Subaru WRX Forum banner

The Official I "Raced" A Camaro SS In My Lightly Modded WRX & Beat It!! Thread

49K views 88 replies 40 participants last post by  Calvinball 
#1 ·
The Official I "Raced" A Camaro SS In My Lightly Modded WRX & Beat It!! Thread

There is a long 2 lane onramp on my commute where I usually gun it for fun. It is safe and usually uneventful. A couple of days ago I had a Camaro SS behind me, and he decides to do the same at the same time. He even switched to the rightlane as if to pass me. Well, he never did. I held him off till we both backed down for safety reasons once on the interstate. I only saw him gaining a bit of ground towards the end at speeds which I would not post here. This is to be expected with that 400+ hp V8 top-end.

Nevertheless, I was thoroughly impressed at how my 300 hp-ish WRX performed against the Camaro SS. Either the Camaro SS is too heavy, or the HP gap between us is not as big as it is on paper.

#42 ·
I don't think the Camaro SS is as fast as you believe, Ray.

Stock 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1/4 mile trap speeds 0-60 - DragTimes.com

Most traps seem to be in the 105-110mph range, with mid-to-low 13 splits. The Camaro crests 4100lbs with a driver, which is a lot of weight to move. Pro-tuned stage 2 GR WRXs seem to pull mid-to-high 12s at 110mph, so it isn't inconceivable at all.

#43 · (Edited)
Interesting, I was going by what these guys got with a SS 1LE (same drivetrain as the SS):

2013 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE First Test - Motor Trend

...which was a 12.4 at 115mph. Maybe earlier models were slower, or maybe these guys know how to drive the snot out of it. Either way, I wouldn't have expected an OTS Stage 1 (not protuned Stage 2) to keep up with it. If that's the case, then I defer to your superior knowledge. ;)

edit:actually, I don't know what level of mod xti24 has. I took it to be Stage 1 from his profile, but that's under "future mods". Is the car stock?

#44 ·
Here's the key:
The Tremec TR6060-MM6 short-throw six-speed manual employs a sportier 3.91:1 final drive rather than the normal 3.45:1
Much the same reason a 210hp 2004 FXT pulls on an 230hp 2006 WRX despite a higher curb weight!

Also, you're quoting the Boss 302 numbers:
The 3860-pound 1LE posts admirable track numbers, too. Getting to 60 mph from nil takes 4.3 seconds; a quarter mile arrives in 12.7 seconds at 111.8 mph; braking from 60 mph to a standstill takes 101 feet. Most impressive: It achieved a 1.03 g average on the skidpad (for reference, that's stickier than a 2012 Audi R8 GT) and traced our figure eight in 24.2 seconds at an average 0.83 g. Before you Google "2012 Mustang Boss 302 Motor Trend", here are the 'Stang specs you seek: 3640 pound curb weight; 4.0 seconds from 0 to 60 mph; quarter-mile in 12.4 seconds at 115 mph; 60 mph to 0 in 106 feet; 1.0 g skidpad average; figure eight in 24.6 seconds at 0.81 g average. Feel free to discuss below.

#45 ·
Oops! My bad.
Still a little surprised that a stock or OTS Stage1 WRX can swing an equivalent trap speed, though.

#46 ·
I am OTS 93oct Stage 1 + SF intake.

Honestly, when my car was stock it felt pretty darn fast up to about 60 or so...then it was depressing.

Since the tune and intake, the low end feels MAYBE slightly better, but the top end was way more of an increase than I was expecting. I don't know if Subarus are any different, but every other car I've owned and modded saw top end gains from an intake, at the expense of low end torque. Not to mention the fact that the Cobb OTS map for Stage 1 with stock intake has a target boost of 16.5psi, but a Cobb OTS Stage 1 + SF intake map has a 17.5psi target (all of these are 93 octane maps, BTW). In my logs, I'm seeing consistent 17.8-18.3psi at WOT in 3rd gear. Not sure if that makes any difference to you, but my car is definitely not stock. haha

#48 ·
I'm thinking about getting the TP e-tune...I've heard so many people talk about how great it is and how great the guy is to work with...plus, I'm thinking if my car performs this well now it could only get better, right? lol Plus, it's only like $85 or something...that's pretty cheap for a customized tune, no?

