wrx.html

Quote Originally Posted by CHOPS View Post
    I'll see if I can grab a pic or 2 of my neighbors ride, he's always up for a "run in" if any of you are in the westcentral OHIO area in your cars.

One of those vehicles that unless your a "car guy/gal" you really don't understand what just happened when he walks away from you.

He has a 2012 CTS-V wagon with a few extra goodies and a tune, makin' about 600hp at the crank. The car is just ridiculous

As for the Camaro SS stuff, virtually the same weight + 100 extra hp ..... just don't see the possibilities. From a dig, maybe for a bit, from a roll not gonna happen.
    My friend Ray Buschur has a little white car that he runs at Norwalk in Ohio. He'd love to race that.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Maher_WRX View Post
    He was talking about the CTS-V being virtually the same weight as the SS... And the "from a roll not gonna happen" was referring to our cars vs the CTS-V... durr
    I don't think that's what he was saying. He said "As for the Camaro SS stuff (meaning: everything after this sentence is referring to the conversation in this thread, SS vs. WRX), virtually the same weight + 100 extra hp ..... just don't see the possibilities. From a dig, maybe for a bit, from a roll not gonna happen."

First, the CTS-V he talked about has almost 200hp more than the Camaro SS, not 100hp.
    Second, why would he go from talking about the Camaro vs. CTS-V to the WRX vs. CTS-V in the same sentence without making any distinction between the two references?

He was talking about a 300ish hp WRX vs. a 400ish hp Camaro SS, and referring to the AWD launch advantage of the WRX, and the supposed top end advantage of the Camaro SS. He was saying that he doesn't believe the WRX would do what we're saying it did.

It's pretty simple to figure that out. Again, though, video will be much tougher to disprove.

Stay tuned.
    Last edited by XTi24; 04-17-2013 at 08:17 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    For the record, footage of illegal activity isn't permitted on this forum. Unless you're about to post up a video of you and an SS racing at a track, (really the only footage that would have meaning for me, anyway), please don't post it here.

Frankly, half the "highway Go-Pro wins" I see, where the parties in the car never speak or even seem to look at each other, I'm wondering if the other guy even knows he's in a race.
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 04-17-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    For the record, footage of illegal activity isn't permitted on this forum. Unless you're about to post up a video of you and an SS racing at a track, (really the only footage that would have meaning for me, anyway), please don't post it here.

Frankly, half the "highway Go-Pro wins" I see, where the parties in the car never speak or even seem to look at each other, I'm wondering if the other guy even knows he's in a race.
    Actually, having anticipated such a response, I have already contacted a buddy of mine who has a new Camaro SS. I hadn't thought of this before, because he's always trying to get me to race him in his mom's G37 coupe, and he barely ever mentions the SS. His dad owns a piece of land on which is a small landing strip which used to be for private planes. He plans on demolishing the strip soon, but I'm hoping to record a video of us doing a short run before that happens. Not exactly a track, but it's not a public road either. How would that be?

Also, a new WRX isn't crazy fast or anything, but if (hypothetically) I was next to a new Camaro SS doing 60mph, and went WOT, and only slowly crept forward so that 10 seconds later was only about a car in front of that same Camaro....you would be unsure if the Camaro driver even knew we were "racing"?

I know the videos you're talking about, where a couple of high school kids, in the WRX one of their daddies bought, pull up to a light with their iPhone recording the new 5.0 mustang next to them. The light turns green and the WRX speeds off, kids giggling, and they look back at the Mustang quite obviously not even giving it 20% throttle, completely unaware of what has taken place.

That couldn't be farther from what I had in mind.

I'm not out to prove that my car defies the laws of physics by producing some bogus "evidence" of a highway win where viewers can't tell that the faster car isn't even trying. I'm just trying to figure out why I'm not getting more resistance from the cars I've played around with. Maybe I'm a better driver than I think. Maybe everyone who drives a new Camaro is too busy steering with their wrists to put up a good fight. Maybe the Camaros I've run against we're driven by 10 year olds who stole grandma's car while she was napping. I don't know.

I just know it gets old to constantly be told "maybe it was a V6..." Or "are you sure he was racing?" I know the numbers, I know the specs, my dad was an engineer, I'm not totally void of logical thinking. But I also know what happened when I had a run in with several different cars. Either they had the gas pedal mashed to the floor, or these poor bastards suddenly dropped both mufflers off the backs of their cars, because V8 exhaust is loud when you get on it.

And how many people can honestly say they would only give 80% throttle in a race and be ok with letting the other guy think he won? Probably nobody. People will generally either not bother, in which case it will be obvious that they weren't racing, or they'll give it everything they've got.

Sorry for the novel.

[/rant]

Last edited by XTi24; 04-17-2013 at 11:49 AM.
    2015 STi Launch Edition - Stock and awesome
    2013 DCP FXT - TP Stage 2 - Perrin dp - STi catback - 2011 WRX wheels

I Support ClubWRX
    I can't speak to the absolute legality of racing on someone else's private land...but if it's not on public roads, (and not putting other people at risk), I'm inclined not to care.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I can't speak to the absolute legality of racing on someone else's private land...but if it's not on public roads, (and not putting other people at risk), I'm inclined not to care.
    Good, then we have an accord....I mean, not a Honda, but the other...you know what I mean.

Anyway, I'll see what I can make happen. I'll shoot and edit the video like an episode of Mythbusters. I'm guessing the answer will be PLAUSIBLE. haha

I Support ClubWRX
    If you're choosing to go from a dig, on your improvised track, that will be a bit different from what you've been saying, here. Like CHOPS said, the AWD component of our cars may give a slight advantage at the very beginning of a race. What I'm having trouble with is the idea that you're pulling on a 426hp/420ft-lb (with better torque curve) V8 from a rolling start. Those cars trap at 115'ish mph in the tests I've seen. That's pulling power that's head and shoulders over any mildly modded WRX I've ever heard of.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

If you're choosing to go from a dig, on your improvised track, that will be a bit different from what you've been saying, here. Like CHOPS said, the AWD component of our cars may give a slight advantage at the very beginning of a race. What I'm having trouble with is the idea that you're pulling on a 426hp/420ft-lb (with better torque curve) V8 from a rolling start. Those cars trap at 115'ish mph in the tests I've seen. That's pulling power that's head and shoulders over any mildly modded WRX I've ever heard of.
    I know, I completely understand and agree with, and am having trouble explaining the opposite result of, exactly what you're saying. Imagine my shock, knowing those same numbers before I even bought my WRX...knowing I wouldn't be able to beat cars like that, when I did slowly pull on 3 different Camaro SS automobiles from a roll. I can't explain it.

The strip is pretty long. I think it was originally a private drive, then it was converted to a landing strip, and now is just a useless bunch of asphalt. I'm sure we can get rolling really quickly, then honk it off from about 60, and have enough room to see what we need to see.

I will also want to go from a dig, though. Because several people have said the WRX would lead initially, then get pulled hard as the speed increased. I need to test that as well.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think the Camaro SS is as fast as you believe, Ray.

Stock 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1/4 mile trap speeds 0-60 - DragTimes.com

Most traps seem to be in the 105-110mph range, with mid-to-low 13 splits. The Camaro crests 4100lbs with a driver, which is a lot of weight to move. Pro-tuned stage 2 GR WRXs seem to pull mid-to-high 12s at 110mph, so it isn't inconceivable at all.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Interesting, I was going by what these guys got with a SS 1LE (same drivetrain as the SS):

2013 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE First Test - Motor Trend

...which was a 12.4 at 115mph. Maybe earlier models were slower, or maybe these guys know how to drive the snot out of it. Either way, I wouldn't have expected an OTS Stage 1 (not protuned Stage 2) to keep up with it. If that's the case, then I defer to your superior knowledge.

edit:actually, I don't know what level of mod xti24 has. I took it to be Stage 1 from his profile, but that's under "future mods". Is the car stock?
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 04-17-2013 at 12:58 PM.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Here's the key:
    The Tremec TR6060-MM6 short-throw six-speed manual employs a sportier 3.91:1 final drive rather than the normal 3.45:1
    Much the same reason a 210hp 2004 FXT pulls on an 230hp 2006 WRX despite a higher curb weight!

Also, you're quoting the Boss 302 numbers:
    The 3860-pound 1LE posts admirable track numbers, too. Getting to 60 mph from nil takes 4.3 seconds; a quarter mile arrives in 12.7 seconds at 111.8 mph; braking from 60 mph to a standstill takes 101 feet. Most impressive: It achieved a 1.03 g average on the skidpad (for reference, that's stickier than a 2012 Audi R8 GT) and traced our figure eight in 24.2 seconds at an average 0.83 g. Before you Google "2012 Mustang Boss 302 Motor Trend", here are the 'Stang specs you seek: 3640 pound curb weight; 4.0 seconds from 0 to 60 mph; quarter-mile in 12.4 seconds at 115 mph; 60 mph to 0 in 106 feet; 1.0 g skidpad average; figure eight in 24.6 seconds at 0.81 g average. Feel free to discuss below.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Oops! My bad.
    Still a little surprised that a stock or OTS Stage1 WRX can swing an equivalent trap speed, though.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast