WRX vs. STI Purchase - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. STI Purchase within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Drive both cars. They drive completely differently so you'll probably know instantly which one you'd rather have. If price is ...

Drive both cars. They drive completely differently so you'll probably know instantly which one you'd rather have. If price is a concern you can always get a used STi instead of a new WRX.

Insurance on the Legacy was cheap, and it was invisible to cops too
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones
    It may have been the same "quoted" price, but that's because they quoted it wrong. If you actually gave them an STI VIN it would definitely come out higher. They are in very different insurance brackets...
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones
    I agree, things don't always make sense. An STI is a much higher risk vehicle and should always be higher than a WRX. I guess I have to question if your WRX quote was right or not if it was higher than the STI turned out to be.
    When the agent who did my policy got my VIN, he told me that in 20+ years of selling policies, he had never seen a rating as high as my car. This wasn't a company like Geico/Progressive/Allstate, but they have national ads for their company...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    When the agent who did my policy got my VIN, he told me that in 20+ years of selling policies, he had never seen a rating as high as my car. This wasn't a company like Geico/Progressive/Allstate, but they have national ads for their company...
    He must not sell insurance for many fast cars then. There's plenty of vehicles that are in the same 25 class of insurance as the STI (like my 911 Turbo). It's not that uncommon...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    He must not sell insurance for many fast cars then. There's plenty of vehicles that are in the same 25 class of insurance as the STI (like my 911 Turbo). It's not that uncommon...
    +1

Speaking of high insurance rates. Below is one reason why.

totaled
    Last edited by KHP; 09-19-2011 at 10:11 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

You think a high insurance tier is bad? Try none! Geico would not insure my brother's CL65 -- the car isn't even in their system. The same went for the other common companies. He called Amica and at first they couldn't quote it either but eventually sorted it out and he's now a happy customer. There's a reason they're ranked the best insurance co every year. The only drawback is they won't take anyone without a spotless driving history -- zero tickets required.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by John M
    He called Amica and at first they couldn't quote it either but eventually sorted it out and he's now a happy customer. There's a reason they're ranked the best insurance co every year. The only drawback is they won't take anyone without a spotless driving history -- zero tickets required.
    They quoted me $6K/year, which is 6X what I pay for Liberty Mutual

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
    Will you ever go to the track? If no, then get a WRX. If yes, you will want the STI. That IMO is the only question you need to ask yourself. I'm going to hit the track at some point and as I mod things, I just keep finding new weaknesses. Power and suspension I've fixed. But I don't think the brakes will hold up very well at all. So I agree with the above. Don't get a WRX and try to make it an STI. But if this is just a street soldier then the WRX is perfect.

So for me I got the WRX. The base's invoice price is like $24,500 so the savings vs the STI was significant. As I've modded my WRX I've often wondered if I wouldn't need to mod as much if I had gotten an STI. But I think I still would so the WRX was the better deal since I'm doing the same stuff I would with an STI.

The WRX is cheaper, lighter, and now basically looks like the STI so those things really sold me (as did the new gunmetal rims and bluetooth stereo with steering wheel controls). The WRX is an incredible buy IMO.
    YUP, If I would of squeezed my finances in order to get an STi, no doubt the same exact mods I did to my WRX, I would of done to the STi!!

I know myself and there is no way I would be thinking..."hmmm the STi drivetrain is a bit tighter than the WRX, so I guess I won't get the motor/tranny mounts" Yeah right!! I would end up getting them, plus the WL sways/KB endlinks, KB s/s, bushings, WL inserts, cobb accessport, yada, yada, yada..... and being that I wouldnt be able to afford all that, (with the price of an STi) I would 'pull strings' to get all of it anyway (yes, I know how stupid that would be, but were talking modding here and we all go nuts) and my wife would flip out and the arguing would never end..... (NO THANK YOU)
    Yes, my WRX will never be an STi, no crap Sherlock, but no doubt it can (in it's current modded state) beat a stock STi in more ways than one!!

Just got my 2011 STi and to give you an idea about insurance I got rid of my 2007 Ford Focus and when I called State Farm to get my new insurance the price went up $130 a YEAR, so thats $11 a month increase on a brand-new, 300hp car vs. my FWD 150hp Ford Focus.

Granted I am 30 years old and have zero tickets and no accidents in 7 years.

I obviously didn't ask what the price would be for a WRX but I'm guessing there would be a tiny difference. My agent told me that despite all the "doodads" on my car the fact that its AWD, has more airbags than the Focus and is rated higher in crash tests than the Focus are the biggest influences on price.

Now if I was 20 years old and have 4 speeding tickets...
    2011 Plasma Blue STi 5-door

I Support ClubWRX
    +state farm...

switched to them back when I was 18 and bought a yamaha R1.. I had farmers at the time and they wanted $1,000 a month to insure the bike alone... State farm was $73 on the R1 and saved me on my at the time BMW as well. Never looked back.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    I enjoy state farm as well.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    You think a high insurance tier is bad? Try none! Geico would not insure my brother's CL65 -- the car isn't even in their system. The same went for the other common companies. He called Amica and at first they couldn't quote it either but eventually sorted it out and he's now a happy customer. There's a reason they're ranked the best insurance co every year. The only drawback is they won't take anyone without a spotless driving history -- zero tickets required.
    I had a similar problem when I bought my G550. Most insurers didn't have the car in their systems.

I'm down to 7 tickets on my record now from 9 my last policy term. My insurance dropped by 1/3. I think I'm also getting a loyalty discount though since I just passed my first year with the company. At least they insured me. Try getting insurance with 9 tickets on your record in 3 years. Not easy!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I'm down to 7 tickets on my record now from 9 my last policy term. My insurance dropped by 1/3. I think I'm also getting a loyalty discount though since I just passed my first year with the company. At least they insured me. Try getting insurance with 9 tickets on your record in 3 years. Not easy!
    Holy bajeezus...thats a lot of ticket!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Just got off the phone with a Travelers agent, completely shocked

Keep in mind I drive a 2009 Cobalt SS 2 door (car stickered 24k), and my wife has an 08 Altima 2.5SL (24k)

2011 STi Hatch vs the cobalt : STi (37k sticker) would be 23 dollars less for 6 months
    2011 F150 EcoBoost Crew cab FX4 vs Cobalt : FX4 SCREW would be 50 dollars less than the Cobalt!!!
    Agent said it has to do with crash test ratings, and demographic tendancies than MSRP

Hell a junk yard STi trans braking system costs more than my entire used cobalt value.... go figure.... guess im buyin an STi
    2011 SWP 5 door WRX LIMITED

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Drive both cars. They drive completely differently so you'll probably know instantly which one you'd rather have. If price is a concern you can always get a used STi instead of a new WRX.

Insurance on the Legacy was cheap, and it was invisible to cops too
    Just got back from the dealer and drove both the WRX and the STI. For me the difference is very notable(instantly) all around and I will spend the extra money for the STI. They are both great cars, the STI just takes it up a few notches.......Steve
    Ferrari F430/BMW X5 M/Need a Hot hatch!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by F430 View Post
    Just got back from the dealer and drove both the WRX and the STI. For me the difference is very notable(instantly) all around and I will spend the extra money for the STI. They are both great cars, the STI just takes it up a few notches.......Steve
    This is pretty much exactly how I felt when I got mine, Drove both, and honestly just felt STi suited the experience I desired better!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast