WRX v GTI v SI v MS3 - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX v GTI v SI v MS3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i own a gti and am i selling it to purchase a wrx. i have a mkv and its a ...

i own a gti and am i selling it to purchase a wrx. i have a mkv and its a blast dont get me wrong, but i need something that can handle snow so im getting a subaru.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

as far as mpg goes, i get 22 and i live near L.A. But if you really want to get good mpg on a long highway drive, keep it at 65 and it will shoot up to 30. If you go even 70 mph, your mpg drops to 25. Pretty weird but at least the option is there if you want really good mpg for a car with decent power. Love my '11 wrx hatch.

its all about how it feels to you. regardless of what all these people say it comes down to how it feels to you. I hate hondas/acuras, bmw, and yes some mercs. i have a soft spot for vw cause that was my upbringing but you need to stop listening to what people say about how they feel about specific brands and go drive your own. Trust me there is immense mods for all. just start with what feels right. I was into the euro world for 9 years and now i have switched to the japanese scene cause of the cost of things. This is all about what you feel right with and what you would like to end up with. period. good luck

vw's suck.

iv driven my friends si and its a fun little car thats great for a peppy everyday driver. but it doesnt compare to my 02 wrx. its so much more fun to drive and you just feel like your going faster than an si when the boost kicks in.

Quote Originally Posted by JLINGO View Post
    its all about how it feels to you. regardless of what all these people say it comes down to how it feels to you. I hate hondas/acuras, bmw, and yes some mercs. i have a soft spot for vw cause that was my upbringing but you need to stop listening to what people say about how they feel about specific brands and go drive your own. Trust me there is immense mods for all. just start with what feels right. I was into the euro world for 9 years and now i have switched to the japanese scene cause of the cost of things. This is all about what you feel right with and what you would like to end up with. period. good luck
    Just curious, what do you "hate" about bmw's exactly? I don't know many car lover's (assuming you are one since you are posting on an auto enthusiast website) that hate bmws. They engineer some fantastic automobiles.

bmw makes some great cars
    02 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    If the 135i had been available for substantially less, (as many of us thought when it was first introduced), I would have looked seriously at getting one. BMW is the standard for driver's cars for many.
    I suppose that they carry a "snob stigma" with them in some people's eyes.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    If the 135i had been available for substantially less, (as many of us thought when it was first introduced), I would have looked seriously at getting one. BMW is the standard for driver's cars for many.
    I suppose that they carry a "snob stigma" with them in some people's eyes.
    +1 ......although I would much rather the BMW 1 Series M Coupe
    2011 WRX Limited - WR Blue Pearl

I Support ClubWRX
    Neat car, but at a base price of (last time I heard, at least) $47,000, much more than I'm now willing to spend.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by rokarion View Post
    as far as mpg goes, i get 22 and i live near L.A. But if you really want to get good mpg on a long highway drive, keep it at 65 and it will shoot up to 30. If you go even 70 mph, your mpg drops to 25. Pretty weird but at least the option is there if you want really good mpg for a car with decent power. Love my '11 wrx hatch.

I find this thread VERY interesting since I'm looking for a "hot" hatchback to be my dd.........

I just bought my WRX two months ago. I drove a SI and it felt about as fast as my Tiburon (I was unimpressed) plus the power was unusable in normal driving since it's all up high. Leave it to Honda to give you turbo-lag without the turbo. I also drove a GTI and honestly it was fun. Probably as much fun as the WRX, but I just don't care for the looks of it. Plus I couldn't find a low mile used one for a reasonable price and I've just never met a VW owner who said, "Man, I love how reliable my car is." The MS3 wasn't really ever a consideration for me as I just have something against the car. Sure it's fast and I hear the inside is nice, but it's like... they just took a car that had nothing special about it and slapped a turbo onto it. Which one could say about the Impreza too, but at least it's AWD and isn't about 95% driven by 16-30 year old women like the Mazda 3.

Anyway, in summary I liked how stable the WRX was over the SI and the GTI. I liked how much more powerful the WRX felt than the SI. The GTI felt almost as powerful (though not quite as fun without that turbo punch) and the MS3 is just not really a car I've ever liked.

I should also mention I drove a V6 Genesis and a V6 Mustang. To be honest I liked the Genesis better, even if it isn't as quick, but the RWD in the mountain desert just wouldn't have been good for me. The Mustang felt too big and the inside felt cheap, at best.
    Last edited by Geo-Aggie; 09-16-2011 at 06:54 PM.
    2010 Subaru WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
    I just bought my WRX two months ago. I drove a SI and it felt about as fast as my Tiburon (I was unimpressed) plus the power was unusable in normal driving since it's all up high. Leave it to Honda to give you turbo-lag without the turbo. I also drove a GTI and honestly it was fun. Probably as much fun as the WRX, but I just don't care for the looks of it. Plus I couldn't find a low mile used one for a reasonable price and I've just never met a VW owner who said, "Man, I love how reliable my car is." The MS3 wasn't really ever a consideration for me as I just have something against the car. Sure it's fast and I hear the inside is nice, but it's like... they just took a car that had nothing special about it and slapped a turbo onto it. Which one could say about the Impreza too, but at least it's AWD and isn't about 95% driven by 16-30 year old women like the Mazda 3.

Anyway, in summary I liked how stable the WRX was over the SI and the GTI. I liked how much more powerful the WRX felt than the SI. The GTI felt almost as powerful (though not quite as fun without that turbo punch) and the MS3 is just not really a car I've ever liked.

I should also mention I drove a V6 Genesis and a V6 Mustang. To be honest I liked the Genesis better, even if it isn't as quick, but the RWD in the mountain desert just wouldn't have been good for me. The Mustang felt too big and the inside felt cheap, at best.
    Did you even look at the EVO?

Well excuse me if I'm being a jerk, but the way I see it is the only reason you're asking everyone else's opinion on which car you should buy is either
    A: you have no opinion of your own, or
    B: you're choosing a car based on what everyone else thinks.

If this is the case, the answer is simple.
    If you answered A; buy the Honda. You deserve it. Or go buy a Focus or Corolla.
    If you answered B; buy the MS3 if you want to impress all the cute girls at school, buy the VW if you want to impress all the cute boys at school, buy the Si if you want to impress the librarian at school, and buy the WRX if you want to impress everyone at school, especially the people who know anything about cars and tuning and racing, etc.

Hope this helps! I bought a Subaru because I liked it, it was a good comprimise between everything I value and need in a car, and most importantly, in my price range.

Quote Originally Posted by super13pill View Post
    Well excuse me if I'm being a jerk, but the way I see it is the only reason you're asking everyone else's opinion on which car you should buy is either
    A: you have no opinion of your own, or
    B: you're choosing a car based on what everyone else thinks.

If this is the case, the answer is simple.
    If you answered A; buy the Honda. You deserve it. Or go buy a Focus or Corolla.
    If you answered B; buy the MS3 if you want to impress all the cute girls at school, buy the VW if you want to impress all the cute boys at school, buy the Si if you want to impress the librarian at school, and buy the WRX if you want to impress everyone at school, especially the people who know anything about cars and tuning and racing, etc.

Hope this helps! I bought a Subaru because I liked it, it was a good comprimise between everything I value and need in a car, and most importantly, in my price range.
    +1 to this! Do what makes you happy man! Cars should speak to you... If not, wait. There WILL be something better over time. I have been obsessed with this car for 10 years. Owned Jetta GLI, Genesis coup track, and civic si. None held a candle to this car. Just my 2 cents.
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast