So What Happened? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on So What Happened? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; at TR's epic tale. Maybe I've been on the forum too long..actual streetracing stories have become formulaic to me. GIOC ...

I Support ClubWRX
    at TR's epic tale.

Maybe I've been on the forum too long..actual streetracing stories have become formulaic to me.

GIOC = "Guy in Other Car"

1)GIOC gives snotty look or gesture, justifying dangerous speeds on public roads
    2)GIOC engages in aggressive driving maneuver, justifying dangerous speeds on public roads
    3)Teller of tale and GIOC both supposedly hit gas
    4)Teller of tale is victorious, winning by 1-3 car lengths
    5)GIOC is embarrassed that his Viper got beat by a WRX with hot gf in car, who now licks lips for Teller of tale's benefit.
    6)GIOC pronounces Subaru dominance over the world, though 3 car lengths over a quarter of a mile is actually only a difference of about 1% and may have more to do with the fact that GIOC didn't know he was involved in a race until some guy in a flat-brimmed cap roared ahead of him in a car with a gigantic spoiler.

--Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    at TR's epic tale.

Maybe I've been on the forum too long..actual streetracing stories have become formulaic to me.

1)GIOC gives snotty look or gesture, justifying dangerous speeds on public roads
    2)GIOC engages in aggressive driving maneuver, justifying dangerous speeds on public roads
    5)GIOC is embarrassed that his Viper got beat by a WRX with hot gf in car, who now licks lips for Teller of tale's benefit.
    6)GIOC pronounces Subaru dominance over the world, though 3 car lengths over a quarter of a mile is actually only a difference of about 1% and may have more to do with the fact that GIOC didn't know he was involved in a race until some guy in a flat-brimmed cap roared ahead of him in a car with a gigantic spoiler.

quoted for truth.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

I find it interesting that every car forum has an active kills section, even for cars well into the six-digit price range. Of course their encounters are usually more exotic and involve more remote locations and interesting opponents but the basics are indeed the same.

And I think that's the first time I've ever seen a daily datalog session put into words
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    I find it interesting that every car forum has an active kills section, even for cars well into the six-digit price range.
    Well, maybe not every car forum. At least three I am on absolutely forbid any discussion of anything remotely resembling street racing.

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...
    Bugeye Mafia #338

I haven't had a race in a long time...My job changed locations...no real challenges or meets...that is what stopped my posts...plus, it's winter.
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by smorris View Post
    Well, maybe not every car forum. At least three I am on absolutely forbid any discussion of anything remotely resembling street racing.
    I'm a member of multiple car and motorcycle forums. This is the only one that has any interest in street racing stories.

when the police, highway patrol, NSA, DEA, CIA, and all the other govertment agencies as well as lawyers and large law firms and the court system stop digging around in peoples facebook/myspace/friendster pages and all the forums and blogs that people write in when they do something illegal, then i think everyone will feel much more comfortable writing in a public forum about street racing.

example, there was a thread a while ago about a news article about some moron that was speeding through a neighborhood in his bmw, and he got caught and thrown in jail b/c they found out about who he was b/c he was bragging about going like 140mph on a public road in a web forum.
    Last edited by dbya rx; 03-01-2011 at 10:44 AM.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    when the police, highway patrol, NSA, DEA, CIA, and all the other govertment agencies as well as lawyers and large law firms and the court system stop digging around in peoples facebook/myspace/friendster pages and all the forums and blogs that people write in when they do something illegal, then i think everyone will feel much more comfortable writing in a public forum about street racing.

example, there was a thread a while ago about a news article about some moron that was speeding through a neighborhood in his bmw, and he got caught and thrown in jail b/c they found out about who he was b/c he was bragging about going like 140mph on a public road in a web forum.
    Was this the one? It's a good read

Speeder convicted after bragging online - Toronto - CBC News

East Taut'in, Massachusetts, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post

this is what surprises me- the fact that a person can be held liable for information that is posted on the internet. Pictures, I can understand- they dont lie (yes, photochop aside), but the breadth of liability that comes with data or information that for all intents and purposes could be posted by anyone on someone else's computer. Thats scary. If someone were savvy enough, they could ruin your reputation simply by hacking your account and posting nonsense.

I am not saying that is what happened in any case that has actually occurred- most of the time it is some dumb-@ss kid bragging about waht he did. Whats funny is that a few years ago, it was the advent of cheaper video technology that was starting to catch up with people. Liek kids who would get caught after filming themselves blowing up mailboxes with M-80s...now those same idiots are posting the videos themselves on the internet, after blogging about it on FB...
    Kartboy STS, related shifter/linkage bushings, Whiteline subframe bushing inserts, Whiteline rear differential bushing inserts, Whiteline steering rack bushings, Grimmspeed MCB, Group N tranny mount, TiC tranny cross member bushings, gimmick turbro inlet pipe, Ingen intake, PW-clone TMIC, Turbrosmart BPV, Megan catless DP, Tsudo N1 exhaust... X-wing dangly and dashboard Buddy Christ (for lulz)

Quote Originally Posted by shamankjm View Post
    this is what surprises me- the fact that a person can be held liable for information that is posted on the internet. Pictures, I can understand- they dont lie (yes, photochop aside), but the breadth of liability that comes with data or information that for all intents and purposes could be posted by anyone on someone else's computer. Thats scary. If someone were savvy enough, they could ruin your reputation simply by hacking your account and posting nonsense.

I am not saying that is what happened in any case that has actually occurred- most of the time it is some dumb-@ss kid bragging about waht he did. Whats funny is that a few years ago, it was the advent of cheaper video technology that was starting to catch up with people. Liek kids who would get caught after filming themselves blowing up mailboxes with M-80s...now those same idiots are posting the videos themselves on the internet, after blogging about it on FB...
    i agree it is scary, but i guess that is the risk we all take being a member of the internet. i would assume that if you are falsely accused of something that you didnt do based on something that was written/posted in your name by someone impersonating you, there are methods of verifying where that info came from based on IP addresses, so you could possibly prove that it wasnt you who posted the mis-information.

here is another story. my buddy works for a law firm that represents a bunch of large restaurants and bars in the downtown san diego gaslamp district, big party area. a few years ago, a group of girls decide to go out to celebrate new years. one of the girls gets absolutely fall over hammered and decides to get in her car a and drive home. she went the wrong way on a freeway entrance and killed the driver of the car she hit as well as herself. the family of the driver of the other vehicle was suing all of the bars that the girl went to that night (there was 8 of them) for like a gazillion dollars for serving someone too intoxicated. my buddys law firm was able to pull all the pictures taken that night by all of the different girls that were there from their facebook pages, and put together a timeline for the entire night of which bars they were at. the restaurant/bar that my buddies law firm represents the last restauant the group of girls was at, and they were able to use all of the pics from facebook to show that the drunk driving girl was never at the last restuarant/bar and had already left, and therefore, they were not liable for anything in the law suit.

without passing any judgement about drunk drivers or lawyers, its crazy the kinds of things that the general public post and give everyone access to online. you would think this group of girls would not have posted any pictures of the night their friend killed someone and died, but there were HUNDREDS of pictures between all of them.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    High school kids constantly post pictures of themselves on Facebook and the like engaged in illegal activities - drinking, drug use, vandalism, assaults and more. On top of that they also do it under their real names or leave obvious clues in the stories/images that make it easy to identify them.

They always seem shocked when they are confronted with the information - they just don't get how accessible things really are.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    at TR's epic tale.

Scary true from what I have seen on other forums - it's part of the reason I was drawn to this one. I have found, however, that this thread had a lot less of that sort of thing. Posters tended to share stories that came from everyday life and were more like the experiences we may more typically experience - thats why they are pretty good reads. On top of that, many are actually pretty well written. Other sites often seem to have kids cruising for races, hitting illegal drags, taunting, etc. Those stories follow the formulas you listed to the letter. Your observation is dead on!
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

I Support ClubWRX
    My observations about what gets posted here are based on watching for the last 9 years...we've had plenty of kids out there cruising for races and taunting. It has been less so, in the last few months, since we put some new ideas in place about what is acceptable.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRex View Post
    High school kids constantly post pictures of themselves on Facebook and the like engaged in illegal activities - drinking, drug use, vandalism, assaults and more. On top of that they also do it under their real names or leave obvious clues in the stories/images that make it easy to identify them.

They always seem shocked when they are confronted with the information - they just don't get how accessible things really are.
    On and accessible it is..

Thats ok though, because technology is the new natural selection.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

East Taut'in, Massachusetts, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    On and accessible it is..

Thats ok though, because technology is the new natural selection.
    since humanity has worked its way out of natural evolution, it only makes sense that it has also created its own demise
    Kartboy STS, related shifter/linkage bushings, Whiteline subframe bushing inserts, Whiteline rear differential bushing inserts, Whiteline steering rack bushings, Grimmspeed MCB, Group N tranny mount, TiC tranny cross member bushings, gimmick turbro inlet pipe, Ingen intake, PW-clone TMIC, Turbrosmart BPV, Megan catless DP, Tsudo N1 exhaust... X-wing dangly and dashboard Buddy Christ (for lulz)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast