what's the point? - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on what's the point? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; you guys have been around this forum at longer then me but at some point you got to say enough ...

you guys have been around this forum at longer then me but at some point you got to say enough is enough. Everyone has a opinon and that is fine. Personally i can think people should take it to the track and stay safe. i think we have all pushed are car's at some point and is just a matter of what is reckless and what is not. I have never been one to hold back so if some people don't agree too bad. Street racing is a good way to jeopardize someone elses life who in many cases was just driving along the road minding his own business.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'm finally going to give my piece of mind on the actual topic at hand. When I was a kid there was basically a simple ticket you could sometimes get for "peeling and squealing". Modern street racing culture has ruined that for everyone due to sheer stupidity displayed and the limelight it has garnered. Legislaters are now trying to write (or may have even succeeded) laws for Life in Prison for even serious injuries caused to innocent people while street racing. Just saying that is how serious people are taking it.

Slippery slope from there to cat removal, for sure.

Compared to Pavia's thread, I was trying to find the one where the guy posts on a forum, people bash on him, then he goes out and kills himself (maybe others, IDRC) street racing. Do you want to be a part of a community that has their thread put on the national news and no one was even allowed to protest to the stupidity of the conduct portrayed?

I do not ever "street race".
    Last edited by mycologist; 10-13-2010 at 07:10 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    So under the current rules of the road for this sub-forum, the thread "Dude!" about the guy who raced his buddy's SI shouldn't have been closed, IMHO.

It happened after the fact (ie, no planning), he posted no videos, and there were no insulting or provocative posts.

Was it locked because of the excessive speeds involved or just because it happened in an everyday encounter setting?

If the race was just a short stoplight run up to 3rd gear would it have still been locked?
    I was going by "Members posting illegal threads are subject to banning without warning." It is completely unclear if that means threads about illegal activities or refers to threads that break the rules you cite though. Honestly I find the way the rules are written to be quite confusing and they should be revised. There has been some good input here to consider.

The global rules for the site say this:
    "No Illegal Activities
    No discussion about any illegal or unlawful activities will be tolerated. Your post will be deleted without warning. This includes anything from stealing candies from a convenience store to hacking into the government website. Remember, anything you post over the Internet is available for public viewing and may be used against you."

The "dude" thread pissed me off not only because of the speeds, but because they actually planned it ahead of time then went out and did it but couldn't make the effort to go to a track. It was NOT an "everyday encounter" (whatever that means).

Honestly I was moderating this forum for many months without stepping on it until the conflicts arose. I'm not planning on being heavy handed.

It was not a light decision. The post was reported for having expletives in the title. I removed them while moving it out of IET. I posted in the report thread that I was thinking about closing it but waited until late the next day.
    Last edited by mycologist; 10-13-2010 at 10:10 PM.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I was going by "Members posting illegal threads are subject to banning without warning." It is completely unclear if that means threads about illegal activities or refers to threads that break the rules you cite though. Honestly I find the way the rules are written to be quite confusing and they should be revised. There has been some good input here to consider.

The global rules for the site say this:
    "No Illegal Activities
    No discussion about any illegal or unlawful activities will be tolerated. Your post will be deleted without warning. This includes anything from stealing candies from a convenience store to hacking into the government website. Remember, anything you post over the Internet is available for public viewing and may be used against you."

The "dude" thread pissed me off not only because of the speeds, but because they actually planned it ahead of time then went out and did it but couldn't make the effort to go to a track. It was NOT an "everyday encounter" (whatever that means).

Honestly I was moderating this forum for many months without stepping on it until the conflicts arose. I'm not planning on being heavy handed.

It was not a light decision. The post was reported for having expletives in the title. I removed them while moving it out of IET. I posted in the report thread that I was thinking about closing it but waited until late the next day.
    I can agree that the rules need to be revised. If we go by the global rules, a lot of discussion should be cut out, members, banned, or threads deleted. Plain and simple, if illegal activity is not to be discussed on this site, it's not to be discussed, no leeway given simply because a mod finds one thing to be subjectively less inappropriate than something else. This includes illegal exhaust mods, illegal tint, payoffs for inspections, illegal headlight mods, etc...

Ultimately, of course, it comes down to Tim's decision on the matter. Remember that if mods are to be militant about illegal activity, as the rules suggest, they need to fill the part. If you allow your mods to decide what is, and isn't, appropriate then the rules need to be revised to reflect that. Remember, also, that illegal activity being posted on this site can bring negative attention to it, in several ways.

I will continue to contribute to this site, though not here simply because I morally object to it's content, and will follow whatever rules are decided. I would rather, however, be a part of a community that protects the safety of others on the road, and doesn't promote illegal activities such as street racing, even if it's only done passively by allowing the discussions about it to take place.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    This sentiment on both sides that the mods can't handle making these decisions is the actual problem. I hope that my explanation above will ease some of this concern. The rules in this forum do clearly state that it is at the mods' & admins' discretion. I see my job as trying to help the various interests find a middle ground.

I don't think any of you really want rules like that to be enforced 100% as then it does obviously also include emissions stuff etc. - my opinion of it is "criminal activity" is an automatic action.

Personally I would like to see this forum run itself. Don't explicitly discuss ridiculous and illegal activities. If something bothers you post your objections but don't get personal. If you think we missed something report it.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's interesting to me how far removed this is from the logical processes of most of my 30 and 40-something friends.

Workfriend:"What were you typing about so vigorously?"

Me:"Oh, there's a little conversation going on on the forum."

Workfriend:"What about?"

Me:"There are some guys who get upset when people point out that street racing is dangerous, and are trying to defend their right to discuss the races on the forum."

Workfriend:[astonished] "Umm, what do you even say to that? I guess that's what happens when you have a forum full of 16-year-olds, right?"

Me: LOL
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    It's interesting to me how far removed this is from the logical processes of most of my 30 and 40-something friends.

Me:"There are some guys who get upset when people point out that street racing is dangerous, and are trying to defend their right to discuss the races on the forum."

Workfriend:[astonished] "Umm, what do you even say to that? I guess that's what happens when you have a forum full of 16-year-olds, right?"

/thread

I Support ClubWRX
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    I made it through page 2 before I refused to keep going.

So maybe what I'm about to say has already been said???

Streetracing is for Vin Deisel wannabe pu$$ies that are afraid to find out how slow their cars are at a REAL track.

I say if you are too afraid to have your own ass handed to you on a track in a safe, neutral environment, free from any lame "riceburner" excuses as to why you lost........ then sell your car and go buy a Prius.

There is plenty of room for this topic..... we just need a few more people to take responsibility for their actions, stop endangering the lives of innnocent families, and take their cars to the track and truly find out how well their car is built.

I'm racing on Oct 30th:
    http://lapbattle.com/Forum/index.php?topic=339.0

And once it's over, I'll compare myself to the other competitors (I'm # 14):
    http://lapbattle.com/Forum/index.php...sg1132#msg1132

--end of rant.
    Last edited by ninefourteener; 10-14-2010 at 07:37 AM.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

i see this thread took off while i was gone. i also see that this thread has pretty much ran it's course. the only question i have left if what set of rules do we follow? the "global" rules, the rules stated at the top of this sub forum? all we need is clear rules and mods to enforce them. that's all.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    /thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    I can agree that the rules need to be revised. If we go by the global rules, a lot of discussion should be cut out, members, banned, or threads deleted. Plain and simple, if illegal activity is not to be discussed on this site, it's not to be discussed, no leeway given simply because a mod finds one thing to be subjectively less inappropriate than something else. This includes illegal exhaust mods, illegal tint, payoffs for inspections, illegal headlight mods, etc...

Ultimately, of course, it comes down to Tim's decision on the matter. Remember that if mods are to be militant about illegal activity, as the rules suggest, they need to fill the part. If you allow your mods to decide what is, and isn't, appropriate then the rules need to be revised to reflect that. Remember, also, that illegal activity being posted on this site can bring negative attention to it, in several ways.

I will continue to contribute to this site, though not here simply because I morally object to it's content, and will follow whatever rules are decided. I would rather, however, be a part of a community that protects the safety of others on the road, and doesn't promote illegal activities such as street racing, even if it's only done passively by allowing the discussions about it to take place.
    So here's three people who clearly think street racing is stupid and really feel passionately about saving lives on the road. Do I feel as passionate as them? Not really. But that is my point. If you're going to allow stories that are essentially watered down like mycologist suggests you're still going to have people like them preaching to everyone else on how bad it is to do.

I know I'm not anyone important on here or anything but what is the point of even having it at all. It either has to be one way or another. You can't keep it and have guys start arguments on how stupid you must be to have fun in your car on the roads. I'm sure that will never happen so you might as well just delete it and not have to deal with grey areas wit what you'd actually like to hear and what isn't allowed.

So I've been following this entire discussion and I think there are basically 3 points being made consistently:

1. Street racing is stupid, dangerous, and it shouldn't be discussed here.

2. Its called WRX vs. THE WORLD, let us tell our stories.

3. We need to allow the basic idea of this thread to survive without the details of illegal activity or the "over-moderation" which would made this sub-forum seem irrelevant.

In this thread I've seen both moderators and members make good points and silly, un-needed swipes and comments. This is turning into a battle between members and moderators, and that is definitely not a good thing. We need to stop arguing like this about abortion, religion, or politics. We need to come together as the community we all claim to be and care about, and make as many people happy as possible.

Ideas I think are good ones:
    1. Keep specifics to yourself- we aren't going to map quest where you raced just to "see" it better in our imaginations
    2. I like the "Post Limit for Entry" theme, but instead is it possible to view but not post until X number of threads is reached. I realize that this might exclude my being able to comment here, for the time being, but you have to prove yourself before you are trusted to be a valuable member of a community

Other than that, keep things friendly. We understand your concerns about driving quickly, but telling people to stop smoking and/or drinking because it is dangerous to yourself and those close to you almost never stops people from doing it. If you don't like whats on TV, change the channel. If you read these stories and just get angry, stop reading them. This is a thread for your stories about racing and how you compare to other cars/drivers , lets leave it at that.
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I Support ClubWRX
    New wording is being developed to try to clarify the rules here; it's sounding to me like a "middle ground" solution. We'll know if we succeeded if everyone is a little mad about it.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Registered User deerkiller42002's Avatar

racing is fun

cmon guys whoever says street racing isnt fun, let them say it its not gonna stop anyone from doing it, so let everyone have there opinion on it.

We'll know if we succeeded if everyone is a little mad about it.
    Always the sign of a true compromise
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast