WRX vs. STI Purchase - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on WRX vs. STI Purchase within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This will fly in the face of many Subaru fanboysl I don't care. I love my 2010 WRX and cannot, ...

This will fly in the face of many Subaru fanboysl I don't care. I love my 2010 WRX and cannot, for the life of me, think why I would want an STI. That's not to say others don't have great reasons to go to the more significantly more expensive car. Realistically, you cannot even vaguely legally use the extras (HP, brakes, etc.) that come on an STI on the street. But, if an STI helps your sex life, great. (Some people have trouble that way, you know...) TBH...for the money that a new STI commands, I'd look at a lot of other cars...new and used. Do you really, really want a car booking in the mid-30's with this level of stereo and other refinements that make a care livable on a day-to-day basis?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hunter20ga View Post
    Realistically, you cannot even vaguely legally use the extras (HP, brakes, etc.) that come on an STI on the street.
    I make full use of the features of my STI on the street. I really don't understand your statement at all...

TBH...for the money that a new STI commands, I'd look at a lot of other cars...new and used. Do you really, really want a car booking in the mid-30's with this level of stereo and other refinements that make a care livable on a day-to-day basis?
    I'm curious what other cars you'd look at? I paid $34k for my STI Limited with full leather and a lot of other nice refinements on it. Plus there's not another new car at this price point that has close to the same power, handling, and AWD. I'm not the only person that feels this way considering Subaru's sales numbers...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

This will fly in the face of many Subaru fanboysl I don't care. I love my 2010 WRX and cannot, for the life of me, think why I would want an STI. That's not to say others don't have great reasons to go to the more significantly more expensive car. Realistically, you cannot even vaguely legally use the extras (HP, brakes, etc.) that come on an STI on the street. But, if an STI helps your sex life, great. (Some people have trouble that way, you know...) TBH...for the money that a new STI commands, I'd look at a lot of other cars...new and used. Do you really, really want a car booking in the mid-30's with this level of stereo and other refinements that make a care livable on a day-to-day basis?
    I'm not a fan boy at all but I'd buy an STi if I could comfortably afford it. I test drove a low mileage 11 sedan and it does have a few things I'd enjoy but I can agree with the wrx being a great car for the money. I actually could have bought the STi but would have to leave it all stock due to increased price and cost of ownership.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I make full use of the features of my STI on the street. I really don't understand your statement at all...

I'm curious what other cars you'd look at? I paid $34k for my STI Limited with full leather and a lot of other nice refinements on it. Plus there's not another new car at this price point that has close to the same power, handling, and AWD. I'm not the only person that feels this way considering Subaru's sales numbers...
    I really don't see how you paid $34k for a brand new limited STi unless some number games were played with a trade in or extra fee's on top.

What do you guys think completely swapped sti engine 1997, drive train, and transmission into a Subaru impreza 98. The Guy has had a shop for awhile tuned plenty of subarus. Also built a few other subarus. Engines only got 48,000, body 130,000. But still looks great going to take a look at it with a mechanic with 20 years experience. Post for the Subaru is at the bottom. Tell me what you guys think as far as price too somewhat new to this but still know some. Thanks, for the labor and parts he put into it i think its pretty worth it, but could drop to 12500 maybe.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...964193860.html

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Having owned a 2011 WRX, and now a 2012 STI, I can attest to fully using all of the STI features on the street (safely, legally, and daily..). Every difference on the STI is immediately noticed during daily driving, and IMHO every difference is superior to the WRX. Prior to purchasing my 2011 WRX I read a lot on the forums and articles, most of which said that the WRX was 95% of the STI, and the only reason to get an STI is to use it on the track. I firmly believed that until I test drove the STI and realized its a completely different car. I will never track my STI, and IMO the price difference is justified (if you can comfortably afford it).

Simply put, if you are debating between the WRX and STI then it is just a question of money. If you can comfortably afford the STI, and are willing to spend the difference, the choice is simple. Either way though you are getting a fantastic car. I really liked my WRX, but I'm not going back to it now that I've gotten to know my STI.
    Last edited by Dramlin; 04-28-2012 at 11:54 AM.
    2012 PBP Limited STI
    2002 Aspen White WRX Wagon, Stage 1

Quote Originally Posted by Dramlin View Post
    Having owned a 2011 WRX, and now a 2012 STI, I can attest to fully using all of the STI features on the street (safely, legally, and daily..). Every difference on the STI is immediately noticed during daily driving, and IMHO every difference is superior to the WRX. Prior to purchasing my 2011 WRX I read a lot on the forums and articles, most of which said that the WRX was 95% of the STI, and the only reason to get an STI is to use it on the track. I firmly believed that until I test drove the STI and realized its a completely different car. I will never track my STI, and IMO the price difference is justified (if you can comfortably afford it).

Simply put, if you are debating between the WRX and STI then it is just a question of money. If you can comfortably afford the STI, and are willing to spend the difference, the choice is simple. Either way though you are getting a fantastic car. I really liked my WRX, but I'm not going back to it now that I've gotten to know my STI.
    I agree, well put.

Great Information on this thread. I am new to this site and this is actually my first post. I am considering buying a wrx or sti but was not sure of the price difference. It is significant but after some quick research i believe its very well worth it. Not only you are paying more for it, but financing rates are higher for sti as well. In reality if the payment is not that much more. I also asked the sales man about modifying the car, if it voids warrantee . He said yes, unless you get everything installed at dealer. Its no brainer. Get the STI cause you don't have to worry about doing any modifications for a while.

The thing about the warranty is that...most people who buy a WRX/STi get the mod bug and essentially void it anyway
    I have a low Reynolds number

TP Stage 1 - 2012 WRX Premium 5-Door SWP
    Pics!

czn
    find out if you have a cool dealer..... my dealer said they would return the car to stock and warranty it if something went wrong. Obviously if i go above stage 2 they will have a harder time doing that.
    -Dave
    2001 is300 Solar Yellow *RIP*
    2004 RX-8 Black
    2011 WRX STi - Cobb SF Stage 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Your dealer said they would defraud Subaru?

Is it logical (lets leave ethical aside) for them to do this?

Why would you go back to this place?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The sales kid at the dealer that I went to he owns an sti. He showed me his personal ride and it's all worked up. He takes it to the track. I'm sure he has connections. Beauty of getting a new car is warrantee. I'll get sti and only do modifications that I can reverse in case I need to service car.

To be fair when I bought my STi I was orginally going in to order a WRX limited with a lot of goodies. Between what I was going to order and the STi after they dropped the price a few grand were too close to pass up.

I would say if the buyer is looking for a base WRX to save cash.....you are getting a hell of a car for that money. If you are going in to get a WRX Limited with goodies..... consider spending a bit more, or haggle for an STi.

Of course this is just opinion as I got a great deal, and the wife was supportive of it.

I wish I could get a new 2011 sti. Base. I don't like the wheels and headlights of the 2012. For that alone I think I'm just going to wait. I have my supra tt to keep me busy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.