what's the point? - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on what's the point? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; We should just shut this subforum down and then the kiddies can just talk about their "kills" on Facebook..............to much ...

I Support ClubWRX
    We should just shut this subforum down and then the kiddies can just talk about their "kills" on Facebook..............to much of a headache it seems .
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    My question to you all is why do you have to include so many details to explicitly indicate it is street racing?

Look at two examples -

I raced a such and such and it was such and such.

I raced a such and such on highway 192 blah blah.

Don't they initiate or add to the same type of discussion equally?

The airjerk is completely unnecessary and somewhat offensive.
    agreed. i would like to see this added to the rules of discussion. no street names, highway routes, names of people or times of day. as it could cause people to think about the discussed area is different light.

example. if say 95% of every story came from Houston Texas i would think differently about going to or through that town. i know it's a far stretch but it's a easy problem to correct before it happens.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

I agree with the last few, except shutting it down. Keep the stories simple and generic (no places, streets, times, etc der!)
    Its a nice place to talk about competition and comparison...

And for the "what would happen if" threads...especially dont put those details in. "What would happen if my 09 sedan with tint and tribal decals went up against a Veyron...think i have a chance" See, no details, no problems
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I find it funny really. Because someone comes across someone else and posts their story. Then you get the hohums that come in and try to explain to everyone how street racing is illegal and that they can kill people and it's illegal. If you ask me they are the ones who cause the flaming. People aren't going to change their minds by some dude online telling them it's bad.

I personally don't see how reading peoples kill stories online will cause someone else to go out and race someone. Doesn't matter to me either way, I don't make my way in here as much.

I Support ClubWRX
    Some good points made here; truthfully, this forum been a topic of discussion for moderators multiple times over the years.

By default it falls to Tim (the site founder, and the guy who's rules we ultimately are trying to enforce) to decide if he wants "free expression" in this forum, and let the chips fall where they may for the individual who says too much...or if he wants to come down on the side of "no discussion of illegal activities", which is another rule that goes back many years. If he's undecided then the mods need to make a decision, I suppose.

I hear the argument that somehow the forum is safe from prosecution if we stay uninvolved...but I'm not sure I'm buying it. We live in a litigious society, one where companies get sued because their hot coffee burned someone, and I am no longer surprised when lawyers successfully place the burden of blame on someone who, to me, seemed almost completely unblamable.

Just an innocent question for those of you that are more into the streetracing scene: Are there not a lot of other places online that exist for the purpose of expressing your disappointment because a 1977 Chevette with a CAI pulled on your Stage 2 WRX last night after 100 mph? Given that going wild on the streets is (to my mind) more a game for the young (or in Brian's case young at heart...love ya man! ), it seems like the net would be filled with such things.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I think it's cool that we at clubdub can have a mature discussion about these sorts of things.

I agree that most impressionable youth will not be swayed by a forum post suggesting that street racing is dangerous. However, maybe -- just maybe -- a few individuals may learn the error in such an act and this may save lives. Also, positive reinforcement from comments like "yeah brah, I just took my STi to 160 on a public road... it was mad sick yo" probably do not help to end reckless driving. It's all in moderation... and the wording. Talk about racing a mustang? That's fine. Don't talk about racing on public roads. That's just my stance on things...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I hear the argument that somehow the forum is safe from prosecution if we stay uninvolved...but I'm not sure I'm buying it. We live in a litigious society, one where companies get sued because their hot coffee burned someone, and I am no longer surprised when lawyers successfully place the burden of blame on someone who, to me, seemed almost completely unblamable.
    It's not really that you'd be completely clear of liability if it weren't moderated to that extent. It's that once you start, the mods then have to decide how "severe" or "involved' the racing aspect of every post is. This is where lawyers would have a field day -- the "this thread was allowed to continue so you're now condoning the actions expressed" approach. Zero tolerance is easy to do. As soon as a post says "WOT" and "street", it's out of here. It's not the best approach but it's easy and effective. Right now we're trying to take a middle ground and it can be sticky.

People sue all the time, and we know it doesn't really require the grounds to do so -- just the cash. One could argue that the site encourages pollution by showcasing mods that increase emissions and lower fuel economy.

FWIW, I'm closer to 40 than to 30 so I'm no young 'un either!
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    One could argue that the site encourages pollution by showcasing mods that increase emissions and lower fuel economy.
    An interesting point...but those things aren't connected by the media in a visceral, emotional way to the deaths of innocents in the way that streetracing is. I've seen lawyers (representing an angry, wealthy parent who's kid was killed by something) go after sillier things than a forum that was perceived as encouraging a dangerous activity.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

anything that can be subpoenaed by a court of law is something that no one should be disucssing on an open public forum...be that street racing, drunk driving, illegal drug use, etc

there is just no need. there are plenty of other things to discuss and share.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Willingly violating federal emissions, selling stolen parts, harassing someone. If we're going to play the I'm afraid of the big bad attorney card, this site is going to suck more than Nasioc.

Yes, NASIOC, the site we all despise compared to the small community we've built over the years here. . . the site we're slowly turning into.

I'm not one of those old guy shaking his fist starting every sentence off with "back in the old days", but for as long as I've been here there's been no problem with this section, now all of a sudden there is. Frankly, and to put it nicely, I think it's a crock of **** and another nail in the coffin to this ever-shrinking community. A shame IMO as this place has one of the best balances of enthusiasts to fanboys.

Just think how much it could help to not allow people to post at all. There would never be an attorney card at that point.

I Support ClubWRX
    What Nasioc does or doesn't do shouldn't have anything to do with how this forum is managed.

Brian, in your opinion what value does this subforum bring to us? Every thread looks the same to me.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

What Nasioc does or doesn't do shouldn't have anything to do with how this forum is managed.

Brian, in your opinion what value does this subforum bring to us? Every thread looks the same to me.

if your going to go with that approach you might as well stop all new threads from this point on unless it involves anything new. how many "what cai should i buy?" threads are there? i don't see the faq/newbie section being closed anytime soon.

i say again, modify the outlined rules of this section and have it moderated so that they are followed. if your still unhappy and are concerned about future ramifications then close this section all together.

personally i would love to see it stay and wouldn't mind helping out anyway i can.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm really just trying to get opinions from those of you that really like this forum, so that it can be considered.

Let's leave the "well, if you're going to do THIS, then you have to do THAT" stuff aside for now; what, in particular do you guys enjoy about the "versus the World" forum?
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Let's leave the "well, if you're going to do THIS, then you have to do THAT" stuff aside for now; what, in particular do you guys enjoy about the "versus the World" forum?
    I typically enjoy the fanboi posts about boyracer beating some guy in some car that could easily rape his '02 stage 2, mad tyte JDM yo, bugeye. I then enjoy the various forum people that jump on and flame the fanboi for either street racing and how bad it is, or claiming BS to the post and then debating with the fanboi how on paper there is no way he could have won the illegal race.

That is what I enjoy. We need more of that.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    I enjoy JR in a thong. I enjoy Ray posing in his one piece. I enjoy SDGR's descriptions of how Barry White is his aphrodisiac.

That is what I enjoy. We need more of that.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast