2011 WRX vs. 2011 Legacy GT why does the GT feel so much slower - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX vs. 2011 Legacy GT why does the GT feel so much slower within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I test drove the 5spd spec B. I wasn't the biggest fan. The 6spd one I enjoyed more....

I Support ClubWRX
    I test drove the 5spd spec B. I wasn't the biggest fan. The 6spd one I enjoyed more.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Had An 05 stgII loved it!!! wish i still had it, but the new WRX is a better all around car (compared to the 05) Suspention was always weak on the LGT the only time it was great was with the coilovers, but then it sucked as a daily driver.
    Yes dear polishing the underside of the rocker panels IS important.

ok i had to join this forum just to clear some confusion in this thread. A lot of misinformation but let's start with where you are right:

yes, stock for stock 09+ WRX will rip any stock LGT in any straight line race. Less weight, better gearing with 5 speed (when vs. spec.b) and most of all VF52 vs. VF40/VF46. No competition here period. You guys hit 60 in 2nd gear while I am well in 3rd. The same goes for WRX vs. STI though. I don't know if you guys are aware that up to 100mph stock for stock 09+WRX will have any STI easily, given similar driver skill.

Now, where you got it wrong on spec.B:
    1) SPEC.B has indeed the same transmmision as STI minus LSD with last 2 gears being taller. I can actually get 29MPG with 'Intelligent' map cruising around 70MPH. Same materials, casing, durability and first 4 gears.
    2) it has aluminum control arms, inverted Bilstein struts and R180 rear torsen LSD, just like STI.
    3) 06 spec b had identical short block as STI but 5MT so in my eyes too close to standard LGT

Comes with vf40 turbo up to 06 and VF 46 07+ just like regular LGT.
    Than some cosmetics. Alcantra/leather seats in 07+ and full leather in 06.
    In terms of drivetrain it is closest to STI of any subarus. Spec b has one LSD, STI has 3.

As any subaru, LGTs are dramatically detuned from factory so stage one 6MT LGT will be pretty close if not dead even with stock STI in a straight line. Same gearing up to 4th gear, similar weight. Bigger turbo on STI but so severely detuned it's not even funny.

Now, my question for you guys: does 2011+ WRX has LSD in rear, if so what kind , thank you.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by drogos View Post
    1) SPEC.B has indeed the same transmmision as STI minus LSD with last 2 gears being taller.
    The Spec. B and the STi share the same transmission case, but that's where the similarities end. However, due to utilization of the superior 6MT case and bearing design, the Spec. B transmission will hold far more torque than any 5MT produced by Subaru.

Now, my question for you guys: does 2011+ WRX has LSD in rear, if so what kind , thank you.
    There is no rear LSD. Subaru's largest folly with the 2008+ WRX IMO.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

it's mind blowing how manufacturers come up with specs for their cars. Any LGT including a groccery getter AT wagon has LSD and WRX their performance oriented car doesn't ???!! Can you transplant r160 or r180 into WRX?

ok i had to join this forum just to clear some confusion in this thread. A lot of misinformation but let's start with where you are right:

yes, stock for stock 09+ WRX will rip any stock LGT in any straight line race. Less weight, better gearing with 5 speed (when vs. spec.b) and most of all VF52 vs. VF40/VF46. No competition here period. You guys hit 60 in 2nd gear while I am well in 3rd. The same goes for WRX vs. STI though. I don't know if you guys are aware that up to 100mph stock for stock 09+WRX will have any STI easily, given similar driver skill.
    This couldn't be further from the truth. It's definitely not going to be a race where a WRX wins "easily" by any means. The cars will in fact be very closely matched and in 20 races back to back with drivers with the same exact skill level, I'd bet you'd end up with pretty much a 50/50 split on which car wins.

What makes you say this statement? I'd really like to understand your logic. Is it simply because of the gearing? Or something else? Or a combination of factors?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Re: 2011 WRX vs. 2011 Legacy GT why does the GT feel so much slower

In a silly straight line... maybe. But around a track with turns. The WRX's long ass 2nd gear becomes a disadvantage regardless of power.

Not bad for a drunken post eh?

Posted from a fone.

it's mind blowing how manufacturers come up with specs for their cars. Any LGT including a groccery getter AT wagon has LSD and WRX their performance oriented car doesn't ???!! Can you transplant r160 or r180 into WRX?
    They replaced the rear lsd with vdc. Brake controlled "limited slip." Much cheaper, and probably one of the reasons that the cost of a WRX has had a relatively slow climb upwards over the years. MSRP has only increased a couple thousand bucks since 2002 despite all the extra nonsense added to the car since then.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

analazying a lot of dyno's both stock and stage 1 it looks like stock STI has the most optymistic HP rating from factory while WRX dyno runs look pretty strong. Much lower weight and gearing that kills STI to 60mph and should hold on all the way through 100.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    This couldn't be further from the truth. It's definitely not going to be a race where a WRX wins "easily" by any means. The cars will in fact be very closely matched and in 20 races back to back with drivers with the same exact skill level, I'd bet you'd end up with pretty much a 50/50 split on which car wins.

What makes you say this statement? I'd really like to understand your logic. Is it simply because of the gearing? Or something else? Or a combination of factors?

I Support ClubWRX
    You notice patterns in forii, after a while...one of ours is that there's a cadre of STI owners that always pops out of nowhere to defend the honor of their car.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

zax
    The 2008+ WRX is an R160, just like previous generations, just absent the VLSD. Of course you could

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I agree. The modern WRX and STi put down nearly identical power numbers on identical dynos. The WRX is slightly lighter due to the absence of the technical jazz, which will give it an edge in the 1/4 mile... but not by a wide margin. The advantage of the STi over the WRX was NEVER the power difference anyhow!

Facebook me here

Coming from someone who just sold their spec b, I can tell you the car isn't slower by much at all/if all. The spec b just has a waaaaay more comfortable ride than the wrx and glides right along.

Whoever was comparing the outback xt to their 03 wrx, stock for stock the outback would take it. The 2.5l puts down the power a lot smoother compared to that rubber band feeling you get in the 2.0l

zax

Re: 2011 WRX vs. 2011 Legacy GT why does the GT feel so much slower

Quote Originally Posted by 02bugeyed View Post
    Coming from someone who just sold their spec b, I can tell you the car isn't slower by much at all/if all. The spec b just has a waaaaay more comfortable ride than the wrx and glides right along.

Whoever was comparing the outback xt to their 03 wrx, stock for stock the outback would take it. The 2.5l puts down the power a lot smoother compared to that rubber band feeling you get in the 2.0l
    Holy bump batman!

Love to see the timeslips you used to support your statement.

Beamed at your face at approx. 186,000 miles per second via DROID BIONIC

Facebook me here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12