2011 WRX vs 2011 MazdaSpeed 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX vs 2011 MazdaSpeed 3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just got my 2011 wrx at the ending of last year december. My friend just got his 2011 MS3 ...

2011 WRX vs 2011 MazdaSpeed 3

I just got my 2011 wrx at the ending of last year december. My friend just got his 2011 MS3 just recently and he's been real cocky about wanting to race me. I know both of these two cars are a great match up but im not the type of guy to show off. Any info between these two cars by performance? or had experience with these two? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've owned both. Well, 2011 WRX and 2010 MS3, but I don't believe there were any changes in the Mazda for 2011.

The WRX is much quicker off the line and through 2nd. But when the Mazda hits full boost in 3rd, watch out.
    The MS3 pulls very strong in gears 3-5.

I'm sure any track test numbers you find online will back that up.

I think Car and Driver or Motortrend may have done a track comparison on the two. I know there is one of the magazines that does a track run every year of different cars from the different classes. If I recall the Speed3 might have been a second faster around the course. I think any race would really just come down to the drivers more than the cars.

By the time you hit 3rd gear, you should be winning the race by several car lenghts. I can't comment on the 3rd - 5th gear pull on the Mazda speed because I have never owned one but on a quarter mile, it could end up close at the end on a straight away..

All on the driver here.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky99 View Post
    I've owned both. Well, 2011 WRX and 2010 MS3, but I don't believe there were any changes in the Mazda for 2011.

The WRX is much quicker off the line and through 2nd. But when the Mazda hits full boost in 3rd, watch out.
    The MS3 pulls very strong in gears 3-5.

I'm sure any track test numbers you find online will back that up.

sounds good, are you driving the wrx? have you done anything to it so far?

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by clarky99 View Post
    I've owned both.
    How do you like the MS3 compared to the WRX? I'll be in the market soon for something new and a MS3 (new gen) is definitely not out of the question...

I've read several threads over this topic, everyone has there own opinions (mostly bias...). Interested to hear what you think.
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    The MS3 ECU does not allow full boost in 1st and 2nd so as to reduce torque steer - that's why it feels like it comes on so hard in 3rd. Torque steer is a real issue with them if you find yourself wanting off the line performance, but once you are at speed they are easily very competitive with the WRX.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

personally not a fan of the MS3. Don't like the looks AT ALL and it's FWD. just my $0.02.
    2011 WRX Base Hatch in Obsidian Black Pearl
    Stink-Eye Mob #027
    My Car
    - Mike

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nyr8er View Post
    personally not a fan of the MS3. Don't like the looks AT ALL and it's FWD. just my $0.02.
    AWD is all I have known for my driving career. I love it, don't get me wrong, but I am open to trying out other setups. I had the chance to drive a new 5.0 a few weeks ago, that was an experience! Don't know if that's something I would want as a DD. The torque on that thing was a handful, this being the first real RWD car I have driven. I'm curious to see how FWD + torque/torque steer feels... From what I have read about the MS3, this is the biggest (and pretty much only) complaint concerning performance.
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nyr8er View Post
    I love how the original looked. The current one is fugly.

^ This

Wants to make himself feel better about the gay-ass looks of his car by possibly beating you in a race. At the end of the day his car is still a FWD with a smiley face on it. Oh yeah tell him youll only race him off road lol.

Ask him if the 2 grand he saved was worth the humiliation, and probably more so now the buyers regret hell have to endure now because of his cars looks.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's easy to get caught up in the "us vs. them" mentality...it's actually possible for both the wrx AND the ms3 to be decent cars.

It's not my first choice for aesthetics, either, but the MS3 is a fine car. Its great roll-on acceleration and arguably better interior could make it a better choice for someone who's looking for a fun 2wd commuter.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

don't get me wrong, performance wise i'm sure it's still fun to drive. i've had plenty of FWD cars so i can't complain too much. before i bought my WRX the 08 TL-S was my dream for a while. but after driving a few and feeling any power over the 200-240hp range (271 for the TL) it's too much power for FWD. torque steer like a bastard. for me, if you getting that much power, plant it on at least the rear but preferably AWD!
    2011 WRX Base Hatch in Obsidian Black Pearl
    Stink-Eye Mob #027
    My Car
    - Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.