what's the point?
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on what's the point? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; seems lately the moderators are keeping a close eye on this section. closing every thing evolving street racing. i reread ...

what's the point?

seems lately the moderators are keeping a close eye on this section. closing every thing evolving street racing. i reread the sticky at the top of this section and while it says clubwrx does not condone or support street racing. it also doesn't say that any discussions about past street races are not aloud. in fact it out lines parameters on things that are not allowed and in the end it states "all opinions and facts are allowed." so i ask what's the point of this section of the forum anymore? even the brief description of this section promotes discussions about "street" events.

"How does the WRX stack up to the competition? Talk about the numbers and technical details or post stories about everyday encounters with other street monsters."
    Last edited by 2004NeonSRT4; 10-08-2010 at 07:55 PM.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I saw the words street racing in your thread this will get locked now.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    This is a good question - It is a question that probably shouldn't be pushed. I don't think I've ever seen the OP start a street racing thread anyway.

Maybe if you folks could just be reasonable about it and not be openly and explicitly starting threads about highly illegal activities such as going 110 side by side on such and such public highway we could all avoid a bunch uneeded drama.

By the way neon, you can actually post in any forum you want and help people out like we do, not just this one.

At the end of the day, bragging or griping about this in such a public format does not do anyone any good.
    Last edited by mycologist; 10-08-2010 at 06:34 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Just so everyone can be made aware of this, allowing talk of street racing events basically is allowing people to incriminate themselves online. BTW, some insurance agencies do their homework as do some car companies. If you've been found to be abusing your vehicle, claims can be denied simply because you were stupid enough to talk about your idiocy openly online. Court cases have been decided based on online discussions as well.

Shutting down street racing not only removes ClubWRX from any moral liability, but also helps prevent it's users from making asses of themselves with regards to potential legal issues in the future.

Street racing is not the only form of racing, actually it's the least admirable, and I ****ing hate anyone that does it and is proud of it. I'd gladly beat the **** out of anyone who attempts to do it around me, in fact, but I digress. You can measure up your car against others in many ways, drag racing, road racing, autox, rally, all legally sanctioned forms of racing, off the street.

Keep it on the track people, you are seriously idiotic if you post on here about abusing your car within warranty or participating in illegal activities, and for what it's worth, I hope it comes around to bite you.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    By the way neon, you can actually post in any forum you want and help people out like we do, not just this one.
    Aye.

FRMAROL = From a roll? Sounds like street racing to me.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    The only point to this is more cops on the highway and more kids doing stupid ****.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Aye.

FRMAROL = From a roll? Sounds like street racing to me.
    Nice avatar - I was thinking it was time when I was out on Thursday.

If these people brag about their "exploits" and get busted, they suffer the consequences. We know most of it is exaggerated or downright made up as it is.

The site probably would have had an easy time avoiding any liability right up until the subject became heavily moderated. At that point the burden shifts and the site is is then expected and basically required to moderate to a higher standard than would have been necessary before.

Unmoderated = free speech. It doesn't mean any activities mentioned are endorsed by the site. However, moderation implies some sort of defacto approval for the posts and/or subjects that are allowed to remain. This is known as the "slippery slope" principle.

I'm not a lawyer. I've been involved with car msg boards since before the Ultimate Bulletin Board software was in beta, and via email lists before that. This subject is nothing new!
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    If these people brag about their "exploits" and get busted, they suffer the consequences. We know most of it is exaggerated or downright made up as it is.

The site probably would have had an easy time avoiding any liability right up until the subject became heavily moderated. At that point the burden shifts and the site is is then expected and basically required to moderate to a higher standard than would have been necessary before.

Unmoderated = free speech. It doesn't mean any activities mentioned are endorsed by the site. However, moderation implies some sort of defacto approval for the posts and/or subjects that are allowed to remain. This is known as the "slippery slope" principle.

I'm not a lawyer. I've been involved with car msg boards since before the Ultimate Bulletin Board software was in beta, and via email lists before that. This subject is nothing new!
    Hmm. As far as debates go that was a good one. But couldn't we just put a disclaimer in the rules written by a lawyer?
    Last edited by mycologist; 10-08-2010 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    This is a good question - It is a question that probably shouldn't be pushed. I don't think I've ever seen the OP start a street racing thread anyway.

Maybe if you folks could just be reasonable about it and not be openly and explicitly starting threads about highly illegal activities such as going 110 side by side on such and such public highway we could all avoid a bunch uneeded drama.

At the end of the day, bragging or griping about this in such a public format does not do anyone any good.
    If you search my name you'll find several threads i started about street racing. it was awhile ago for sure but i've done it.

my only real point is why have this section? there is nothing useful in this section that couldn't be placed in other areas if you remove street racing from the game. any questions about what's faster and more powerful could easily be divided into off topic, general discussion and "power bragging" areas of this forum. freeing up moderators to tend to other areas.

i've bin a active member of this section of the forum for a long time. i don't feel my knowledge of Subaru's is strong enough to really help anyone else out.

this is place is usually light hearten and jokingly. never gets into bashing, flaming or name calling. so it makes it a nice place to bs about street cars. while not taking life so serious. i think the stated rules and guidelines are very well written and explained. as long as there followed i see no reason to stop allowing "street" stories.

sorry to go all serious but this is a nice place to converse and i enjoy it. oh and the license plate to the car i don't own any more was a joke on the stereo type that srt's only race "frumarol" which is mostly true. especially in my case. anything under 60mph was a rolling burn out.
    Last edited by 2004NeonSRT4; 10-08-2010 at 07:58 PM.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Just so everyone can be made aware of this, allowing talk of street racing events basically is allowing people to incriminate themselves online. BTW, some insurance agencies do their homework as do some car companies. If you've been found to be abusing your vehicle, claims can be denied simply because you were stupid enough to talk about your idiocy openly online. Court cases have been decided based on online discussions as well.

Shutting down street racing not only removes ClubWRX from any moral liability, but also helps prevent it's users from making asses of themselves with regards to potential legal issues in the future.

Street racing is not the only form of racing, actually it's the least admirable, and I ****ing hate anyone that does it and is proud of it. I'd gladly beat the **** out of anyone who attempts to do it around me, in fact, but I digress. You can measure up your car against others in many ways, drag racing, road racing, autox, rally, all legally sanctioned forms of racing, off the street.

Keep it on the track people, you are seriously idiotic if you post on here about abusing your car within warranty or participating in illegal activities, and for what it's worth, I hope it comes around to bite you.

Beyond the legal ramifications there is the fact that it jeopadizes everyones safety on the road. I have had some close calls because of people racing on the road. having said that i am not going out of my way to beat anyone more like avoid them. If you get me to that point you have made a big mistake. unfortunately most of these people can never see the danger they are posing to it is too late.

It's highly illegal and frowned upon by modern society, kind of like yanking cats, but we discuss that all over on this site. . .

Guess we'll just have to stick to talking about the "twisties".

:airjerk:

I think that at the end of the day, as long as you are not orchestrating street racing events or talking about a future street race, its a story. As someone below said, most are over exaggerated or even completely made up. Street racing is going to happen, its a fact whether you are happy about it or not. People will get pulled over, crash, die, or maybe have a good time and go home with a smile. So if the site states that they don't condone or support and they are legally, morally, etc free from guilt and blame, then whats the harm in a story? just curious and love debates
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I Support ClubWRX
    My question to you all is why do you have to include so many details to explicitly indicate it is street racing?

Look at two examples -

I raced a such and such and it was such and such.

I raced a such and such on highway 192 blah blah.

Don't they initiate or add to the same type of discussion equally?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    It's highly illegal and frowned upon by modern society, kind of like yanking cats, but we discuss that all over on this site. . .

Guess we'll just have to stick to talking about the "twisties".

:airjerk:
    The airjerk is completely unnecessary and somewhat offensive.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast