Subaru WRX Forum banner

2011 wrx vs 2008 acura tl type s automatic

20K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  3.5VQ 
#1 ·
my friend had a 286 hp acura tl type s, its beautiful inside and has power, but it seems to be sluggish with the mushbox.

what do wrx's even run stock?

acura tl type s

0-to-60-mph time: 5.5 sec
Quarter-mile time: 14.1 sec @ 101 mph

if i can launch it i think i can beat him by a car length

i wonder what i can do from a 20mph roll

#2 ·
Eh paper racing is no good. Take it to the track and you'll find out!

Based on the numbers, though, I'll do some paper racing for ya since I'm bored...that's a good quarter for that heavy Acura Sedan...that may be a drivers race from a dig. Frumaroll...my guess is he'd beat you. TL's larger engine will be more conducive to more top-end power...and he'd probably start to pull away after 100mph or so as the WRX's turbo begins to taper off.

#3 ·
You'll have a better chance of beating him from a dig. But, as Mikie said, paper racing is never good lol. In the end it all comes down to the driver. Head down to your local track and get a good start off the line, my money would be on the Rex if you get a good enough start.

#4 ·
well his car is automatic, he doesnt even know how to drive manual, id say im a much more experienced driver, but its not much of a driver thing when its auto in a straight line, i guess from a roll he would really have the advantage with faster shifts

#5 ·
A TL type S messed with me a month or two ago. Not sure on transmission but a couple 30 to 60ish pulls (on a empty rural road) weren't that close, I put at least two car lenghts twice. He blew by sporting a sideways hat yelling something and letting me know I was number 1 with his middle finger?? Not quite sure why people flip out when they "loose" if it was their idea in first place. I got a stg 2 09 with some other stuff. BUT I think a stock verse stock a rex would take it,no doubt from dig.

#7 ·
A TL type S sporting a sideways hat yelling something and letting me know I was number 1
Well there's your problem.. he's a punk ass kid in something Mommy and Daddy obviously bought for him. He's a punk first for trying it on the street, and second for being an ass after he got his handed to him.

#6 ·
Like a previous poster said...go to a track and you'll find out.

My hunch is this: That Acura is a HEAVY car and a few years old. I think the 2011 WRX will get the power to the ground much more efficiently than the acura and generally win a race from a dig.

From a roll, I think the Subaru's advantage begins to diminish as the initial speed increases. Still...I think in most cases, without a missed shift, your Subie is going to win.

Just quote the MotorTrend article: 0-60 in 4.7 seconds :D

#10 ·
my friend had a 286 hp acura tl type s, its beautiful inside and has power, but it seems to be sluggish with the mushbox.
The TL is a nice car, no doubt, but I don't know if these numbers are accurate.

These seem much closer to what I'd expect:
2007 Acura TL Type S 5AT 1/4 mile Drag Racing timeslip specs 0-60 - DragTimes.com
2007 Acura TL type s 1/4 mile trap speeds 0-60 - DragTimes.com

Even from a street-start, a stock 2009+ WRX shouldn't have a problem competing at the strip. keep in mind, the TL is about 800 pounds heavier than the WRX

#11 ·
My wife's mom has a 2009 TL with the 3.7 V6 (305 HP) and SH-AWD. That thing hauls balls for sure. Despite the 800 or so extra pounds, ill bet it would be a close race with a WRX. Of course, it costs more than an STI, so "there's yer problem..."

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Despite the 20 hp increase in output, the new Base version of the TL is some 300 pounds heavier than the outgoing model. The AWD version is likely 500-600 pounds heavier than previous years. Cars, like me, are getting bigger and chunkier with each passing year...

#14 ·
What does a 2011 WRX typically trap in the real world? Probably the quickest WRX yet, but I have to believe that there are a number of big-engined sedans out there that can out-gun it frumaroll.

#15 ·
+1...many companies are making high powered V6s and so on now...hell...the V6 Mustang (not a sedan, but we get the point :) ) with its 306hp...

#16 ·
acura tl type s

Good news for you is these times are for manual. An automatic TL type S runs about 5.8-6.2. You should have no problems walking one. The manual TL S would be a drivers race.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.