Have a 09 WRX...Looking at 370Zs - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on Have a 09 WRX...Looking at 370Zs within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; If you want a really cool week-end car you have to get something really unique. Down here in the south ...

If you want a really cool week-end car you have to get something really unique. Down here in the south there are all sorts of mustangs, camaros, vettes, 350/370Z etc. I am with Zen, go for the Acura NSX or a Lotus Exige. Very cool cars, very unique, total head turners. Out of the box they are fast and fun.

A nissan 350/370Z will always just be what it is unless you really sink a bunch of money into it. Then it is just a modded 350Z. A lotus would be hot. You could even get a nearly new elise for that money.

Just my two cents - buy what you like and have fun.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Likes Cars With Orbicular Windmill Engines
    Did you ever end up getting a car?

I have a Boxster S and Rx-7 as weekend toys to suppliment my Bugeye wagon. Each car is so different and great in it's own way that I really don't think I could be completely happy with any one of them.

The WRX is a fantastic car, but there are aspects of a true sports car that you'll never get from an Impreza. You might want to consider a project car. They can be a very satisfying once completed.

I don't believe you need alot of power to have a fun car. Some of the best true sports cars have adequate power but have such great responsiveness and tactile feedback that you don't care what it will do the 1/4 mile in. Mr2s, MGs, Rx-7s, 914s, 944s, 911s, Fiats, Zs from the 80s and earlier are some of the best sports cars and are completely different experiences from a modern WRX.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by me73 View Post
    Mr2s
    I had considered a Gen-1 MR2 just recently, even though they have the tendency to try and kill the driver Snap oversteer FTL

tactile feedback that you don't care what it will do the 1/4 mile in.
    are completely different experiences from a modern WRX.
    So how do you feel about your bugeye? This is the reason why I have not been able to get rid of my bugeye... lack of AVCS, drive-by-cable, and the feel in general... it feels far more "raw"... I'd love to get my hands on a pre-2000 STi
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    The MR2 is no longer practical in my view as they are getting old and parts are hard to find. This second MR2 that I am driving daily may be my last (I've had a MkI and a Mk2; the best US MkI cars are IMO the 1985 with the as-intended handling; in 1986 they attempted to "tame" it but just made it understeer more initially). No single system on my MR2 works as intended, yet the car still starts and stops on its own. 260,000 mi and counting. I'd no longer own a single MR2. In a few years I feel it will have to be either none or at least two at once.

Wankels: No. It's not that kind of party. Another thought: no.

944s are club racers for a reason I think few like to discuss: they're no longer practical on the road due to age, issues, parts costs etc. In their day they had the best steering available; now a Pug 106 Rallye can rival that and is still feasible as a street car. Shame about the 944 as I liked it and Audi made them so well all things considered; 968 Cabrio a personal fav, might be streetable if the term is used loosely (saw one this month I think). Early 924 auto a low point. Have not seen a clean 944 in a long time, and there were gobs of them down here at one point.

The 911 is an interesting choice. Also getting rarer though.

The 350Z/370Z have incorrect door handles. Otherwise they're interesting. The G35 is more interesting and what I'd look at if it were up to me in a Nissan.

The last X1/9 I drove blew a head gasket during the test drive, and that was in 1988. I doubt reliability has improved since.

Alfa Spider: Yes.

Alfa GTV6: Yes. Same layout as 944 basically, but interesting and more worth the trouble. I seem to remember something about two piece head gaskets but I'm sure that's the least of the worries. Will build character.

Rover SD1: OK (but why, oh why?).

Honda S2000: Yes. Too bad Honda didn't make the 944.

Mazda MX-5: Yes. Mercifully it's not a Wankel.

Chevrolet: Not the one you're thinking out there, no.

MG: No.

Of all the above, I'd go S2000, G35, MX-5 in that order.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I had considered a Gen-1 MR2 just recently, even though they have the tendency to try and kill the driver Snap oversteer FTL

So how do you feel about your bugeye? This is the reason why I have not been able to get rid of my bugeye... lack of AVCS, drive-by-cable, and the feel in general... it feels far more "raw"... I'd love to get my hands on a pre-2000 STi
    I love my bugeye, but it's not perfect.

Between my GD and my wife's GC OBS, her car's chassis is much more fun. Even with her car's ridiculously thin sway bars and lack of chassis bracing it's still noticeably more agile and responsive. Subaru may have added stiffness to the GD, but they also added weight and isolation. Still, it's chassis communication is excellent, I never wonder what one of the corners of the car is doing or what I need to do to make the car behave the way I want it to.

I've not driven a 3rd gen WRX, but I have a few hours of seat time in a 2011 non-turbo and it's lost most of the uniqueness that make GCs and GDs Subarus. Aside from the ride being a little stiffer than average, I could sit in that car and not know if I was in a Honda, Mazda, or Nissan. I think that was Subaru's goal with that car, mission accomplished, no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The MR2 is no longer practical in my view as they are getting old and parts are hard to find. This second MR2 that I am driving daily may be my last (I've had a MkI and a Mk2; the best US MkI cars are IMO the 1985 with the as-intended handling; in 1986 they attempted to "tame" it but just made it understeer more initially). No single system on my MR2 works as intended, yet the car still starts and stops on its own. 260,000 mi and counting. I'd no longer own a single MR2. In a few years I feel it will have to be either none or at least two at once.

Wankels: No. It's not that kind of party. Another thought: no.

944s are club racers for a reason I think few like to discuss: they're no longer practical on the road due to age, issues, parts costs etc. In their day they had the best steering available; now a Pug 106 Rallye can rival that and is still feasible as a street car. Shame about the 944 as I liked it and Audi made them so well all things considered; 968 Cabrio a personal fav, might be streetable if the term is used loosely (saw one this month I think). Early 924 auto a low point. Have not seen a clean 944 in a long time, and there were gobs of them down here at one point.

The 911 is an interesting choice. Also getting rarer though.

The 350Z/370Z have incorrect door handles. Otherwise they're interesting. The G35 is more interesting and what I'd look at if it were up to me in a Nissan.

The last X1/9 I drove blew a head gasket during the test drive, and that was in 1988. I doubt reliability has improved since.

Alfa Spider: Yes.

Alfa GTV6: Yes. Same layout as 944 basically, but interesting and more worth the trouble. I seem to remember something about two piece head gaskets but I'm sure that's the least of the worries. Will build character.

Rover SD1: OK (but why, oh why?).

Honda S2000: Yes. Too bad Honda didn't make the 944.

Mazda MX-5: Yes. Mercifully it's not a Wankel.

Chevrolet: Not the one you're thinking out there, no.

MG: No.

Of all the above, I'd go S2000, G35, MX-5 in that order.
    The nice thing about a weekend car is that you don't have to rely on it to do anything useful every day. This affords one the opportunity to take some purchase risks in the name of experience. Restricting a fun car to something modern is a major mistake, IMO. Light, pure sports cars barely exist any more. Even the Miata has lost some of it's charm. The 1st gen is much more fun than the 3rd (and better looking).

I love my Rx-7. I've owned it for 21 years and I'll never sell it. One of the most exotic engines ever to be made by Japan. All hand assembled by the company that treats that engine as it's heart and soul. Mine makes about 200 NA HP and in a car that weighs under 2400 pounds, it can push you around with more authority than expected.

I took my buddy who owns a 385hp 2010 Carrera 4S for a ride in it a couple of weeks ago. He had a big grin on his face after a couple of corners and a full throttle run to 8000 RPM. It's not like it's faster than his car, but it definitely is different, and entertaining.

To each his own, but there is no other engine remotely like the rotary in experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    there is no other engine remotely like the rotary in experience.
    I like rotaries; I hear at least one every week because of the location of my work. I don't like Wankels.

If I could have any Wankel engined car in theory and be guaranteed it'd run, I'd chose an NSU Ro 80 or a Citroen GZ. Both were decades ahead of their time IMO.

I also found the Mazda RX3 interesting for a while. Nowadays though I'd go NSU or Citroen -- probably Citroen GZ.

The Hercules / DKW motorcycle and the Norton Wankel are also fun to talk about. I would sell the DKW and go buy a bike or something. I'd probably keep the Norton for sentimental reasons despite the motor issue at this point in my life.

EDIT: To be fair, I'd own any works rally car, meaning I'd love to own the works GrB Mazda RX-7. I remember seeing it used in anger at a WRC event where it placed high actually -- Quixotic vs. full Group B mid-engined AWD competition, but noble.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 04-04-2011 at 10:28 AM.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I like rotaries; I hear at least one every week because of the location of my work. I don't like Wankels.

If I could have any Wankel engined car in theory and be guaranteed it'd run, I'd chose an NSU Ro 80 or a Citroen GZ. Both were decades ahead of their time IMO.

I also found the Mazda RX3 interesting for a while. Nowadays though I'd go NSU or Citroen -- probably Citroen GZ.

The Hercules / DKW motorcycle and the Norton Wankel are also fun to talk about. I would sell the DKW and go buy a bike or something. I'd probably keep the Norton for sentimental reasons despite the motor issue at this point in my life.

EDIT: To be fair, I'd own any works rally car, meaning I'd love to own the works GrB Mazda RX-7. I remember seeing it used in anger at a WRC event where it placed high actually -- Quixotic vs. full Group B mid-engined AWD competition, but noble.
    Both my Rx-7s went for over 150,000 miles on the original engines without anything more than oil changes. I voluntarily upgraded this car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Off the list SD provided, I'd have the S2k and put on a comptech SC kit, or a mazdaspeed miata. I almost bought an S2k before my subi. What a great car out of the box and a blast to drive. Plus the hard top/targa conversion retains the convertible, looks good and only weighs 40lbs so its an easy 1 man lift off.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Banned
    Since we have a DD S2000 (thank you CA weather) I would probably want a Lotus as a weekend car. Just an elise, not an exige (a weekend car should have a removable top!).
    Last edited by Marioshiboi; 04-04-2011 at 11:11 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Off the list SD provided, I'd have the S2k and put on a comptech SC kit, or a mazdaspeed miata. I almost bought an S2k before my subi. What a great car out of the box and a blast to drive. Plus the hard top/targa conversion retains the convertible, looks good and only weighs 40lbs so its an easy 1 man lift off.
    I recently attended a Honda owner meet and agree about the hard top, it's brilliant. The car tends to take fewer prisoners than even my MR2, so it's probably not an ideal commuter car but it is a very good car. It's probably the best non-Senna Honda car.

Banned
    I recently attended a Honda owner meet and agree about the hard top, it's brilliant. The car tends to take fewer prisoners than even my MR2, so it's probably not an ideal commuter car but it is a very good car. It's probably the best non-Senna Honda car.
    My wife and I put 250 miles on ours per week commuting. How do you mean not a good commuter car?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
    My wife and I put 250 miles on ours per week commuting. How do you mean not a good commuter car?
    Outclassed by Lincoln Town Car with driver, others...

I drive the MR2 almost twice that distance weekly; I'd rather not commute in it (or anything else I had to drive myself) at all.

Banned
    Oh yeah, I was thinking this morning, it sure would be nice to be driven to work...but if I had that kinda money, I doubt I would be working!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
    Oh yeah, I was thinking this morning, it sure would be nice to be driven to work...but if I had that kinda money, I doubt I would be working!
    You make a good point.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.