Raise your hand if you been smoked by a turbo diesel - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Raise your hand if you been smoked by a turbo diesel within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by gumper Im on my second cummins truck, and they shouldn't be taken lightly if even slightly modified. ...

Quote Originally Posted by gumper View Post
    Im on my second cummins truck, and they shouldn't be taken lightly if even slightly modified.
    I told my wife that I'm getting a turbo diesel after we get her mini. I know a mini lol but hey it makes her happy
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A mini? Hmm. The best ones are the 95-98 dodges, but if you just want comfort with pulling power any from 04.5-07 5.9 dodges are good. The manual trans is best choice for durability. I wouldn't recommend any ford diesel, and the duramax trucks are alright but they have problems too (such as catching on fire and burning to the ground).

This reminds me of an 02 f250 I owned prior to my wrx. It was pretty quick but it really sucked at the pump. Especially after a few rompings on the pedal. It still runs like a champ and it's very close to 400k miles wise. Had to replace the rear end and various small parts mind you.

With the ridiculous price of diesel these days those trucks hurt really bad at the pump. Mine is $75 a shot and I can only get about 320 miles from that. Another reason I want a Subie; they don't get great mileage but it's still better than my truck.

If you can look for a 12v cummins those motors are damn near bullet proof and can handle loads of power for the most part..(will be my project vehicale as soon as the wrx is paid off..cant wait!

+1

12V Cummins trucks are THE best. Mine had 365K miles and over 425WHP before it got destroyed in an accident. And it got 22 mpg.

I personally never raced one but last summer I would go to "test n tune" at my local track and some dude with a Dodge Cummins was running mid to low 11's beating EVERYTHING in the street class. I was very impressed.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

My only issue with them is the cost. My 03 Ram (Hemi, quad cab, 4x4, Laramie) is in showroom shape and with 73k miles it's worth maybe $12k. A Cummins the same year with twice the miles is $25-30k. That's ridiculous!
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    My only issue with them is the cost. My 03 Ram (Hemi, quad cab, 4x4, Laramie) is in showroom shape and with 73k miles it's worth maybe $12k. A Cummins the same year with twice the miles is $25-30k. That's ridiculous!
    Yep, diesel trucks hold crazy value. A friend of mine just traded in his Duramax and got like $32k for it.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Ill sell you my 05 cummins truck for 17 they can be fast, but a good trans is $6000. They are not cheap speed, trust me there.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    After reading this a few times I think you need to be corrected. An '03 Ram Diesel with even the same mileage wouldn't be on a lot for more than $20K. I bought mine a year ago with 140K and paid $21K. Now the same truck would go for about $19K, but I'm trying to sell mine for $17K. Most the time it's just the dealer trying to stick-it to an unknowing idiot.

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah I got a kid round the way that has a nice Cummins TD that makes around 11.5 passes... all black, jacked up with stacks... pretty sick truck.
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob | KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | 24mm Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear | Kartboy Front & Rear Endlinks | Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview

Quote Originally Posted by Stu_Gotti View Post
    Yeah I got a kid round the way that has a nice Cummins TD that makes around 11.5 passes... all black, jacked up with stacks... pretty sick truck.
    I hate those trucks. There's quite a few of those back home... almost taller than they are wide, HIDs, never a touch of dirt on them, spewing black smoke from smokestacks at every stop light... often enough to completely block everyone's view when they gun it off the line. Only thing they are missing is the neon "I'm a douche" sign hanging from the back.

Yeah, they can be pretty fast, but I have very little respect for the majority of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    I hate those trucks. There's quite a few of those back home... almost taller than they are wide, HIDs, never a touch of dirt on them, spewing black smoke from smokestacks at every stop light... often enough to completely block everyone's view when they gun it off the line. Only thing they are missing is the neon "I'm a douche" sign hanging from the back.
    And don't forget the ballsack hanging from the tow hitch. Classy!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    And don't forget the ballsack hanging from the tow hitch. Classy!
    TRUCK NUTS!!1!!1!

No really, that's incredibly immature.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast