04 -07 Forester XT vs WRX Wagon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 04 -07 Forester XT vs WRX Wagon within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Looking at the stats the 04-07 XT seems to have the same year wrx beat. 2.5L engine from the sti, ...

04 -07 Forester XT vs WRX Wagon

Looking at the stats the 04-07 XT seems to have the same year wrx beat. 2.5L engine from the sti, stronger transmission, and the struts the wrx wagon rally cars want. The only downside I can find is the steering ratio is a little slower.

I am missing something? Why is it all wrx at the rallys?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Probably for homologation purposes. The FXT has a less rigid chassis and poorer aerodynamics. That being said, I would buy a 2004 Forester XT if I were to do it over again (though the 4.44 F/D makes for an annoying highway commute )

Keep in mind that a true WRC is about as far removed from even the top-trim STi as a regular road car is to Touring Car racing.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Make sure to drive the cars in question, as numbers don't always tell the tale. I drove a friend's FXT around during some camping escapades...great engine, but it handled like what it was, a small SUV.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

What is it that makes 4.44 annoying on the highway?

I know the forester is built on the imprezza chassis, does it have less reinforcement that makes it less stiff?

I can see it handling more like an suv with the longer struts, but i sure have seen enough video of them sitting flat in the corners!

My original plan was to pick up a 2.oL rex wagon and put in forester struts. I live in backcountry BC but love a car that feels tight on the roads, too. Kind of working at cross purposes ( :

Less stiff doesn't sound good to me though! Seems to me like a rex w/forester struts should feel pretty similar to the actual forester.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by fsr drifter View Post
    What is it that makes 4.44 annoying on the highway?
    You'll be at about 3000 RPMS at 60 mph in top gear and pushing 4000 RPMs at highway speeds. The rex with 3.9 F/D is at about 2300 RPMS at 60 mph in said gear.

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    You'll be at about 3000 RPMS at 60 mph in top gear and pushing 4000 RPMs at highway speeds. The rex with 3.9 F/D is at about 2300 RPMS at 60 mph in said gear.
    Woah! Are you sure about that? What does that make your revs at 100mph?!? Or 120 for that matter? If this is right I don't think it will work for me, what kind of project would it be to swap for a different F/D?

zax
    Woah! Are you sure about that? What does that make your revs at 100mph?!? Or 120 for that matter? If this is right I don't think it will work for me, what kind of project would it be to swap for a different F/D?
    why? I mean, for fuel economy I get it... but why? The shorter gear ratios make the FXT faster in the quarter mile to the WRX despite having less overall hp and more weight. If you really want to change the F/D that would require transmission and (maybe) rear diff swap. But again, why?

Facebook me here

Looking at the stats the 04-07 XT seems to have the same year wrx beat. 2.5L engine from the sti, stronger transmission, and the struts the wrx wagon rally cars want. The only downside I can find is the steering ratio is a little slower.

I am missing something? Why is it all wrx at the rallys?
    It has the same short block from the EJ257, but it's not an EJ257.

You forgot to mention that it's lighter than an Impreza too...

I do love Forester STI builds though!
    Last edited by Pavia; 11-10-2010 at 11:22 AM.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    You forgot to mention that it's lighter than an Impreza too... ;
    It's not. The 2.5L WRX, yes... but not the 2.0L. The 2004 FXT was billed at 3190 pounds, while 2.0L WRX wagon weighs in at 3160 pounds. The 2.0L Sedan is 3080 pounds.

After 2004, the FXT just got chunkier

Facebook me here

It's not. The 2.5L WRX, yes... but not the 2.0L. The 2004 FXT was billed at 3190 pounds, while 2.0L WRX wagon weighs in at 3160 pounds. The 2.0L Sedan is 3080 pounds.

After 2004, the FXT just got chunkier
    Thanks. Plus wasn't it just the 04-05 FXT that had the EJ257 shortbock?
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

why? I mean, for fuel economy I get it... but why? The shorter gear ratios make the FXT faster in the quarter mile to the WRX despite having less overall hp and more weight. If you really want to change the F/D that would require transmission and (maybe) rear diff swap. But again, why?
    I do a fair bit of highway, as in I'm always either on a highway or a dirt road! 3000 @ 60 just sounds strung out! I remember having a corolla back in the day (sweet sr5 rwd hatch) that reved at 4000 cruising at 80 and wishing there was a couple more gears! Ya for MPG but also just listening to a car with lots of power left and no gear for it.

+Around these parts it's not uncommon to cruise at 100...uh... hypothetically.
    Last edited by fsr drifter; 11-10-2010 at 01:10 PM.

zax
    Ya for MPG but also just listening to a car with lots of power left and no gear for it.

+Around these parts it's not uncommon to cruise at 100...uh... hypothetically.
    That's where the power is! These motors don't make peak power until approx. 6000 RPM

Thanks. Plus wasn't it just the 04-05 FXT that had the EJ257 shortbock?
    I think you are right. The 2006+ received the EJ255 shortblock IIRC. Not that there is too much difference between the two, but they are stamped differently. The heads, though, I have no idea. 2004 and 2005 have 8.2:1 CR, while the USDM WRX EJ255 has 8.5:1 (right?). STi has 8.2:1 but I think this has to do with the bucket size and piston shape.

EDIT:
    2006+ FXT has 8.5:1 CR, so this seems to (at the very least) not disprove our theory...
    Last edited by zax; 11-10-2010 at 01:37 PM.

Facebook me here

That's where the power is! These motors don't make peak power until approx. 6000 RPM

I think you are right. The 2006+ received the EJ255 shortblock IIRC. Not that there is too much difference between the two, but they are stamped differently. The heads, though, I have no idea. 2004 and 2005 have 8.2:1 CR, while the USDM WRX EJ255 has 8.5:1 (right?). STi has 8.2:1 but I think this has to do with the bucket size and piston shape.

EDIT:
    2006+ FXT has 8.5:1 CR, so this seems to (at the very least) not disprove our theory...

Yeah, the only difference between the EJ255 and EJ257 short blocks are the pistons. Of course, there is more to an engine then the short block and the EJ257 is a sweet deal.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 4.44 rear in the AWD system isn't a direct correlation to say... a '70 Nova with a 4.44 12bolt posi rear...

Not trying to hijack but what would the F/D do to fuel mileage if you have lets say an 2 -3 hour highway commute every day? What does that look like for top end power. I would assume the FXT would would run out of gears before the WRX wagon stopped pulling.

zax
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 4.44 rear in the AWD system isn't a direct correlation to say... a '70 Nova with a 4.44 12bolt posi rear...
    Yeah, you are correct. At least the way I understand it, the speed reduction from the motor (input) to the wheels (output) depends on all the following items:
    1. Gear ratios
    2. Final drive on the output shaft
    3. Differential multipliers
    4. Size of the wheels (in terms of vehicle velocity)

For example, the 2006+ USDM WRX actually has a 3.7:1 final drive ratio on the output shaft of the tranny, but the center diff has a 1.1 multiplier so effectively the speed to the front and rear diffs are the same as the 2002-2005 WRX with 3.9:1 F/D and 1.0 diff multiplier.

Facebook me here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast