2011 WRX vs. 2011 Legacy GT why does the GT feel so much slower
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX vs. 2011 Legacy GT why does the GT feel so much slower within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have been cross shopping the 2011 Legacy GT vs. the 2011 WRX, which has been very difficult because there ...

2011 WRX vs. 2011 Legacy GT why does the GT feel so much slower

I have been cross shopping the 2011 Legacy GT vs. the 2011 WRX, which has been very difficult because there have not been any in the sate to test drive. This week i had the opertunity to tewst drive both back to back. Honestly I thought the LGT was fairly slow compared to the WRX. You would think since it has the same motor as the WRX and the STi transmission that it would be faster than what it felt. The power was definitely more linier, but there was no kick in the ass like in the WRX.

So here is the question. I know tha car weighs 236 pounds more but, with the same motor and the six speed shouldnt it feel about the same? Can you use the same access port to change the mapping to feel more lively in the GT. Whats the deal?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yea I drove a Spec B before and there was zero kick, good power, but zero kick... Seems odd I agree.
    - 2011 Subaru STI Limited in WRB -

I Support ClubWRX
    I wanted a spec b sooo bad for a while there....
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

All fairness aside, it is a bigger, heavier sedan. The transmission is not the STI transmission...it's an entirely different 6 speed with different gearing so I'm sure that takes away from it as well.

I too was searching for Spec Bs...but I'm very partial to the 2007s that look a little more raw...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I too was searching for Spec Bs...but I'm very partial to the 2007s that look a little more raw...
    Same. 2007 was the year I wanted. IIRC the Spec B had the drive mode selector like in the STi (I,S,S#)

via Tapatalk

The current LGT is just a lot more car to drag around. The 05-09 variety had plenty of potential, thought he 2010+ are starting to get more parts available and are reflashable right now.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

I think it also probably has something to do with what the target market of the car wants. My dad has a 07 Outback 2.5xt and while it has good power and a pretty decent kick when the turbo hits... it definitely doesn't feel as fast as my 03 WRX. It has an effortless feeling under acceleration, but not the RAWR! feeling of the WRX.

But that's what he's looking for... a more refined car that still has the power to effortlessly pass someone on the mountainous two lane highways around where we live. Seems like the same thing could be going on with the new LGT.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'd be surprised if the tune was different to give the LGT a smoother acceleration. The 06 I just picked up has a lot of kick to it but with the heavier car, noise deadening, and softer suspension it's miles and miles ahead of my WRX when it comes to having a refined "grown up" feeling. The leather and butt warmers aren't too bad either. When it goes stage 2 I'll definately have a better gauge of what that car can do.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    I'd be surprised if the tune was different to give the LGT a smoother acceleration. The 06 I just picked up has a lot of kick to it but with the heavier car, noise deadening, and softer suspension it's miles and miles ahead of my WRX when it comes to having a refined "grown up" feeling. The leather and butt warmers aren't too bad either. When it goes stage 2 I'll definately have a better gauge of what that car can do.
    The 06 is a much lighter car compared to the latest generation of LGT, however. I think the LGT gained something like 300 pounds between the two body styles...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    The 06 is a much lighter car compared to the latest generation of LGT, however. I think the LGT gained something like 300 pounds between the two body styles...
    It just needs more low is all.

I really dig the '07 spec B. Unfortunately people think they're worth more than the fair market value, at least in my area. Definitely tons of potential to be had with that car.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Quote Originally Posted by mudferret View Post
    I really dig the '07 spec B. Unfortunately people think they're worth more than the fair market value, at least in my area. Definitely tons of potential to be had with that car.
    Yeah they hold their value like an STI does...kinda nuts!

But if you find one of the rare 06 Spec Bs...its gorgeous...subtle enhancements, but still has the 5 speed...but it has a SICK cinnamon leather interior.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mudferret View Post
    I wish I could have come to find a spec b...i'll settle for the 06 LGT Limited though.

The identical 05 is chopped liver?
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Banned
    like said its not the same 6 speed as the STI. even if it was the 6 speed gearing to me isnt a kick in the pants tranny like the 5 speed. the layout however of the LGT is pretty sweet. since theres no up pipe and already has EL headers i think its going to be a monster once you start up grading and tuning. its still going to be a big boat though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.