'08 WRX vs '09 Ralliart
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on '08 WRX vs '09 Ralliart within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok, say you have a stock to stock drag race with an '08 WRX vs an '09 Mitsu Ralliart, who ...

'08 WRX vs '09 Ralliart

Ok, say you have a stock to stock drag race with an '08 WRX vs an '09 Mitsu Ralliart, who would win? How about on a road course? Or even, which would be better on dirt?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The only advantage I see an 08 WRX having for any comparison to a Ralliart would be a lighter weight. I think the Ralliart is around 3450lbs or so.

The Ralliart would do better at the track. And from a dig I think I'd give it the advantage over an 08 WRX too. The SST tranny would allow them to launch better and shift quicker.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Agreed... The '08 is possibly the "softest" WRX built. Ralliart is a faster car in a straight line and road course. On dirt, might be more of a toss up
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

sounds like a real pile of meh to me. but realistically, the 08 wrx has the cards stacked against it in almost every possible scenario.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

reading this makes me sad... as i own an 08 wrx lol

Well if it does make you feel any better the WRX has a real gearbox and not some automated 'thing' with stupid flappy paddles.

That's a pretty ignorant statement. I can understand preferring a stick (as do I) but Mitsu's SST tranny is really impressive. You must never have experienced it first-hand.

And to try to say that the WRX tranny is a good one is laughable.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

I Support ClubWRX
    Easy now...this is a heavily opinion-based conversation. I'm one of the folks that prefers a bad manual transmission to a great automatic (paddles or not), but intelligent people can have different takes on this.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Obviously you've never seen the Top Gear episode with the muscle cars. That was a loose quote from Jeremy Clarkson about the Corvette having a real stick shift trans and not the automated type with paddle shifts.

I know the SST is a good trans. It was a joke, kid.

I prefer a stick because it's way more fun whether it be quicker or slower. My race car is an auto, and its great for consistency at the strip, but it's pretty lame otherwise.

Id go with the Soob of course... easily upgradable at minor cost (sway bars etc), I love mine...
    Last edited by IamCraiger; 02-12-2011 at 05:53 PM.

I've driven the Ralliart. They're pretty soft off the line. There were two '08 WRXs I could have driven, but didn't because I knew about all the negative reviews and didn't want to waste my time.

Could an '08 be made as good as the '09s?

Basically the same car with a little extra hp. Stock 09 is barely stiffer than the 08 and IMHO rolls even more due to the extra power.. a few upgrades to any 3rd gen 08+ model fixes that quite nicely though. Ill take the 08 wrx over the ralliart any day... but then again, Im a long time Soob lover... and a little biased that way.. cheers!

Not worth the effort. Suspension, turbo, and cosmetic changes to make the 08 into an 09 would cost more than just finding an 09 to start with.

I Support ClubWRX
    For gumper's benefit:
    The stock '09 spring rates are actually 40% stiffer front and rear than the 2008, if memory serves; regarded by everything I've read as being a significant difference. Additionally, both the front and rear sway bars are larger.
    I believe the turbocharger in use was also changed to a larger unit. The stock 2009+ dyno runs are very impressive, and respond extremely well to mods.
    The '08 is a fine car, but if stock performance is what I was looking for, I'd hold out for an '09.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Cosmetic things aren't what I'd be concerned with, just performance. I'll probably try to hold out for an '09. How good of a deal would I have to get price wise on an '08 to even consider it?

The Ralliart I was going is buy is $22,500. Little steep imho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast