what's the point? - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on what's the point? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; To the original topic... I've noticed this area getting a bit stricter on the nature of the posts, but then ...

To the original topic... I've noticed this area getting a bit stricter on the nature of the posts, but then again we tend to get a lot of new members or one time posters relating some real stupid driving on the street.

We could solve a few of the concerns by limiting the access to the Comparison forum to those with over a certain post count (say 200). This would keep the lurkers and newbie fanbois from posting their stupidity.

Spirited-but-safe, I say...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    What Nasioc does or doesn't do shouldn't have anything to do with how this forum is managed.

Brian, in your opinion what value does this subforum bring to us? Every thread looks the same to me.
    It should though, one of the things that's made this place great over the years is that it was different. It wasn't the same old ****, and that's what drew a lot of people to build the community here and call this place home. Being able to post about stuff without someone coming in thumping their chest and locking a thread.

As far as what this brings, not a lot, but the same can be said for just about every sub-forum here. Some bickering back and forth, information regarding other cars, bs call outs, but that's about it. . . lets be honest, this place is a much better community than a source of technical information.

I find it saddening that this forum has operated like this for years until recently. Why the newly found hatred for people that push the go-pedal when it's operated like this for the better part of a decade?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    I find it saddening that this forum has operated like this for years until recently. Why the newly found hatred for people that push the go-pedal when it's operated like this for the better part of a decade?
    For what it's worth I think my first disagreement about "street racing" was voiced some time in 2003 or so. I got generally the same response back then -- I'm in the wrong forum and if I don't like it I don't have to read it -- so both I and the response have been consistent.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    It should though, one of the things that's made this place great over the years is that it was different. It wasn't the same old ****, and that's what drew a lot of people to build the community here and call this place home. Being able to post about stuff without someone coming in thumping their chest and locking a thread.

As far as what this brings, not a lot, but the same can be said for just about every sub-forum here. Some bickering back and forth, information regarding other cars, bs call outs, but that's about it. . . lets be honest, this place is a much better community than a source of technical information.

I actually feel it may be you, and your perception of the site that is changing.

It seems that you now constantly defending the boy-racers here when you used to trash them. Actually, you were quite well known for it. You also now edge towards claiming everyone drives recklessly and street races. I'm sorry, that's just not true.

Fortunately, it's pretty easy to compare recent threads versus those over the years and see lock-rates for those.

As far as claiming that everyone street races, I don't even think anything near that. I'm just not in some fantasy land where I think that everyone obeys the law all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    I actually feel it may be you, and your perception of the site that is changing.

It seems that you now constantly defending the boy-racers here when you used to trash them. Actually, you were quite well known for it. You also now edge towards claiming everyone drives recklessly and street races. I'm sorry, that's just not true.

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree with the notion that the draw to this forum is the community. There is good info here, but even the most diehard Club fan will admit that Nasioc is a superior tech resource.

I don't necessarily agree with the idea that it's a good community because we've allowed talk of streetracing to go on. Looking down through the kill stories of this forum, I find that I don't recognize most of the OP's as being active contributors to other parts of the forum, or who have "made the community what it is".

I think most of the admins/mods hear what Jeremy is saying, that it's cool to have a free and open internet. This hasn't changed, overall...go to 4chan, anything and everything goes there...or so I hear.
    If the admins resolutely saw this subforum as trouble and a pain in the butt (and sometimes it is), it would have been closed with no discussion, and that would have been the end of it.

It's interesting to see the different viewpoints, from people that I consider to be some pretty smart guys. I did some "spontaneous racing" with people in my teen years, but for whatever reason got past it. Maybe it was all of the physics in engineering school. Kinetic energy goes up as a square of your velocity, guys, not linearly. Consequently the risk of hurting yourself or others at 100mph isn't "double" what it is at 50mph. I've got a family to live for, and I don't want to take out a member of someone else's family. For me, it's a risk that's not even worth thinking about. Plus I'm now too family-poor to repair my 2002 transmission when it breaks after the launch.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    So do people feel any differently if it's a chance encounter between two vehicles who happen to meet on the road vs. the F&F-style planned races where dozens (hundreds?) of cars meet one night to race on deserted streets in an industrial area?

I think the latter is far more stupid than the former. At least you've got to go to larger towns to find the "racer hangouts" where they live their lives a quarter mile at a time. These are the ones where you read that spectators die when cars go out of control. These "events" could take place on T&T night at any drag strip in the country and would be perfectly safe but there either isn't a track nearby or these people crave street cred. You see people trailering full race cars to these things!

On the other hand, every time somebody posts a quick penis comparison where they went WOT from a light or down an on-ramp, people always assume it's through a school zone for handicapped kids while passing a busload of nuns on the sidewalk on two wheels. Like SD said, the citations would be the same in either situation so neither is legal.

We used to have a redlight in town where the right lane had to merge left within like 100 yards. I always chose the right lane and never failed to easily pass the person on my left, even when it was some prick who was out to show me I wasn't going to do it. In the 90s there was nothing that would out hole-shot a turbo AWD car! This was such a common occurrence that finally enough people complained (even had editorials in the paper) and they made the right lane a turn-only lane, complete with cement triangle to enforce it. Yes, people actually complained (this site filters the b-word?) that other cars would chose the right lane and then out-accelerate them instead of just choosing to line up single file before the light. Was that racing or merging?

There is a car "gathering" almost every night of the week where I'm at. Some people race and some just do burnouts in the parking lot. I usually like to cruise down and hang out because a bunch of the local subie guys go and because there are some really nice cars that show up to some of these "events." I probably get asked if I want to run 10-15 times a night if I go. And I always say no. I really don't need to pay more on my insurance if I get a ticket. But on the other hand 90% of the people that go to these meetings are at the track on Friday nights for T&T. And there are always AWESOME cars at the track on Fridays. I'd much rather see how my car stacks up to the high dollar cars. That's just me though. Plus if it's at the track you have proof.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    But then again, I like to test the buoyancy of my vehicle...so what do I know?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    No one has the time or the inclination to "chest thump" on this forum. For my part I took issue with senior members who seemed to think this was "their forum" running off anyone who had a different opinion of street racing than them. The particularly blatant instance was by BrianH. My issue was based on a desire to avoid conflicts among members. That discussion lead to where we are now.

The thread that everyone seems upset about I closed because the OP:
    1) Was about an organized event that was premeditated
    2) Specifically referenced public highways and location
    3) Specifically referenced speeds of 110MPH presumably side by side.

Does that really seem unreasonable?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    No one has the time or the inclination to "chest thump" on this forum. For my part I took issue with senior members who seemed to think this was "their forum" running off anyone who had a different opinion of street racing than them. The particularly blatant instance was by BrianH. My issue was based on a desire to avoid conflicts among members. That discussion lead to where we are now.

H8ter

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    H8ter
    Well damn, when you quote it like that you lose the emphasis on 'OP'. Now I see how mean I am.

Still sticking to my story though.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist
    Still sticking to my story though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1CnfvLfYgE
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

All of this because I told someone that was boohooing about streetracing that they shouldn't come in a section "WRX VS THE WORLD" if people hitting the accelerator bothers them? Surely you're not serious? I don't consider this my forum, but I do consider myself to be part of this community. Maybe you should look at it the same way.

We should close everything down across the forum, a difference in opinion on anything could lead to conflicts, someone's feelings being hurt or someone needing a hug.

And i'm not pro-streetracing, I'm anti this site turning into a NASIOC where a bunch of pompous hypocritical *******s cry to internet every time someone hits the gas in their car. Then this same group of clowns goes on cruises and usually comes back with one or two cars banged up or totaled from spinning out in the 'twisties' or from other vehicular asshattery. Maybe you could just call me concerned that someone may fall off their horse?

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post

I Support ClubWRX
    My official position is still "MEH!".
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    My position still stands that I like bewbs.

Brian's bewbs to be exact......

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.