what's the point? - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on what's the point? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; [takes notes, plans wardrobe]...

I Support ClubWRX
    [takes notes, plans wardrobe]
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I don't even care. I don't even like jelly. I don't even know jelly. What is jelly?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    I enjoy JR in a thong. I enjoy Ray posing in his one piece. I enjoy SDGR's descriptions of how Barry White is his aphrodisiac.

That is what I enjoy. We need more of that.
    Ray's comment was directed to what we would enjoy about the "Versus the World" forum.

I don't think he needs me to tell him that I would love to see him riding a unicycle wearing nothing but a black leather corset. Then again, that is what I enjoy, and we could use more of that.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX

It's Only Love Doing Its Thing Baby

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    I enjoy JR in a thong. I enjoy Ray posing in his one piece. I enjoy SDGR's descriptions of how Barry White is his aphrodisiac.

That is what I enjoy. We need more of that.
    I heard the Maestro's name! I blast Barry White on full gain in the car. Nobody revs at me when I do so -- nobody (as far as I can hear, anyway).

Just listen when he says "let me put my hand right there..." and tell me there's any hostility left in the world...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njrresB0kDM
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I heard the Maestro's name! I blast Barry White on full gain in the car. Nobody revs at me when I do so -- nobody (as far as I can hear, anyway).

Just listen when he says "let me put my hand right there..." and tell me there's any hostility left in the world...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njrresB0kDM
    See what I mean?

He has Barry Radar!

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow, is it like Shazam? If I need Spiros, can I just yell "Barry White!" and he'll come swooping in?
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    can I just yell "Barry White!" and he'll come swooping in?
    If the mood is right...
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I feel like a newb around you old timers. you must be 50+

anyway back on topic mods! or i'll lock this thread!
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4 View Post
    I feel like a newb around you old timers. you must be 50+

anyway back on topic mods! or i'll lock this thread!
    Fair enough. Here's my personal take:

It's unclear to me that "street racing" actually exists. It is not a motorsport, or it would be sanctioned and it would belong in the motorsports forum. It is also by default not racing in the sport sense. "Street racing" in this context is IMO a euphemism for speeding, reckless driving, exhibition of speed, or a combination thereof depending on the circumstances and locale.

There is also an apparent distinction between "the twisties" and "street racing" though at the end of the day (or night, actually) the necropsies would likely be similar, and any citations issued would fall under the same ordinances.

Given what I've seen, I personally find "street racing" crass and tasteless. People do it all the time. People criticize it all the time. Would I prefer absolutely zero threads about it? Yes. Is that likely to happen? I don't think so. Will I enjoy the site either way? Sure!

So I'll go with the flow and accept whatever decision is made ultimately.

To try to answer the question, I think that most people are here for the same reason that I always flip to the back of my Road and Track, to see how my "econo-box with a turbo" compares to everything else on the road. But here its better for several reasons:
    1. Its real world experiences (good/bad drivers, whatever conditions, etc)
    2. Its skewed towards Subarus, which is why, I think, we are all here.
    3. It allows other members to see what really happens when you add a turbo back, with a tune, etc etc.
    4. If you are looking at the cars and the results, I don't think anyone really cares if it happens on a track or a side street, or wherever.

We, well at least I, wouldn't post here just to be like, look at me I'm being illegal. I'd post to be like, look at me being faster than that Audi S4, sure its nicer inside, but I can't afford it.

Am I far off base?
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    4. If you are looking at the cars and the results, I don't think anyone really cares if it happens on a track or a side street, or wherever.
    You think this despite comments to the contrary even in this thread, not to mention other threads in the sub-forum?

I Support ClubWRX
    I think I miss 1999. Back when you could post/download anything you wanted to/off the internet and NO ONE CARED! Back when Napster was legal-ish, Sony.com had a naked playmate screen saver free for download, and my 450 P3 was LIGHTENING!! Back when the web had anonymity, before spam ran rampant and spywhat?

That being said my feelings on this entire subject can be summed up as "MEH!", and you can quote me on that.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

So do people feel any differently if it's a chance encounter between two vehicles who happen to meet on the road vs. the F&F-style planned races where dozens (hundreds?) of cars meet one night to race on deserted streets in an industrial area?

I think the latter is far more stupid than the former. At least you've got to go to larger towns to find the "racer hangouts" where they live their lives a quarter mile at a time. These are the ones where you read that spectators die when cars go out of control. These "events" could take place on T&T night at any drag strip in the country and would be perfectly safe but there either isn't a track nearby or these people crave street cred. You see people trailering full race cars to these things!

On the other hand, every time somebody posts a quick penis comparison where they went WOT from a light or down an on-ramp, people always assume it's through a school zone for handicapped kids while passing a busload of nuns on the sidewalk on two wheels. Like SD said, the citations would be the same in either situation so neither is legal.

We used to have a redlight in town where the right lane had to merge left within like 100 yards. I always chose the right lane and never failed to easily pass the person on my left, even when it was some prick who was out to show me I wasn't going to do it. In the 90s there was nothing that would out hole-shot a turbo AWD car! This was such a common occurrence that finally enough people complained (even had editorials in the paper) and they made the right lane a turn-only lane, complete with cement triangle to enforce it. Yes, people actually complained (this site filters the b-word?) that other cars would chose the right lane and then out-accelerate them instead of just choosing to line up single file before the light. Was that racing or merging?
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    You think this despite comments to the contrary even in this thread, not to mention other threads in the sub-forum?
    I understand that people are always going to have a problem with people driving fast and what not, but there are always people who will always have a problem with something.
    My point was more to the theme of, if you are coming into this subforum you should come with an open mind that you may see "street racing" and you may see racing from a track. If you want nothing to do with "street racing" then don't come in here. This is "Comparison: WRX vs World" period. Its Joe Schmoes car vs John Smiths car, and Joe's car has an exhaust and a tune. John won, discuss...That in my opinion is how the threads should start and people shouldnt dig deeper
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    On the other hand, every time somebody posts a quick penis comparison where they went WOT from a light or down an on-ramp, people always assume it's through a school zone for handicapped kids while passing a busload of nuns on the sidewalk on two wheels.
    Wow, so much do I agree. Driving fast does NOT automatically mean racing or reckless.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Yes, people actually complained (this site filters the b-word?) that other cars would chose the right lane and then out-accelerate them instead of just choosing to line up single file before the light. Was that racing or merging?
    I bet you the people who complained where the people trying to out accelerate you, and then got upset bc their lexus got passed when the guy has his gf in the car.
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast