2011 wrx vs 2011 135i - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on 2011 wrx vs 2011 135i within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by SPT2011 Yea, on paper the 135i and the wrx/sti are identical 0-60 and quarter mile times. But ...

Quote Originally Posted by SPT2011 View Post
    Yea, on paper the 135i and the wrx/sti are identical 0-60 and quarter mile times. But really the sti or wrx will pull harder then the 135i (personally tested it my buddy owns a 135i). The 2011 135i is also BMW's fastest model compared to the older 135 and 335 models cuz of its single turbo with twin scroll.
    What is a twin scroll? How does it benefit, how is it different, and what are the disadvantages. I ate a 135i... but I also have an almost Stage 3 WRX... with almost 400awhp... lol it was fun though cause he thought he was billy bad ass in his beamer

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Twin scroll is no turbo lag at all. Throughout entire rpm is steady compared to ours that kicks in at 4 grand or w/e. No disadvantages... If it wasent so expensive I guarantee most of us wrx and sti owners would own the 135i...
    11WRX Ltd - COBB Stage 2+AEM HWG 93 Octane
    COBB Downpipe - SPT Exhaust - AEM Intake
    Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT - JL Audio W6v2 & XD600/1

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SPT2011
    Twin scroll is no turbo lag at all. Throughout entire rpm is steady compared to ours that kicks in at 4 grand or w/e. No disadvantages... If it wasent so expensive I guarantee most of us wrx and sti owners would own the 135i...
    Twin scroll does not necessarily imply no turbo lag. There are plenty of TS kits for Subarus that don't see full spool until 5K+

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SPT2011 View Post
    False.

There was a good thread around here that turned into a twin scroll information session. I don't remember it off of the top of my head.

Twin scroll's are more efficient generally speaking. This does not infer anything about their size relative (or 'spool' speed).

You may be thinking of a centrifugal supercharger, where the output is linear from the getgo... However, even though the output is linear, you actually will get a much slower 'spool' than a turbo or other forms of supercharging.

All forms of 'boost' have disadvantages, however, one way or another. The largest downside off hand of the twin scroll is the specific design requirements of the headers. Without headers designed specifically for twin scroll use, you'll lose most if not all of the advantages of the 'twin' scroll.

On the BMW note, normally if you saw a car worth 60k, and somebody was giving it away for 40k... It most certainly would sway some buyers. Tends to happen. At the same time, if a WRX or STi was sold for the price of a Honda SI, I am sure many SI owners would be swayed as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    without twin scroll headers... your up pipe wont fit the twin scroll turbine outlet. Period. End of story.

Twin scroll turbos do spool faster... but they still do have lag. They're more efficient at putting that exhaust gas to use. Since our cars have exhaust "pulses" (that's why they have the boxer "rumble") there is some exhaust fighting (turbulence) in the R Manifold where the crosspipe connects. This disrupts some of the linearity of the exhaust, and creates additional un-needed back pressure. The twin scroll design eliminates this, and allows the alternating "pulses" to push the turbine wheel constantly. This creates better spool characteristics. It's a lot more complex than that... but that's just a little overview of why it spools better.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Ah very cool... I love to learn that kind of stuff, How much power are they putting to the wheels from the factory?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    without twin scroll headers... your up pipe wont fit the twin scroll turbine outlet. Period. End of story.

Twin scroll turbos do spool faster... but they still do have lag. They're more efficient at putting that exhaust gas to use. Since our cars have exhaust "pulses" (that's why they have the boxer "rumble") there is some exhaust fighting (turbulence) in the R Manifold where the crosspipe connects. This disrupts some of the linearity of the exhaust, and creates additional un-needed back pressure. The twin scroll design eliminates this, and allows the alternating "pulses" to push the turbine wheel constantly. This creates better spool characteristics. It's a lot more complex than that... but that's just a little overview of why it spools better.
    again, as noted above, "twin scroll" has nothing to do with spooling faster. it has more to do with efficiency of exhaust gas management. that's why the single turbo twin scroll 2011 135i can achieve the same hp/torque numbers as the previous twin-turbo motor that was in the 2010 135i while being more efficient, relatively speaking.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.