#50 ·
The company that was referred to in this thread is called Torqued Performance. A quick google should get you his website, and therefore his contact info. :)

#52 ·
Truth is, both WRX and Camaro SS are capable of similar mid-13 sec 1/4 miles and it really comes down to the driver. My brother-in-law just picked up a 2013 Carrera 4S and his brother a 2012 Camaro SS - these guys are not car enthusiast by any means (seriously) just have the money to buy nice cars the can look good on. Never been on a track, drifted or drag raced anything over 250bhp... so, reality is, most guys in cool cars can't drive them and always end up looking bad because of it... of course there are those who can drive like they stole it and it'll be a good race then.

#53 ·
I'm a really cool guy in a cool car...and I can drive it like I stole it. Do I win? :drive2:

#58 ·
Lindsay's LGT with a dying turbo beat an SS. They are not impressive machines.

#62 ·
Agreed.

I got to drive one of the V6 versions with a 6spd...which are supposed to have 300+ HP of their own. I felt like I was driving my mom's Toyota Avalon. Most vague 6spd I've ever shifted. The power delivery was pure meh. No torque...I could not believe this thing supposedly had that much power. It sucked.

#64 ·
This has been interesting...I guess I assumed by the torque curves and hp numbers that he new SS would be fantastic in a straight line. Admittedly, the V6-auto that I rented felt unimpressive to me, but I attributed it to being used to 18G power delivery ("little bit-little bit-OMGHEREIGO!!!")

So a last-gen-SS, with LS1, is comparable or quicker? Seems weird, (even allowing for putting on 3-400 pounds), if there's really 100hp more on tap. I'll defer to the majority, since I have never driven an SS.

#65 ·
I think on paper the new camaro is faster, but the old camaro ss was under rated from the factory. My buddy has a stock 01 ss and he puts down 325 rwhp and runs mid 13s on street tires. He has beaten many stock camaro ss(new) but it may be the driver mod.

#66 ·
i raced new camaro (the toy looking one)
camaro guy start playing his car around me. he race and then brake. he wanted to test out his new camaro.
his girl friend lower the black window and smile on me. 3 way lane were empty and next we were waiting for the green light to come on. he did launch his car but i just race my car (no launch) i went to max speed 70.
i smoked him really bad. he was way behind me and then he turn left.

mine is hatch 2013 cobb stage 2 (my first race :) )

#67 ·
What country do you live in? Because if your English is that bad and you not only live in America, but also own a brand new stage 2 STi, I'm gonna punch myself in the face.

Sent from my Batphone using Tapatalk

#68 ·
i owned wrx not sti
if my english is bothring you then you can learn my language and stop ****ing about it

what the **** make you think english make you more inteligent
if it does then go buy mustang
not mishimoto or sushipingon
i am sick and tired of ****ing bad english
i tried hard to post with no mistakes
can you try hard to understand

#70 ·
once I drained my motor oil out of my wrx, I replaced the engine oil with pure manatee oil. I then strapped my car to the dyno, and I saw 444 HP out of an otherwise completely bone stock wrx at the rear wheels. Then I went out and smoked a gallardo and a bunch of honda civics. I gave some civics a shot at a race because you never know right? But some of them that had really nice paint I said not a chance, Im not even going to waste my gas on you clown doggie.

#72 ·
I have a Stage 3 modified WRX that goes like hell and is super fun to drive. There's a yellow SS in my town that I've seen driving around. I usually hear it drive by when I'm getting gas. I would love to meet up with with it at a light. I'm not certain if I would demolish him or he would demolish me or an even race. Either outcome - it would be a fun experience!

#82 ·
But the drag coeff. has then to be multiplied by the surface area, if my recollection is right. Then the question is which has more surface, so the smallr the car the better the result. The WRX might gain an advantage from that..., But then, who cares?!

#83 ·
In the end, it makes just as much of an impact on my appreciation for either car as do the magazine quarter mile times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.