WRX vs. STI Purchase - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. STI Purchase within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Gilly Monster This is pretty much exactly how I felt when I got mine, Drove both, and ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly Monster View Post
    This is pretty much exactly how I felt when I got mine, Drove both, and honestly just felt STi suited the experience I desired better!
    Would you mind describing the differences you felt between the 2011 WRX and STi? Does the STi feel faster.. or is a more buttoned down feeling? I imagine the power difference isn't as noticeable between the two cars.

I ask because I have a 2005 Legacy GT wagon manual. I love the powertrain.. but the suspension is pretty loosey goosey. I'm looking for the 2.5l turbo powertrain but the suspension/handling of my dearly departed 2003 RSX-S and I'm wondering if I need the STi for that. I have no intentions of ever being on a track though.
    Of course I'd love to test drive both but my local dealer only has in-transit WRXs. Thanks for your input!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    One question you may have not considered: Do you genuinely enjoy modifying cars? If so, I'd say get the WRX and use the money you saved for toys....My wife always says I have "new toys on the front porch." If you don't, get the STI, which comes ready to perform with much less modification needed. Like ninefourteener said, I prefer - "Yea, I built it"........ not "Yea, I bought it".
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

i am regreting not getting the sti i need the stiffer handleing and the way i drive would really help to have the 6 speed tranny and brembo brakes. Wrx is a beast but i can outdrive its ablilties on the streets. Ive logged about 15000 hard miles on the 2011 wrx and thats my opinion on the matter. The sti is better for aggressive driving but the wrx will hold its own in most cases. if i feel comfortable uptrading for a 2013 post sunami sti i will do so for the new body style. Basically comes down to how hard you drive. for a fast fun dd the wrx is a good choice very solid ride. for a very aggressive dd and track day junkie go for the sti. if you cost out what your paying extra for it adds up to about 8 grand. intercooler tranny and brembo brakes alone come close to 6 g's the other stuff adds up pretty close to the other 2 g's give or take 500 bucks. Well worth the money imo.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyblue View Post
    Would you mind describing the differences you felt between the 2011 WRX and STi? Does the STi feel faster.. or is a more buttoned down feeling? I imagine the power difference isn't as noticeable between the two cars.

I ask because I have a 2005 Legacy GT wagon manual. I love the powertrain.. but the suspension is pretty loosey goosey. I'm looking for the 2.5l turbo powertrain but the suspension/handling of my dearly departed 2003 RSX-S and I'm wondering if I need the STi for that. I have no intentions of ever being on a track though.
    Of course I'd love to test drive both but my local dealer only has in-transit WRXs. Thanks for your input!
    First let me say that the WRX is a great car and will provide a lot of fun and enjoyment. What I felt is that the STI is a more focused sports car with a tighter suspension and a notable boost in thrust.

The WRX kicks in and starts feeling strong around 3K RPMs where the STI starts strong and keeps pulling all the way. Remember this is stock to stock so once you start tuning then all bets are off.

If I bought the WRX I would want to tune it right away where the STI I feel I can leave it alone for a while (I Hope). I would be happy with either, but given the choice I will get the STI........Steve

BTW: I had an 06 RSX-S as my DD for my 05 NSX Toy and the RSX-S was such a sweet car, its too bad they stopped making them as I would never buy a Civic SI
    Last edited by F430; 10-03-2011 at 12:40 PM.
    Ferrari F430/BMW X5 M/Need a Hot hatch!!!!!

interesting thoughts... i'm going through the same thing now..either way i'm trading my evo 9 mr to come to the darkside..

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chefbabu View Post
    i am regreting not getting the sti i need the stiffer handleing and the way i drive would really help to have the 6 speed tranny and brembo brakes. Wrx is a beast but i can outdrive its ablilties on the streets. Ive logged about 15000 hard miles on the 2011 wrx and thats my opinion on the matter. The sti is better for aggressive driving but the wrx will hold its own in most cases. if i feel comfortable uptrading for a 2013 post sunami sti i will do so for the new body style. Basically comes down to how hard you drive. for a fast fun dd the wrx is a good choice very solid ride. for a very aggressive dd and track day junkie go for the sti. if you cost out what your paying extra for it adds up to about 8 grand. intercooler tranny and brembo brakes alone come close to 6 g's the other stuff adds up pretty close to the other 2 g's give or take 500 bucks. Well worth the money imo.
    And if you leave your STI stock you still have a warranty!!!! Unlike your $8K modded WRX (We don't need no stinking warranty ) ........Steve
    Ferrari F430/BMW X5 M/Need a Hot hatch!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    One question you may have not considered: Do you genuinely enjoy modifying cars? If so, I'd say get the WRX and use the money you saved for toys....My wife always says I have "new toys on the front porch." If you don't, get the STI, which comes ready to perform with much less modification needed. Like ninefourteener said, I prefer - "Yea, I built it"........ not "Yea, I bought it".
    So why can't you buy an STI and modify that and have the best of both worlds?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones
    Likely because a STI payment would spread them too thin, not leaving them disposable $ for mods

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I see what you did there .
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

czn
    ya the guy with the F430 is worried about STi payments.... now that would be funny. I just picked up a 2011 STi... test drove both as well and i feel the same way F430 does. i got them to knock off about 4K from the sticker price back in december because they were trying to get rid of their last 2011 STi on the lot. Trying to sell my RX-8...cant even look at it after driving the STi.
    -Dave
    2001 is300 Solar Yellow *RIP*
    2004 RX-8 Black
    2011 WRX STi - Cobb SF Stage 2

i found the WRX to be a superior daily driver with just as much thrust. That said if you can afford the STi, the brakes, trans, intake manifold, intercooler, and LSDs, DCCD are all very very nice upgrades from the factory. For me who never tracks the car, the WRX was much cheaper, has a comfy ride for DD'ing and still plenty of fun. Ive added an AP, exhaust, and remote start, snow wheels and tires. If you do those things your close to 40 grand on the STi, my setup is around 31... (got a great deal on a limited 5 door still in the wrapper)
    2011 SWP 5 door WRX LIMITED

no dealerships will let me test drive them. i've spoken to about 7 dealerships in my area and they are either shipped to orders, dont have them in stock, or "the deal has to be 90% final to let you have a test drive." god i hate people....

what is the main difference between the wrx and sti motors?

I Support ClubWRX
    Induction, fueling, mapping at this point.

If I were shopping I'd shop based on chassis, not motor. Either car has adequate power. The chassis differences, including braking, steering, suspension, and gearbox would make up my mind.

Don't buy a car you can't drive. If they don't have a car you can't buy one anyway, and if they are so scarce that you have to go blind, I'd be tempted to just walk away. There are plenty of great cars out there (it's getting harder to find a bad car these days) so consider finding one that exists, is available for a test drive, and doesn't put you in a compromised negotiating position.

They have to want your money more than they want the car. Find a dealer of that mindset, whether they sell Subarus or not.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzioblack44 View Post
    i found the WRX to be a superior daily driver with just as much thrust. That said if you can afford the STi, the brakes, trans, intake manifold, intercooler, and LSDs, DCCD are all very very nice upgrades from the factory. For me who never tracks the car, the WRX was much cheaper, has a comfy ride for DD'ing and still plenty of fun. Ive added an AP, exhaust, and remote start, snow wheels and tires. If you do those things your close to 40 grand on the STi, my setup is around 31... (got a great deal on a limited 5 door still in the wrapper)
    So I'm assuming you bought an auto tranny since you have remote start? Why would you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by 90crxfreak View Post
    no dealerships will let me test drive them. i've spoken to about 7 dealerships in my area and they are either shipped to orders, dont have them in stock, or "the deal has to be 90% final to let you have a test drive." god i hate people....
    How old are you? I had no trouble test driving the STI. I find it's usually due to someone's age and they say the 90% thing because lots of kids want to test drive them with no intent of ever purchasing one.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't really understand what "90% final" means. Either I've made a deal with someone..or I haven't made a deal with someone. Are they talking about a "verbal commitment" to buy the car?
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast