WRX vs. STI Purchase - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. STI Purchase within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Subaru is very shy about letting people drive the STi without serious intent to buy because every mile on that ...

Subaru is very shy about letting people drive the STi without serious intent to buy because every mile on that car before it is sold is likely to be abuse. It is not likely that anyone new to Subaru's STi is going to shift precisely, brake and downshift appropriately, etc. They are going to TEST the car... see what it is capable of. In other words, abuse it. No one wants a $35,000 car that has already had a beating handed to it.

I got a used 2002 WRX with 80k miles. It was $10k. I put about another $15k into it, and there aren't a whole lot of 2002 STis that can keep up. It came with a glazed clutch, a couple of missing teeth in the tranny... after about $5k into the tranny and diffs, I can launch as hard as I want on 18psi. at a hair under 300hp, and I get about 32mpg highway on 93o pump gas.

That difference has changed. The newer WRX uses a 2.5 liter block with a more developed turbo system. There are more similarities and less differences. This due partly to the fact that Subaru recognizes that the new WRX is pretty tame compared to it's GC8 and GDA/B cousins. The new STi holds those concepts and displays them well.

If you are planning to turn a WRX into an STi, forget it. Hybrid engine builds, stuff like that, sure. If you are inclined to do that. That can be successful, but I am not sure how that would work out on a newer model. I believe the changes to the design have made the cars less "swappable".

One thing that really would help is if you pull into the dealership in an STi. If you already have one, why wouldn't you want another?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I think the policy about "no test drives" is likely to minimize joy riders posing as prospective customers.
    It would be interesting to know how many people with some gray hair coming in get turned down for test drives.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

The ability to test drive had a big impact on which dealership I bought the my WRX from. Simply put, I bought from the one that let me do it.

My long term plans are to hold onto my WRX for as long as possible, but someday the day will come when I am looking to upgrade. At that point I will probably be looking at an STi, assuming that it there have been no major undesired changes to it.

At that point test driving will be huge again. I will not buy a car without test driving it. I am a pretty big guy, and physically fitting in the car and being able to properly operate it are huge factors. The main reason I stopped looking at the Abarth was because the Fiat dealership told me I would have to put down a deposit and order a car before I could test drive it. I nope'd right out of there.

I can't remember where I was going with this now. But any dealership that wants to sell me a car better let me test drive it.

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree! I can't imagine buying a vehicle without evaluating it's driving characteristics.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

czn
    its all about the right dealership... mine even gave me the name of a performance shop to go to for tuning and parts... they said if anything goes wrong they will return the car to stock and warranty it. I would chat with the service department before making a purchase...both service managers at this place have modded wrx's.
    -Dave
    2001 is300 Solar Yellow *RIP*
    2004 RX-8 Black
    2011 WRX STi - Cobb SF Stage 2

Banned
    I originally was going to buy a STi..I placed an order for one. The more and more I thought about it and kept reading. I figure i had no use for it. the WRX is fine for me. I have never been to a track and never plan on it so I dont need all those extra features that are only gonna be a big thing on a track. the car isnt drivin alot just a toy to cruise around in. I wasnt looking to do any major mods to it the 5speed vs 6speed doesnt bother me even if the 6speed is stronger. I will also say the numerous threads all over the place about STi ringland failures and how it didnt seem to happen much to the WRX also played a big role in getting the WRX instead. I will say there are 2 features of the STi i really want but cant have. Turn off this retarded useless hill assist. and have an ALL black interior. god it is soooo cheap looking subaru would do a 2 tone interior on the WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Doobis View Post
    I originally was going to buy a STi..I placed an order for one. The more and more I thought about it and kept reading. I figure i had no use for it. the WRX is fine for me. I have never been to a track and never plan on it so I dont need all those extra features that are only gonna be a big thing on a track. the car isnt drivin alot just a toy to cruise around in. I wasnt looking to do any major mods to it the 5speed vs 6speed doesnt bother me even if the 6speed is stronger. I will also say the numerous threads all over the place about STi ringland failures and how it didnt seem to happen much to the WRX also played a big role in getting the WRX instead. I will say there are 2 features of the STi i really want but cant have. Turn off this retarded useless hill assist. and have an ALL black interior. god it is soooo cheap looking subaru would do a 2 tone interior on the WRX
    Personally, I'd rather have an STi but didn't want to spend another $160 a month. Ringland failure's can happen either way, just get rid of the stock tune to be safe. I also hate the hill assist but I've learned how to stop n go without it coming on most of the time. If if does come on I just take my foot off the break a few seconds before I'm actually going to pull out so it disengages.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Quote Originally Posted by jas280z View Post
    The ability to test drive had a big impact on which dealership I bought the my WRX from. Simply put, I bought from the one that let me do it.

I will not buy a car without test driving it. I am a pretty big guy, and physically fitting in the car and being able to properly operate it are huge factors. But any dealership that wants to sell me a car better let me test drive it.
    I second this. The only one (out of about 6-7 dealers) got my sale.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    and there aren't a whole lot of 2002 STis that can keep up.
    I'm gonna guess this number is 0. The STI didn't come to the states until 04.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I don't understand why dealers won't let people test drive STi's but they can drive WRX's. In a straight line, they are equally fast and potentially dangerous.
    I have a low Reynolds number

TP Stage 1 - 2012 WRX Premium 5-Door SWP
    Pics!

czn
    its about how much money your spending....on a subaru... if im shelling out 35+ for a subaru I don't want it to be driven by anyone but the dealer.
    -Dave
    2004 RX-8 Black

So that's to say a Ford dealer doesn't let anyone test drive a mustang gt?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Pics!

czn
    It would be to say that a ford dealer doesnt let anyone test drive a mustang cobra.
    -Dave
    2004 RX-8 Black

A cobra is a different level of car, but oh well..

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Pics!

czn
    ya you right but i just mean in terms of level car for the dealership.... for subaru the STi is the top of the line. But ya i also agree that another main reason is probably the fact that tons of kids tried to test drive for joy rides so they pick and choose who can drive the STis. When i went to pick up my STi they had some guy in his 30's test driving one
    -Dave
    2004 RX-8 Black

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast