I test drove a Shelby GT500 and 2011 STi.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on I test drove a Shelby GT500 and 2011 STi..... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ever so often. I go out and test drive vehicles and write reviews about them. Heres some reviews. -Ford Shelby ...

I test drove a Shelby GT500 and 2011 STi.....

Ever so often. I go out and test drive vehicles and write reviews about them. Heres some reviews.

-Ford Shelby GT500
    The GT500 has a Supercharged 5.4L V8 Producing 500 HP and 480 ft-lbs of Torque. It is mated to a Tremec 6-speed manual transmission. To date, this is the most powerful factory vehicle that I have driven. The closest I got before this was the 430 HP 2010 Chevy Corvette. When I sat in it, I instantly noticed that the windshield "Brow" impeded a decent amount of my field of vision. This was true for the rest of the car, It was pretty darn hard to see out of it. Interior was black with a few silver panels decorating various spots, along with a "Caroll Shelby" Signature on the center dash panel (not sure if he physically signs it or it is a copy and paste deal). The clutch was actually a little different then what I am typically used to. In this case, It feels like the clutch wouldnt even engage until the final 15% of the pedal travel. This took some getting used too, and didnt have much time to truely have a feel for it. I took the car to the track and floored it. Instantly, that rear end just kicks out and traction control feels almost useless, took quite a bit of throttle control/steering just to keep it straight. Every time i shifted that rear just kicks out like a pissed off donky... on steroids. That was my first run. I swing around for a second run, this time with a slight rolling start and floor it again. Just like before, that huge ass just throws itself out and traction control feels useless on this vehicle. The car brakes well (needs too, that much weight and power). That second run concluded my strightline performance of it. Unfortunatley, I do not have the opportunity to review its handling. So, with my around 15 minutes in the vehicle i have come down to this. WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD DRIVE THIS ON CITY STREETS. This thing was quite a handful to handle just going in a straight line. I once said that the NEw 5.0L Mustang GT was not for the inexperienced and faint of heart. I would have to say the GT500 isnt even for the Experienced and Steel Guts. In order to handle this monster, you may need Titanium Guts and Track Gained Experience. This thing can be fun in a straight line if it grips better, however, I kind of doubt that it will handle terribly well due to its weight and power. Also, visibility out of this particular model is poor, and that is extremely important in everyday driving and racing. I actually liked the 5.0L GT Mustangs better. So, it gets an 7.5 out of 10.

-2011 Subaru WRX STi (sedan)
    This STi Sports the 2.5L Turbocharged Boxer-4 Cylinder Engine Producing 305 HP and 290 ft-lbs of torque. It is mated to Subaru 6-speed manual transmission. When I first sat in this car, I felt alot more comfortable in it then the GT500. The field of vision was excellent and the car felt a bit more comfortable in general. The first thing i knoticed was the return of the Infamous Ginormous Rear Trunk Spoiler. Well, I am not a fan of these, so I ignored it for the most part. Otherwise, i thought it looked pretty good with the new facelift. Started the car up and it gave the nice subtle boxer rumble. As i was driving to the track it felt easier to drive and even a better feel for the car. The Clutch was more in tune with what im used too as well. I took it on the track and floored it. Like most Turbo vehicles, the inital launch felt sluggish, but the second I began to hit boost, the car rocketed forward. Quickly, I shifted into 2nd gear, and saw that I actually spun the tires (traction control came on very briefly). I then Shifted into third and was nearing next shift when I ran out road before i needed to brake. I swung around agian for my second run. Did the same launch setup and the same manners re-appeared as the first time. I like this car quite a bit, it was easy to drive, relatively lightweight and quick. Handling is probably very good as well. This car had very good manners, but will unleash the beast from the cage when it is provoked. I was even complimented that I looked more natural driving this car then any others that I have been seen in. I liked this car alot, no doubt that this could be a very nice daily driver and weekend warrior combined. Other then a few issues like that massive spoiler, I really cant find anything wrong with this vehicle. So, this car gets a 9 out of 10 from me.
    2006 Subaru WRX TR (Weekend Warrior)
    1993 Ford F250 Diesel (Daily Work Commuter)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #9455
    My WRX Mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Plus the STI is a hell of a lot cheaper.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Registered User CorrPerformance's Avatar
    Oh yeah and insuring a STI would be a whole lot less expensive than the other ride.
    Alberto I Correa, Jr.
    EFI 101 Graduate 7-16-05
    AEM EMS factory trained
    Seguimos afinando, vendiendo y jodiendo....Entonces?

You're biased...you have a Subaru and are on a Subaru forum.

(me too...I have a strong dislike for Mustangs)

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    You're biased...you have a Subaru and are on a Subaru forum.

(me too...I have a strong dislike for Mustangs)
    And proud of it.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Quote Originally Posted by WillieRX View Post
    Ever so often. I go out and test drive vehicles and write reviews about them. Heres some reviews.

-Ford Shelby GT500
    WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD DRIVE THIS ON CITY STREETS
    they are not city cars, probably if someone owned one gt500 will be his weekend car, for long trips. they are great on high speeds, still have more power after 6th gear..totally different breed of cars to compare.

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    The real answer to this comparison... will be to put them on the track.

Dear Ford.... If you are going to build an ultra-high horsepower car, why do you continue to use suspension technology from the 1970s? I just spent $70k on a car that can't corner it's way out of a paper bag.

Mustangs are the biggest jokes at the track. You should have seen this yuppy a-hole a few moths ago at the track with his $70k Super snake....... got his ass handed to him by bone stock FWD cars with 1/5th the horsepower. Teenagers with virtually no seat time on the track were getting better lap times than him.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

What year GT500 was it? The 2010 has 540hp. The 2011's have 550hp and are about 100lbs lighter and supposedly handle alot better than the previous years. The years before 2010 were 500hp.
    2012 Black WRX Premium
    2003 wrb WRX - Cobb Stage 2

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    ^^^ I honestly don't know... it was "maybe" a year ago. Beautiful car... looks like he drove it from the showroom floor to the track.

Haven't seen him since. I think he was embarrassed.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=165158
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    looks like he drove it from the showroom floor to the track.
    lol, maybe it was the OP

...Mustangs are the biggest jokes at the track....
    are they? i think the ford mustangs are catching up.

Lightning Lap 2011: LL1 Class - Feature - Car and Driver

Hey Willie, I need to get a hold of you about the American Dreams Carnival tickets in increments of four. You said to contact you directly but I don't have your email. Thanks in advance. Lou in Colorado (divrlou@yahoo.com)

Registered User Erikjenkins11876's Avatar

Dear Ford.... If you are going to build an ultra-high horsepower car, why do you continue to use suspension technology from the 1970s? I just spent $70k on a car that can't corner it's way out of a paper bag.

Mustangs are the biggest jokes at the track. You should have seen this yuppy a-hole a few moths ago at the track with his $70k Super snake....... got his ass handed to him by bone stock FWD cars with 1/5th the horsepower. Teenagers with virtually no seat time on the track were getting better lap times than him.
    Uhhhh, go look at the specs for 2011 GT, it out handles the STi in every catagory, albeit not by much, sorry you fail!!!

Mustang:TEST DATA
    Acceleration to mph
    0-30 1.6 sec
    0-40 2.5
    0-50 3.3
    0-60 4.3
    0-70 5.5
    0-80 6.9
    0-90 8.5
    0-100 10.3
    Passing, 45-65 mph 2.1
    Quarter mile 12.8 sec @ 110.8 mph
    Braking, 60-0 mph 105 ft
    Lateral acceleration 0.94 g (avg)
    MT figure eight 25.3 sec @ 0.75 g (avg)
    Top-gear revs @ 60 mph 1900 rpm

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1SSjndRPk

STi

2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Sedan
    Base price $34,720
    Price as Tested $36,520
    Drivetrain Front-engine, AWD, 5-pass, 4-door sedan
    Engine 2.5L/305-hp/290-lb-ft turbocharged DOHC 16-valve flat-4
    Transmission 6-speed manual
    Curb weight (f/r dist) 3362 lb (58/42%)
    Length x width x height 180.3 x 70.7 x 57.9 in
    0-60 mph 5.0 sec
    Quarter mile 13.8 sec @ 97.6 mph
    Braking, 60-0 mph 113 ft
    Lateral Acceleration 0.93 g (avg)
    MT Figure Eight 25.5 sec @ 0.73 g (avg)
    EPA city/hwy fuel econ 17/23 mpg
    CO2 emissions 1.01 lb/mile

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1SSjyEo7Y
    Last edited by Erikjenkins11876; 07-18-2011 at 06:18 AM.

The GT500 is an interesting car. We have quite a few out at work, and have beaten the death out of them. The first thing you must know that you MUST run the F1 Supercar tires on them. PERIOD!!!! There is no other options. When you do, you have all the traction you need on a semi clean road.
    You are correct, the brakes are good - and you are welcome for that.
    But wait, oh, just wait. I can't say too much, but the 2014 is going to be something special. We have just recieved word down the pipe, and will be arriving a new prototype in a few months. The two piece drilled front rotors that will be standard on the 2012's and most likely 13's, will be a thing of the past, and the peak MPH that they are requesting ISO certs for on the braking package is absolutley ASTOUNDING!! Get ready. Like we are saying out at work; "About time there is a huge difference between the performance of the GT and the Shelby for the $$"

Now, please bring your big, bad, FWD with 1/5th the horsepower and we will take it on your choice of the steering and handling tracks out at work against one of the slouch 2012 Shelbys that are darn near dead. If you can be within 4 seconds of my time on any of five laps, I will give you a month of my salary.

Registered User Erikjenkins11876's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    The GT500 is an interesting car. We have quite a few out at work, and have beaten the death out of them. The first thing you must know that you MUST run the F1 Supercar tires on them. PERIOD!!!! There is no other options. When you do, you have all the traction you need on a semi clean road.
    You are correct, the brakes are good - and you are welcome for that.
    But wait, oh, just wait. I can't say too much, but the 2014 is going to be something special. We have just recieved word down the pipe, and will be arriving a new prototype in a few months. The two piece drilled front rotors that will be standard on the 2012's and most likely 13's, will be a thing of the past, and the peak MPH that they are requesting ISO certs for on the braking package is absolutley ASTOUNDING!! Get ready. Like we are saying out at work; "About time there is a huge difference between the performance of the GT and the Shelby for the $$"

Now, please bring your big, bad, FWD with 1/5th the horsepower and we will take it on your choice of the steering and handling tracks out at work against one of the slouch 2012 Shelbys that are darn near dead. If you can be within 4 seconds of my time on any of five laps, I will give you a month of my salary.
    Yeah the new Shelby's dollar for dollar are the best performer one can buy, a far cry from the 2005-2009 versions that were entirely too nose heavy. That engine has gobs of power and can take even more boost if one desires.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast