Cobalt SS/Impala SS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Cobalt SS/Impala SS within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The other day I was driving to pick up dinner for the family. My house is pretty close to a ...

Cobalt SS/Impala SS

The other day I was driving to pick up dinner for the family. My house is pretty close to a community college so this isn't the first time this has happened.

As I pull onto the main road leading to the college a silver Cobalt SS (with some racing stripes) pulls behind me and then into the lane next to me. He revs it up and takes off.

10 years ago I would have hit the gas and roasted this turd, but at this point in my life I just feel sorry for these people. This car had no mods and is obviously slower than a 2010 WRX. Do some of these kids just not realize it? That'd be like me pulling up to a new Corvette and reving it up. DUMB.

Anyways, this got me kind of pissed because the Cobalt almost hit a car in front of us trying to squeeze ahead of me. On my way home (with a pizza in the car) I was getting on the interstate and an Impala SS was riding my ass. I could tell he was going to try and scoot to the far left lane as soon as he had the chance. I'd basically had enough of these idiots and took the left lane before he could just to piss him off. Got ahead a little bit, hit the speed limit quickly then moved back in to the right lane. He passed me and put his hands in the air like he won @ Talladega.

I love my WRX, but seriously wish idiots would stop trying to race me (especially in town on roads children may be present with 25-35mph speed limits). The worst part is, they think they win when the other person isn't even racing, which makes them keep doing it. I'm all for open road speed, but come on people, you don't have to be so dumb about it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yeah, it will never end. Get used to it! Ha!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    I had this problem in my yellow Subaru.. The fix was a sneaky Pete nitrous bottle filled with CO2 and a purge line that was placed out of my hood scoop and clearly visible to the other driver trying to rev at me.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jlinnell98 View Post
    Do some of these kids just not realize it?
    That is the key, and the answer is yes. The vast majority of people out there really have no idea how cars stack up in terms of performance. Many see a car like ours and figure its an easy mark. Other than real car people, most have no idea how much performance the WRX has. I like to call them ... "easy marks".

PS - Kudos on not taking the bait and having your pizza end up with all the hot cheese smashed onto one side!
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    In one trip you got as many people as who try to race me in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    In one trip you got as many people as who try to race me in a year.
    That's what I get for building a house a few blocks from a community college. When the Cobalt driver moves out in a year, 3 more will move in.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    My car attracts too much attention...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    10 years ago I would have hit the gas and roasted this turd, but at this point in my life I just feel sorry for these people. This car had no mods and is obviously slower than a 2010 WRX. Do some of these kids just not realize it? That'd be like me pulling up to a new Corvette and reving it up. DUMB.
    With respect, it would be interesting for you to test your assumptions at a track. Road and Track did a comparo a while back comparing the 2009 WRX and Cobalt SS; quarter mile times were within a tenth, with the SS trapping 3mph faster. On the autocross course, the WRX edged it out by a tenth. Pretty good for a car that's $5000 less and FWD.

Actually, it would be interesting for us to meet at the track. You would see my stock exhaust tips and assume that I have no mods.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post

Actually, it would be interesting for us to meet at the track. You would see my stock exhaust tips and assume that I have no mods.
    And then you would open up that can of whupass.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

I Support ClubWRX
    It pulls respectably.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Assuming the 18 year old kid could drive (and not spin the front tires like crazy) I still woudn't be too worried. Unless my eyes deceived me it said SS supercharged on the side of the car. I'm pretty sure the earlier models were supercharged and had far worse performance. To my point though, even if he was rolling in a C6 Vette, there's a time and place, and a busy street w/35mph speed limit is not it.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Assuming the 18 year old kid could drive (and not spin the front tires like crazy) I still woudn't be too worried. Unless my eyes deceived me it said SS supercharged on the side of the car. I'm pretty sure the earlier models were supercharged and had far worse performance. To my point though, even if he was rolling in a C6 Vette, there's a time and place, and a busy street w/35mph speed limit is not it.
    Even the stock supercharged SS could trap just under a 100 mph in the quarter. Besides, a supercharger pulley, fuel system upgrade, and good set of rubbers could garner some pretty decent gains on those Cobalts.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Hence my references to the track....and honestly, if your focus is on public safety, you probably shouldn't play the "piss off the guy trying to get in the left lane" game like you did with the Impala, right?
    I posted up because you called the kid's car a slow turd. It seems a little out of line when our cars are also just accessorized econo-boxes.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Cobalt SS....This car had no mods and is obviously slower than a 2010 WRX. Do some of these kids just not realize it? That'd be like me pulling up to a new Corvette and reving it up. DUMB.
    Wow! Rayfield broke it down for your regarding what the magazines say. I would venture to guess that a highway pull (not that I condone that sort of thing) would have put you in your place. An econo box pulling up to another econo box is no where close to you reving at a Corvette. Get some perspective man. You drive a WRX, not a Twin Turbo Supra.

Before I bought me bugeye wagon last April I was looking at a 2009 Cobalt SS sedan which is the turbocharged version. It was one of the last available as it was April of 2010. One of the dealerships I was at really wanted me to take a black one off their hands so they let me take it home for a night and return it late the next day. I put about 150 miles on it and can say the thing has some serious pull. And it feels very confident on the edge around corners. They tuned the suspension at Nurburgring and it shows.

Not sure if all of them do but the one I drove had a "power shift" feature for drag racing - Mash the gas and don't let up as you pull through the gears pounding the clutch pedal down. That's how I busted the trans in my '68 Cougar so I was reluctant to try it but the sales guy wouldn't let me get out of the car until I did a full launch and shifted second and third.

I haven't driven a newer WRX or STi but I can say once the turbo spooled on the SS (which is much faster than my bugeye) it felt about as fast as an '04 STi I test drove.

I agree with Ray...take it to the track and let the drving skills do the talking
    Last edited by 2002SubieWRX; 08-02-2011 at 04:47 PM.
    - 2013 BRZ Limited, WRB, manual
    - 2002 WRX WRB Sport Wagon (Stage 1) SOLD
    - 1968 Mercury Cougar w/ custom 331ci stroker & 5-spd
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4
    ~Best 1/4 mi Trap Speed: 109mph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast