WRX v GTI v SI v MS3 - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX v GTI v SI v MS3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm in a similar spot, I'm looking at the 11/12 Wrx and Ms3 to purchase at the end of summer. ...

I'm in a similar spot, I'm looking at the 11/12 Wrx and Ms3 to purchase at the end of summer. I'd love to test drive either but I don't know anyone at the Mazda dealer who has the speed sales in the area, and there are no wrx's for sale within almost 500 miles >.< Guess I might have to wait for the 12's regardless on that.

The GTI is underpowered and looks like every other car that VW sells, in my opinion. The SI has too much of a boy racer appeal without proving itself as capable enough compared to the other cars in the segment. Also, Honda fannies are the worst, as the OP already noted.

I'm looking at the Wrx for how they hold their value, best performance in segment, awd, utility (coming from a miata the Wrx has 100% better performance and a vastly superior cargo capacity), and great looks.

The ms3 looks great in my opinion, I've heard great things from friends who bought them re: performance and drive quality, better mpg than Wrx.

Honestly you can't go wrong with either choice, and I can't wait to get into one of them come August =p

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

if you want value for every dollar but don't mind FWD for DD, go with ms3.

if u need what u can get from the ms3 (sport, no tech package) with AWD, the unique boxer sound and can shell out more money, go with a WRX. i wouldn't even consider the si nor the gti. they're not in the same league as the ms3 and wrx, IMO.

but, it's your car. go test drive if you can, i'm pretty sure you will find a hard time choosing which one you'll get.
    Last edited by zwrxp09; 06-04-2011 at 09:50 AM.
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited 5-dr with Navi SPT STS and bushings, Center Armrest Ext, Auto-Dimming Mirror, Rear Cupholders, All-weather mats, Alloy wheel locks and Rear Bumper Cover... Current Mods Stage1, Tint (20% front, 5% the rest), 6K HID bulbs, Nameless Axleback, Moda MD14 wheels with my stock tires, Stock wheels with Himalaya winter boots... Future Mods Speaker upgrade, Subwoofer, Dynamat, Repainting badges to smoke.

Well I was typing up a huge story on this but it somehow got deleted so Ill make it short and simple

My 2 cents since I owned an MKV gti for 2 yrs prior to the WRX I will chime in

GTI: stock is pretty slow, DSG got old, would rattle a lot, (people say the German interior is superior but I dont think so.(actually less road noise in the WRX), MPG is better but once Stage1 $500 it was pretty bad like the WRX when you drive hard. Fun car yes did I love it no thats why it was gone after 2 yrs the 2011 WRX came out with the new wide body that I have always loved.
    Fiance had an 08 A3 that had tons of problems with it. A3 depreciated very badly when she got out of in in 2yrs VW/AUDI services is horrible. Wrecked 2 of my rims doing oil changes(2 different dealers while rotating tires at oil change)

IMO the MK6 interior is pretty bad. Doesnt feel as good as the MKV.. check one out to compare. Body Style of the MK6 is better though

MS3: have 2 friends that had them, fun cars, accessport tuned them and the Turbo started having issues at 30K so buddy got into a 370Z. IMO body style of MS3 is ugly doesnt look right to me.

WRX: Very fun to drive, it stick, AWD, aborbs potholes barely even feel them, looks super aggresive, I missed my car while we were on vacation with my fiances 328 since it was auto.
    Stereo was horrible before installing the OEM kicker sub, Gas is worse, You can do donughts in the snow and go in the mud no problem. Not happening with FWD. WRX have excellent resale value. I would say I love my car. Enjoy driving it everyday. Turbo is pretty nice once it kicks in higher RPMS. Simple tune would fix it.
    I have a Limited and didnt have leather with the GTI but I actually prefer the interior of the WRX. Yes the body and doors arent as solid as the GTi but at the end of the day who cares. Ultimately what will you enjoy driving on a daily basis? My buddy who has an 04 WRX said it best. "THe WRX is a drivers car" This is true, never enjoyed the as much as my REX
    Last edited by YorkWRX11; 06-06-2011 at 08:05 PM.

I've gone through the same exercise. My choice has come down to between GTI and WRX (MS3 is just too ugly, and Si doesn't come as a hatch). Due to where I live (heavy police presence, lots of traffic), 50 mile daily commute, the need for some practicality (center pass through), and price, I think I'd probably would go with GTI - handling is more important to me than HP, and I'd get winter tires any way.

Reliability wise, the overall nod probably goes to WRX, but I've heard in the past about engine issues...?

Quote Originally Posted by ManMachine View Post
    Reliability wise, the overall nod probably goes to WRX, but I've heard in the past about engine issues...?
    There were issues with early build date 09 WRX's that have since been corrected.

I couldn't be happier with my WRX. I actually love the interior (minus the rattles). That may just be because my previous car was a base model 2004 corolla with roll up windows and my other car is a 1970 el camino. I don't really know what luxury is

As far as a drivers car goes, I feel like the WRX is at the top of the list. My girlfriend drives a smiley Mazda 3, and she looks adorable in it. I'm not sure that's the look I'd want, though. SI is uninspiring at best, and the GTI is just overpriced IMO.

There is definitely a market for all of these cars, the WRX just fits ME best. You need to find out what fits YOU best.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

ill be 100% honest with you man, i live in Newfoundland, canada, and bought a 2011 WRX sedan back Sept. 31, 2010, having the first one in the province. I must say for the most part the ride comfort is very good and for a stock car its handling is unbelievable, i drove it all winter through snow storms and the like.. never stuck once. In newfoundland the road quality is generally crap considering we have such mild winters and springs, and my opinion is that the car is very comfortable, but I'm also only 20 years old, so I dont mind the stiff suspension or potholes or ruts in the road, if your a good deal older, you may want to reconsider, however if comfort isn't your top quality, the performance, handling and safety of the vehicle, besides its BAD-ASS looks, will easily top any complaints you may have about the ride comfort, and like i said thats only if you drive on rough terrain. Overall the cars amazing man, you will NOT regret it haha

Hello chaps. I'm in somewhat of the same boat in considering a new vehicle and the WRX and GTI have been at the top of my list. Most of the major points concerning the GTI have been mentioned here, but there is one thing we seem to have missed.

German engineering. Germans over-engineer everything and the result is an amazing car in terms of ride quality and power delivery- until it breaks. Then that over-engineering translates into more stuff breaking. Currently driving a BMW, there is truth in the acronym standing for "Bring My Wallet" and that pretty much stands for all German cars (my family has owned nothing but German cars since I was in elementary school and I worked at a Mercedes shop in high school so I have first hand experience with the pricey repair bills).

I've test driven the GTI and new-gen MS3. MS3 has terrible torque steer and the clutch is on/off (very tiny engagement point in its range), but the interior is pretty nice. The GTI was a little underpowered but man it handled great. You can get an APR tune, intake, and exhaust and be putting around 250hp 250tq (ish) to the tires on the GTI and the quality of the German suspension really helps minimalize the torque steer. That being said, the GTI has an additional major downfall which has been missed until now - the direct injection.

Direct injection means no fuel is passing over the intake valves to help keep them clean from carbon deposits (I've talked to several MkVI GTI owners about this) and the intake valves gather a fair amount of carbon deposits from the crankcase ventilation system. VW knows about this, and you'll need to have the cylinder head and valves cleaned out around 60,000 miles into the car. Can you say, Bring My Wallet? Now, there is a company out there called BSH and they make a catch can for the GTI's crankcase vent system to extend this required service until about 100,000 miles, but that only delays the Bring My Wallet.

Personally, I'm done with German cars for a while. Too much $$ once they break down (and it will happen with regularity). The WRX gets my vote right now. I've already addressed my issues with the MS3. The new Civic Si has drive-by-wire throttle and fly-by-wire steering, which means the computer interprets your input and then tells the car to do what it thinks you want it to do. Give me a simple throttle cable and mechanical rack-and-pinion steering any day.

Hope this helps my friend.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsmith87 View Post
    Direct injection means no fuel is passing over the intake valves to help keep them clean from carbon deposits (I've talked to several MkVI GTI owners about this) and the intake valves gather a fair amount of carbon deposits from the crankcase ventilation system. VW knows about this, and you'll need to have the cylinder head and valves cleaned out around 60,000 miles into the car. Can you say, Bring My Wallet? Now, there is a company out there called BSH and they make a catch can for the GTI's crankcase vent system to extend this required service until about 100,000 miles, but that only delays the Bring My Wallet.
    Why is a 60k induction service such a big expense? They run about $150. VW maintenance is absolutely going to cost more than a Subaru's, but I haven't found the increase to be significant.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

he was probably talking about direct injection problems like this... http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2197616
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited 5-dr with Navi SPT STS and bushings, Center Armrest Ext, Auto-Dimming Mirror, Rear Cupholders, All-weather mats, Alloy wheel locks and Rear Bumper Cover... Current Mods Stage1, Tint (20% front, 5% the rest), 6K HID bulbs, Nameless Axleback, Moda MD14 wheels with my stock tires, Stock wheels with Himalaya winter boots... Future Mods Speaker upgrade, Subwoofer, Dynamat, Repainting badges to smoke.

IMO If you are looking for AWD in VW then go for R32 instead of GTI. R32 is rated at 260 w/AWD and DSG. If you don't know what R32 is then it is golf on steroids w/out turbo. I had my Jetta GLI 05 MK4 w/out any issue or problem. Right now my GLI is sitting at 59k.

Quote Originally Posted by zwrxp09 View Post
    he was probably talking about direct injection problems like this... Direct Injection Fouls Some Early Adopters - NASIOC
    Exactly. That's one big headache I want to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by klor80 View Post
    IMO If you are looking for AWD in VW then go for R32 instead of GTI. R32 is rated at 260 w/AWD and DSG. If you don't know what R32 is then it is golf on steroids w/out turbo.
    Or you could wait for the Golf R20 that's coming out in 2012. 266hp 258tq 2.0L turbo AWD. But you'd still have the direct injection woes...

http://www.insideline.com/volkswagen...rst-drive.html
    Last edited by mattsmith87; 06-21-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Great thread!

Like the OP, I'm also driving an Honda Civic, and shopping for the same cars mentioned. My current car, 1998 Civic EX coupe has been great, no major problems and only upgrades are light suspension upgrades which make this car good on gas and also fun to drive.

But it's really starting to show it's age and looking for something bigger, figuring I could sell before any issues for something newer. My biggest factors for a new car would be something fun and some power, but I don't need a track monster or something so harsh it's going to rattle my teeth. Current car maybe has 100whp on a cold day.

I really like the GTI, but I really don't like the track record of VW and from my previous experience with a 89 GTI, didn't like how every part had to be ordered. I figured VW would have changed by now but from recent VW owners, it's still an issue. Also I honestly don't think this car would last 10 years with careful driving without some major repairs.

Given they improved their cars, I am not that impressed when just a few years ago windows were falling out of new cars, coil packs were failing, etc. Many people say the GTI is a real world faster car than others, but with so much technology packed in there, it's more of a luxury compact than a daily driver compact IMHO.

The Mazdaspeed3 looks really impressive, the 2nd gen doesn't look bad to me, I actually like the raised fenders over the 1st gen car. The power is pretty much at the limit for a FWD, I driven a turbo Civic at 220hp and that was fun, this car sounds a bit too much. All of the reviews point at the same problems, but Mazda really is keeping the car a bit rough around the edges which is better than watering it down for the masses.

My only major concern with the MS3 is how long can a car last being pushing to this limit. I'm guessing that the parts are really not engineered for 250+hp but for the stock trim, so I feel like it's a possible issue down the road. Since the 3 is so popular I'm sure parts are not expensive but still something to think about. Car and Driver's long term MS3 was extremely low cost to have work done.

I'm not crazy about the SI for a few years now. I really liked the 99-00 SI's but since then they have been not as great. I'm sure for a daily driver they are fun but with the 2012 model, it's not something I could see driving for 10 years. The major plus on this car would be the ergo's and it looks like what Honda wanted to make, a grown up compact car with a small amount of extra performance.

The WRX for 2011 and 2012 look really nice, I like the widebody and it's not over done. The track record for Subaru is good and after we bought a 2011 Forester for my wife I really liked the drive and feel of AWD over FWD. Even the interior looks good to me, while after reviews of the WRX complain of the plastic interior. I still haven't test driven any of the cars here but the only reason why I haven't tested a WRX is they are never in stock when we were shopping for her Forester.

Since the supply is getting lower and lower, I'm planning to just wait until August for the 2012's. I saw some colors on this forum which were not my first pick but really look good in non-Subaru photos.

To the OP: If the Si does end up interesting you, know that it can be very fun to drive, especially as a DD. I currently drive an 08 Si with a Mugen catback and flashpro and it's a joy on a day to day basis. Compared to an 06 wrx and 07 sti I drove, it serves daily commutes better. With the high cam set to engage at 4500 rpm, mid range power is much improved and the Mugen sounds fantastic. Steering feel is better in my opinion and the transmission and clutch are flawless (no problems like some report). That being said I still miss torque. Excited to have an swp 2012 hatch on order. WRX gets my vote!

Quote Originally Posted by A.B. View Post
    "asking a fat guy if the buffet has good food."

Buy a wrx makes going everywhere a blast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.