So What Happened? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 80

This is a discussion on So What Happened? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ooh tough guys on here!! making everyones choices is not your job. just let people tell a story...

  1. #46
    Registered User deerkiller42002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    slipperyrock pa
    Posts
    60
    ooh tough guys on here!! making everyones choices is not your job. just let people tell a story

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #47
    Administrator Trainrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    26,591
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by deerkiller42002 View Post
    ooh tough guys on here!! making everyones choices is not your job. just let people tell a story
    Very tough.

    Nobody said you couldn't tell your story. Actually, at this point I would love to hear it.

  4. #48
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,600
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by deerkiller42002 View Post
    ooh tough guys on here!! making everyones choices is not your job. just let people tell a story
    Telling people what their job is or isn't probably won't make them consider your argument (such as it is...) any more carefully and it certainly won't make them change their behaviour. Keep in mind that moderators are volunteers and that the subject of what goes and what doesn't go in the WRX vs. World forum has been discussed repeatedly. In fact, there was mention and explanations in a previous, recent thread.

    Trying to improve a forum is a great idea, and everyone is encouraged to do so from what I've seen. Where you might have some difficulty though is your insistence on trying to include things that are against the rules, illegal, dangerous, expose the forum to liability, expose the poster(s) to liability, and/or are simply pointless, boring, and infantile. I doubt that'll happen any time soon.

    Since street racing stories are so popular as you say, there have got to be dozens of places online to post them and read them. Insisting they be included here, and without comments you could perceive as negative at that, is a bit like going to a restaurant and asking that the menu be changed.

    Also, nobody is making your choices. People are making choices about the forum rules and policies. These are each a choice of the forum owners/admins.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  5. #49
    Administrator Trainrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    26,591
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Telling people what their job is or isn't probably won't make them consider your argument (such as it is...) any more carefully and it certainly won't make them change their behaviour. Keep in mind that moderators are volunteers and that the subject of what goes and what doesn't go in the WRX vs. World forum has been discussed repeatedly. In fact, there was mention and explanations in a previous, recent thread.

    Trying to improve a forum is a great idea, and everyone is encouraged to do so from what I've seen. Where you might have some difficulty though is your insistence on trying to include things that are against the rules, illegal, dangerous, expose the forum to liability, expose the poster(s) to liability, and/or are simply pointless, boring, and infantile. I doubt that'll happen any time soon.

    Since street racing stories are so popular as you say, there have got to be dozens of places online to post them and read them. Insisting they be included here, and without comments you could perceive as negative at that, is a bit like going to a restaurant and asking that the menu be changed.

    Also, nobody is making your choices. People are making choices about the forum rules and policies. These are each a choice of the forum owners/admins.
    Very clear and concise. I still prefer explaining how tough we are.

  6. #50
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,600
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Very clear and concise. I still prefer explaining how tough we are.
    OK we'll go that way instead.

    I'm very tough, at least on the outside. I'm a hopeless romantic at heart though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  7. #51
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,531
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Very clear and concise. I still prefer explaining how tough we are.
    Is it "as nails?" Are you tough as nails?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

  8. #52
    Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    778
    I didn't realize how much fire this topic had in it.

    Ultimately it seems to come down to a few things gleaned from the posts:

    1. If street racing stories are your thing, then read them from another site's forums. Although at one time they were common and welcome here, that is no longer the case. Call it a case of growing up, or just becoming more aware of the realities of this form of media and its public and open nature, but the majority of vocal members here are no longer interested in having posts of that type here.
    2. As much as I have enjoyed reading them when I have, it is more of a vicarious experience than one that inspires me to be like them. Unfortunately, that is not always the case - people will argue that stories like these simply inspire dangerous activities - and they will be right in some cases. If that is true then it opens up the forum and posters to liabilities. Especially the idiots who include information that could lead back to them (seriously, why are some people so stupid?)
    3. If you really do want to post stories, why do it here? There clearly are sites that are populated by people who want to hear about your latest race - tell them.

    The thing is, I started this thread hoping to get more people to post stories again, because I did enjoy reading them just like I enjoy watching a driving scene in a film. But after this discussion I get the reason why they have disappeared from the site. I will be one of those who will probably visit some other sites to read a story or two as a time killer - I can admit it, but for me I see them more as creative writing than reality anyway. Suggesting that these posts encourage people to break the law is in the same order as saying that TV and film are responsible - which to some extent is true, but it still comes down to the choices individuals make.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

  9. #53
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,531
    I Support ClubWRX
    I race to the speed limit.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

  10. #54
    Administrator Trainrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    26,591
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRex View Post
    I didn't realize how much fire this topic had in it.

    Ultimately it seems to come down to a few things gleaned from the posts:

    1. If street racing stories are your thing, then read them from another site's forums. Although at one time they were common and welcome here, that is no longer the case. Call it a case of growing up, or just becoming more aware of the realities of this form of media and its public and open nature, but the majority of vocal members here are no longer interested in having posts of that type here.
    2. As much as I have enjoyed reading them when I have, it is more of a vicarious experience than one that inspires me to be like them. Unfortunately, that is not always the case - people will argue that stories like these simply inspire dangerous activities - and they will be right in some cases. If that is true then it opens up the forum and posters to liabilities. Especially the idiots who include information that could lead back to them (seriously, why are some people so stupid?)
    3. If you really do want to post stories, why do it here? There clearly are sites that are populated by people who want to hear about your latest race - tell them.

    The thing is, I started this thread hoping to get more people to post stories again, because I did enjoy reading them just like I enjoy watching a driving scene in a film. But after this discussion I get the reason why they have disappeared from the site. I will be one of those who will probably visit some other sites to read a story or two as a time killer - I can admit it, but for me I see them more as creative writing than reality anyway. Suggesting that these posts encourage people to break the law is in the same order as saying that TV and film are responsible - which to some extent is true, but it still comes down to the choices individuals make.
    How dare you bring reason and logic into this thread!! I'll make a guess that you are between 40 - 45 years of age. You failed to use "teh" in your paragraph, and used all the proper punctuation necessary. You must hail from a time that they actually taught English grammar in school.

    Now back to the romper room. Where is the kill story I'm waiting for???

  11. #55
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,531
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Where is the kill story I'm waiting for???
    I'm pretty sure I ran over a frog the other night on my way home.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

  12. #56
    Administrator Trainrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    26,591
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    I'm pretty sure I ran over a frog the other night on my way home.
    I have really gross memories of running over frogs. I found out they pop. A story I pushed waaaay back in my memories hoping to forget.

  13. #57
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,531
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    I have really gross memories of running over frogs. I found out they pop. A story I pushed waaaay back in my memories hoping to forget.
    I apologize for bringing up repressed memories. I also hit a possum the other day as well...thats two kill stoires for you.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

  14. #58
    Moderator rage-wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yonkers/NYC
    Posts
    10,793
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    I race to the speed limit.
    ^^^this .Thats so much more fun.You can literally feel the WTFs from the drivers behind you as opposed to the he's gonna get himself killed comments
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

    The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread


    Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

  15. #59
    Administrator Trainrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    26,591
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    I apologize for bringing up repressed memories. I also hit a possum the other day as well...thats two kill stoires for you.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roadkill.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	95610

    Many many moons ago I was hanging with a friend who lived at a lake house. It was pouring rain so we were just hanging out playing Sega. We decided to hop in my 'ol 87 Cutlass RWD hooptie. As we were driving down the road there was a ton of little whitish things in the roads. We thought it was stuff that fell from the trees. As I was running them over, they were popping. It sounded like I was driving down a big strip of bubble wrap. Finally we noticed them hopping around. They were little frogs. By the time we arrived back at his house I had probably run over a few thousand of them, and my car was absolutely covered in frog guts. It was so gross we were puking when we were cleaning the car with the hose. Yuck!

  16. #60
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,531
    I Support ClubWRX
    Another thing I like to do, since I don't have a horn, I like to downshift and go WOT for a second to open up my wastegate right next to someone with their window down...I didn't realize how loud it was until I raced my buddies Z06 (at the track) and he had his windows down and was in the lane to the right of me...he said I gave him hearing issues. lol
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •