Cobalt SS/Impala SS - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Cobalt SS/Impala SS within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Those supercharged SS's would surprise you. I had an ION Redline (same car as the SS) a few years ago, ...

Those supercharged SS's would surprise you. I had an ION Redline (same car as the SS) a few years ago, and with about a grand in performance parts I could beat mild WRXs all day at Bandimere. My best was a 13.9@103 at about 6000' altitude.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DKDunn04 View Post
    Those supercharged SS's would surprise you. I had an ION Redline (same car as the SS) a few years ago, and with about a grand in performance parts I could beat mild WRXs all day at Bandimere. My best was a 13.9@103 at about 6000' altitude.
    That's a great ET and MPH for that elevation and a high trap speed for that ET! That little Ion must have pulled good once it got traction and full boost.

Check out the video in my signature. It's my buddy filming my 13.00 in my 1968 Cougar. I trapped at 106mph on that run. It was the first run on the car with a new stroker motor and I wasn't sure how fast I'd run so I wasn't wearing a helmet. After breaking into the 13s they made me find one so I borrowed one from a guy driving an Ion Redline who was running high 14s so he didn't need it. Ha ha. That was at Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA elevation 150ft above sea level.
    - 2013 BRZ Limited, WRB, manual
    - 2002 WRX WRB Sport Wagon (Stage 1) SOLD
    - 1968 Mercury Cougar w/ custom 331ci stroker & 5-spd
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4
    ~Best 1/4 mi Trap Speed: 109mph

The hardest part was getting traction. It had an engine torque damper, poly trans and engine mounts, and traction bars which pretty much locked the lower A-arms to the unibody. Even with all that it still had wheel hop.

Quote Originally Posted by DKDunn04 View Post
    The hardest part was getting traction. It had an engine torque damper, poly trans and engine mounts, and traction bars which pretty much locked the lower A-arms to the unibody. Even with all that it still had wheel hop.
    FWD cars aren't designed for off the line acceleration. Can't put power to the ground if the weight wants to shift to the back wheels. I love launching my Cougar. It sticks with the slicks and roasts them with the street tires
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002SubieWRX View Post
    FWD cars aren't designed for off the line acceleration. Can't put power to the ground if the weight wants to shift to the back wheels. I love launching my Cougar. It sticks with the slicks and roasts them with the street tires
    Not if you launch in reverse!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Not if you launch in reverse!
    Ha ha. Then pull a reverse e-brake 180.

I tried one of those (not a reverse launch) in a 1994 Altima 5spd I used to drive in high school. It's not as easy as it looks in the movies or the video games. ha ha
    Last edited by 2002SubieWRX; 05-19-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hence my references to the track....and honestly, if your focus is on public safety, you probably shouldn't play the "piss off the guy trying to get in the left lane" game like you did with the Impala, right?
    I posted up because you called the kid's car a slow turd. It seems a little out of line when our cars are also just accessorized econo-boxes.
    Touche. I think pulling into the left lane of the interstate and punching it until getting up to the speed limit is slightly different than going 60 in a 35 swerving from lane to lane, but I can understand why you were confused.

1/4 mile Cobalt is 14.4 (professional driver at the wheel). 10 WRX with an average driver should do high 13's IMO. To each his own. College kids just piss me off, next time I'll rant to myself in the corner so I don't get you all worked up

I Support ClubWRX
    I know, right? I'm teh rav1ng lun4tic!!!
    It's a discussion forum; don't be too sensitive to disagreement.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

ones driving capabilities can throw any 1/4 mile time out the window

oh, and to go with people calling out our cars on public streets. It's the big wing and hood scoop you have mine is wingless and de-badged i don't get messed with to often. along with that just tint and black wheels. however, where i live, if i put one sticker on a side window or one CF part on my car, I'd never be left alone.
    2007 Satin White Pearl WRX TR
    1983 Audi GT Coupe Sold
    They call me Sunshine
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/photog...ng-thread.html
    "big, healthy, husky, fluffy, DAYYUM, oh hell no"

Don't be so quick to knock the Cobalt SS's. I understand this example was probly driven by someone with a shallow gene pool, but even the supercharged ones can be made quick. Just a stage 2 kit from GM will have them be about as fast as a turbo one which will walk a wrx (not STI) of any year from a roll. As for the Turbo ones like mine once you put a catless downpipe and a good tune on them they will run away from a stock STI... just trying to spread info. Most of my friends have wrxs and they never believe me until we race.

Quote Originally Posted by jlinnell98 View Post
    The other day I was driving to pick up dinner for the family. My house is pretty close to a community college so this isn't the first time this has happened.

As I pull onto the main road leading to the college a silver Cobalt SS (with some racing stripes) pulls behind me and then into the lane next to me. He revs it up and takes off.

10 years ago I would have hit the gas and roasted this turd, but at this point in my life I just feel sorry for these people. This car had no mods and is obviously slower than a 2010 WRX. Do some of these kids just not realize it? That'd be like me pulling up to a new Corvette and reving it up. DUMB.

Anyways, this got me kind of pissed because the Cobalt almost hit a car in front of us trying to squeeze ahead of me. On my way home (with a pizza in the car) I was getting on the interstate and an Impala SS was riding my ass. I could tell he was going to try and scoot to the far left lane as soon as he had the chance. I'd basically had enough of these idiots and took the left lane before he could just to piss him off. Got ahead a little bit, hit the speed limit quickly then moved back in to the right lane. He passed me and put his hands in the air like he won @ Talladega.

I love my WRX, but seriously wish idiots would stop trying to race me (especially in town on roads children may be present with 25-35mph speed limits). The worst part is, they think they win when the other person isn't even racing, which makes them keep doing it. I'm all for open road speed, but come on people, you don't have to be so dumb about it!

Honestly the SS are no joke. I would have got one over a suby if it wasn't fwd. On a roll I think the a turbo SS will pull on a wrx a supercharged one not as bad but still pull on the wrx. An SS is a good option for affordable speed and performance ( if you don't mind the fwd, eco interior, and it being a Cobalt lol) I personally like them but you just can't compare to the awd and that boxer grumble!!

Don't take it personally man its nothing against you just discussing bro!

Everybody has there own opinion. Im not getting upset. I know the interior isn't great mainly the cheap plastic dash and the damn ebrake... it honselty looks like fisher price made it lol but besides that it has nice supportive seats, a leather steering wheel (from the zr1 lol) bluetooth, an ipod hookup with good pioneer system so im happy. And around a track it really amazes me. I mean I Autocross the thing alot and its right on par with all the stis ive seen out there, I go back and forth beating and losing to this one awesome 07 STI who has full boltons and a good amount of suspension work.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEBLUR View Post
    Honestly the SS are no joke. I would have got one over a suby if it wasn't fwd. On a roll I think the a turbo SS will pull on a wrx a supercharged one not as bad but still pull on the wrx. An SS is a good option for affordable speed and performance ( if you don't mind the fwd, eco interior, and it being a Cobalt lol) I personally like them but you just can't compare to the awd and that boxer grumble!!

Don't take it personally man its nothing against you just discussing bro!

Oh i didn't direct to you i meant toward the OP but yes I agree its a nice car that can be made to be just as good as if not better then a wrx and an Sti like you said. Its a cool car man and any car can beat any car in the hands of a good driver!! lol

these types of pepole make me embarrassed to drive a cobalt... I guess this is what you get when you have a cheap thrills car...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12