09 wrx vs. Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 09 wrx vs. Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by SD_GR As concepts and as ideas, and as a collection of technologies and approaches the cars were ...

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    As concepts and as ideas, and as a collection of technologies and approaches the cars were brilliant. It's just that they did not age well at all, and the dealer network at the time did not help matters.

When Daimler bought Chrysler they did two things: told everyone in the US that Chrysler bought Daimler instead, and tried to fix the dealer network. The irony there is that those of us with Plymouth or Eagle badges got much, much better service from DaimlerChrysler dealers than the Mitsu guys from Mitsu dealers.

I'd buy a DSM or 3000/Stealth made by Honda. Then again I'd buy most things made by Honda (life's short after all).
    I've always loved the looks of the 97+ 300GT's... they were ahead of their time as far as design and technology for sure... too bad they weren't up to par with reliability, otherwise I'm sure I would've owned 1 at some point in time...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I never broke either of the two Stealth TT's I've owned. I totaled the first one and sold the second one. A downpipe, MBC, and fuel system netted mid 12s in a 4000lb car. I don't think that's too shabby. They're nowhere near as finicky as a DSM, and I owned 6 of them as well.

Here's the rant I used to copy & paste whenever the situation came up. It's been around at least 10 years now:

---

They're too heavy to handle well. Wait a minute, it pulls more lateral g's than a NSX, Supra, and C5.

It only beats the C5 in a slalom - and we all know how poorly C5's handle

With that kind of weight, it must stop poorly too. Wat a minute, what's that? It beats the NSX and Viper in braking? It ties the C5 and is only 1 foot behind a Supra? Only 2 feet behind the Ferrari? Impossible!

Yep, those cars were too heavy to do anything well. It came in last in all the acceleration tests. Too bad it's so hard to make more power out of that engine. I mean, my peashooter 9b stock turbos managed 109 traps with a race weight of 4070 lbs - throw those numbers into a hp calculator and see what it makes.

---

So these days there's not as much need for the "vinegar" in that post but it makes the point pretty clear. Yes, it's a heavy GT car but it fills that role extremely well. The new GTR is heavier but since it's got more power and more brakes it's automatically "awesome" where this 20 year old car is crap for some reason.

The active suspension? PERFECT. Not too floaty on tour and rattle-your-teeth on firm. It's not an autox car and it doesn't pretend to be. Active steering? Yes, please. I don't have delusions of being a race car driver. I wanted a good car for the streets and it's hard to find one that did it better in the 90s.

My brother did the singled-2JZ thing 10 years ago and it was fine but I wasn't jealous. Check out my site and watch the videos. It wasn't the fastest thing in the world but it wasn't too bad either, and it didn't destroy two engines like my Suby has done...
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

I know a few guys who own 3000GTs down here. Working on them is a pain the ass, you slice yourself up and tear your knuckles raw cause the engine bay is so crammed

One of my friends has a vr-4 with a AEM, FMIC and two "19Ts" that are hybrids forged off a WRX turbo. He's running close to 400 right now but he plans for 500 or so later when he can afford a tune. They are pretty nice considering they are so fat, and they got those beastly Getrag transmissions.

If only you could fit more than 1 and 1/3 people in one
    I get picked on by them cause I got 4 doors, I say "hey man I can fit three *****es in the back, two if they're fat. You can go home with some sexy midget with those back seats and split her with your wingman"

All in all, I wouldn't mind a GTO MR from Japan, gotta love the gearing on them.
    Last edited by wo^tron; 11-10-2010 at 06:33 AM.
    Put aside the everyday world and come with us
    Into the realm of imagination
    The middle ground between light and shadow

I Support ClubWRX
    I was in the latter days of engineering school when the Stealth/3000 specs were announced, and we were all very impressed. It looked "big" compared to the 300Z/Supra/RX-7, but it was nice to have another twin turbo V6 offering out there with so much tech in it to gawk at.

I decided that it wasn't the right car for me after driving one. In fairness, it was the lesser model Stealth, not the turbo monster...but at low speeds the car just didn't feel nimble enough to me; you felt the weight in transition, and I felt like I was taking up "more road" widthwise than I wanted to to be comfortable. Not taking anything away from John's claims about handling...more about the feel of the car than the numbers.

All personal preference stuff; I know that it's a respectable GT that many have truly enjoyed and had fun tinkering with. My WRX wagon isn't exactly a Mini Cooper in transitions either.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

The difference between the NA 3S and the turbo model is just like going from a base Impreza to an STi. It's an entirely different car that happens to share the body panels.

A pair of 19T's is good for mid 11s or quicker. I was going to have one of the first sets of bolt-on TD05-16g's but the group buy went bad and I got taken for $2k cash. I lost interest and sold the car a little after that. There was a new Subaru sedan on the market that I was dying to have. Now if that car ever sells I'll hopefully be behind the wheel of a 300C SRT8.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    The difference between the NA 3S and the turbo model is just like going from a base Impreza to an STi. It's an entirely different car that happens to share the body panels.

A pair of 19T's is good for mid 11s or quicker. I was going to have one of the first sets of bolt-on TD05-16g's but the group buy went bad and I got taken for $2k cash. I lost interest and sold the car a little after that. There was a new Subaru sedan on the market that I was dying to have. Now if that car ever sells I'll hopefully be behind the wheel of a 300C SRT8.
    Yeah man I can't wait to see my buddy's once its at full boost. It feels so much better just with the turbos and low boost. He was going to go for a T66 but it kinda ended up being more money than he thought. There were a couple other setbacks too. Shame I woulda loved to see that.

I got a friend who just picked up some TD05 turbos for his Stealth from 3sx. He took a base ES, made it all wheel drive and turbo with active aero and exhaust. Still has all the labels for being a lowly n/a though haha, he's passionate about the platform and making his car a sleeper
    Last edited by wo^tron; 11-10-2010 at 11:26 AM.
    Put aside the everyday world and come with us
    Into the realm of imagination
    The middle ground between light and shadow

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    I never broke either of the two Stealth TT's I've owned. I totaled the first one and sold the second one. A downpipe, MBC, and fuel system netted mid 12s in a 4000lb car. I don't think that's too shabby. They're nowhere near as finicky as a DSM, and I owned 6 of them as well.

Here's the rant I used to copy & paste whenever the situation came up. It's been around at least 10 years now:

---

They're too heavy to handle well. Wait a minute, it pulls more lateral g's than a NSX, Supra, and C5.

It only beats the C5 in a slalom - and we all know how poorly C5's handle

With that kind of weight, it must stop poorly too. Wat a minute, what's that? It beats the NSX and Viper in braking? It ties the C5 and is only 1 foot behind a Supra? Only 2 feet behind the Ferrari? Impossible!

Yep, those cars were too heavy to do anything well. It came in last in all the acceleration tests. Too bad it's so hard to make more power out of that engine. I mean, my peashooter 9b stock turbos managed 109 traps with a race weight of 4070 lbs - throw those numbers into a hp calculator and see what it makes.

---

So these days there's not as much need for the "vinegar" in that post but it makes the point pretty clear. Yes, it's a heavy GT car but it fills that role extremely well. The new GTR is heavier but since it's got more power and more brakes it's automatically "awesome" where this 20 year old car is crap for some reason.

The active suspension? PERFECT. Not too floaty on tour and rattle-your-teeth on firm. It's not an autox car and it doesn't pretend to be. Active steering? Yes, please. I don't have delusions of being a race car driver. I wanted a good car for the streets and it's hard to find one that did it better in the 90s.

My brother did the singled-2JZ thing 10 years ago and it was fine but I wasn't jealous. Check out my site and watch the videos. It wasn't the fastest thing in the world but it wasn't too bad either, and it didn't destroy two engines like my Suby has done...
    good rant/post. i think what most people will remember is there reliability and there ability to do a lot of things good just nothing great. so it doesn't hold up well over time compared to the over hyped supra and it's 1000hp at 8900rpm
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

My buddy had one with boost turn up to 14 a full 3 inch exhaust bov, jic coilovers we took it to track and the best it ran was 12.3 at 107mph. Not bad for first time we beat two supras (not sure what was done to them) just my 2 cents.
    ...it takes less time to do a thing right, than it does to explain why you did it wrong...

My coworker has a 3000GT, I swear he's had it for 17 years or so.... I really don't know. But It does make more power than my WRX, it just looks like it's 17 years old whereas mine is quite nice for my daily commute.
    2009 WRX - South Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    How were their numbers and what would happen in a standard drag race (stock to stock) and could they go around the turns at speed too?
    The Dodge Stealth/Mitsubishi 3000 consistently registered higher G forces than the Corvette every year. Yes, the Corvettes from back then weren't the handling monsters of today, but the Stealth/3000 is a pretty amazing car.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12