WRX vs. STI Purchase
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. STI Purchase within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi. I'm new to the site and haven't bought my Subby yet. Obviously an STi would beat a WRX. But ...

WRX vs. STI Purchase

Hi. I'm new to the site and haven't bought my Subby yet. Obviously an STi would beat a WRX. But is it worth the extra money? I'm about to place an order on a 2012, and I just want performance, basic package. Idk to get the STI ($34,720), or the WRX ($26,220) and try to get add ons over time. Insurance is actually the same quoted price. Worth the extra $8,500? Any suggestions? Regrets from WRX or STi owners? Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru can build an STi better and cheaper than an owner, so "upgrading" a WRX non-STi over time isn't the way I'd go. I'd buy the car I want now and leave it alone for its lifetime. Drive both and see; they have changed the cars so that they are not as dissimilar as they once were.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Will you ever go to the track? If no, then get a WRX. If yes, you will want the STI. That IMO is the only question you need to ask yourself. I'm going to hit the track at some point and as I mod things, I just keep finding new weaknesses. Power and suspension I've fixed. But I don't think the brakes will hold up very well at all. So I agree with the above. Don't get a WRX and try to make it an STI. But if this is just a street soldier then the WRX is perfect.

So for me I got the WRX. The base's invoice price is like $24,500 so the savings vs the STI was significant. As I've modded my WRX I've often wondered if I wouldn't need to mod as much if I had gotten an STI. But I think I still would so the WRX was the better deal since I'm doing the same stuff I would with an STI.

The WRX is cheaper, lighter, and now basically looks like the STI so those things really sold me (as did the new gunmetal rims and bluetooth stereo with steering wheel controls). The WRX is an incredible buy IMO.
    Last edited by anxiouz; 05-18-2011 at 05:18 PM.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    STI is a far superior car.... hands down..... better platform.

However, it's more money to buy, and more money to insure... you should keep those factors in mind.

Yes, you can "build" a WRX to out-perform an STI in every aspect, but it isn't cheap.

The high tickets items on an STI? The Brakes and the tranny. The rest doesn't really justify the price increase. Those two items do.

Your call.

I couldn't afford an STI when I bought my WRX..... but I haven't looked back, or regretted my decision.... ever. Granted, I've got a few mods, but it generally draws significantly more attention at shows and at the track than STIs do... which makes me proud, cause I can say "Yea, I built it"........ not "Yea, I bought it".

Thats Just me. I would have loved to start with an STI.... but it just wasn't in the figures, so I built the WRX (over time, when I had the extra $$) the way I wanted it.

It's pretty cool to drive an STI at the track and spank a bunch of other STIs and EVOs.

It's a LOT cooler to drive a WRX at the track and spank a bunch of STIs and EVOs
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

I agree with the above. What I like to stress is that the WRX may be down 40hp from the STI but it's also like 200lbs lighter. So the power:weight ratio isn't drastically different.

But yeah, if you're planning on modding past 300whp/wtq then you most def want an STI for the tranny alone.

If you have the money, get the STI. The 6-speed, Brembos, DCCD and amazing re-sale value will pay off in the end. You don't need to take an STI to the track to appreciate all the extra things you get over the WRX.

I bought my WRX 3 months ago and I totally regret not getting an STI.
    The extra power, superior suspension and DCCD would all be awesome, but what I really want most is the 6 speed.
    The WRX's 5 speed isn't great. The engine revs at 3K+ RPMs at 120km / hr. It needs another gear badly.

The STI gearing doesn't bring that down. It's has totally different gear ratios, not just "an extra gear". So you'd still be at the same RPM in an STI.

Smile

Hey thanks everyone for the input, it has really helped my decision. The insurance through USAA, Im in the Air Force, single, practically no bills, and usaa's insurance quote for the 2012 wrx and sti are the same price! crazy right? I didn't even consider an STi until I discovered this. I might as well go with the STi, like you guys said, better re-sale value in the end so I would prolly end up paying less. And I live in North Dakota, tons of snow, AWD is significant, and the DCCD would be amazing for snow and aggressive on the track, which I will race on eventually. Thanks again for everyone's opinions!

Quote Originally Posted by clarky99 View Post
    I bought my WRX 3 months ago and I totally regret not getting an STI.
    The extra power, superior suspension and DCCD would all be awesome, but what I really want most is the 6 speed.
    The WRX's 5 speed isn't great. The engine revs at 3K+ RPMs at 120km / hr. It needs another gear badly.
    There are different options as to what gears a 5 speed WRX carries. I blew 4th, in a USDM casing, and replaced the whole trans with a treated JDM set in a JDM case, and with an ACT clutch and flywheel, I get quick shifts (twm lever/goodridge clutch line/kartboy bushings/whiteline diff locks and bushings), braking is great with a Stoptech stage 3 oe brake kit, steel lines, hawk HP ceramic pads, .......
    I could go on, but my 2002 sedan runs rings around a stock STi. Up til 2012. I'll bow to those.
    I am only two liters and 21psi. I am using a 2010 STi intercooler, so the new setup definitely rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by WRX>SEX View Post
    Insurance is actually the same quoted price.
    It may have been the same "quoted" price, but that's because they quoted it wrong. If you actually gave them an STI VIN it would definitely come out higher. They are in very different insurance brackets...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Guess it all comes down to what you would like to... or plan to do with the car.
    The Base WRX runs around $25,000 and the Base STi is around $34,000... ~$9k, That is a large difference (of course not nearly ~$20k difference between a base model vette and a Zo6 HAHA).

Heres some basic comparisons:
    For ~$25k, You get: 265 HP/ 244 ft-lbs 2.5L H4 (EJ255?), 5MT Trans, Good Suspension
    For ~$34k, you get: 305 HP / 295 ft-lbs 2.5L H4 (EJ257?), 6MT Trans, Bigger Brakes, Very Good Suspension

Just be sure to buy the car that wont put a huge strain on your finances (payment of vehicle + insurance + maintenance)...

Even though that I know that I can afford one (STi), I am not one who wants to fork out monthly payments in excess of even $350 per month (on a five year loan). So, personally, I buy used.
    Last edited by WillieRX; 09-19-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    2006 Subaru WRX TR (Weekend Warrior)
    1993 Ford F250 Diesel (Daily Work Commuter)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #9455
    My WRX Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    It may have been the same "quoted" price, but that's because they quoted it wrong. If you actually gave them an STI VIN it would definitely come out higher. They are in very different insurance brackets...
    My STi insurance price was dead on what I was quoted. The WRX quote was actually $2 higher/month. Strange. I don't ask. Insurance is complicated stuff.

Anyhow, on the WRX vs. STi debate, I'd suggest getting what you can comfortably afford. If either of them results in eating ramen noodles frequently, I'd stick with a grand prix. I am happy with my STi for what its worth. I learned how to drive it when I picked it up off the lot, so the 6-spd durability is a nice piece of mind, and will be for a while I am sure. Added some driveline mounts and a few goodies, and I couldn't be happier with the car... well, other than the stereo, but that's a winter project.

Gonna get different opinions from both sides... always turns into a pretty heated argument. I'd really go with what you are comfortable finance wise. I'd compare a WRX to a GTi or MS3. I'd put the STi in a bit higher price bracket with possibly an Evo or even a 1/335xi or similar. I'd first look at what you are willing to spend on the car, then narrow it down and give or take some cash.

This thread seems to be taking the "if you can afford it, go for it" direction. Frequently, it takes the "the WRX is faster in a whatever situation, or can be made faster cheaper". I like this direction, and feel its a more applicable direction... I'd strongly caution against going with the WRX solely based on the faster 0-60 time that is publicized.

Whichever you get, I'm sure you'll love it. If not, the cars are fairly easy to customize to your likings =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Having owned both....a WRX is fine for 99% of the world. You'll likely never safely drive either to their limits on the road. You'll likely out drive on own ability before the cars in both cases.

I'd get the wrx add tires and do some basic brakes/suspension mods. It's a great base car.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    My STi insurance price was dead on what I was quoted. The WRX quote was actually $2 higher/month. Strange. I don't ask. Insurance is complicated stuff.
    I agree, things don't always make sense. An STI is a much higher risk vehicle and should always be higher than a WRX. I guess I have to question if your WRX quote was right or not if it was higher than the STI turned out to be.

It also depends whether you were shopping from a reseller or direct. If it was a reseller, all bets are off. You have to factor in their profit margin and incentives.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast