Have a 09 WRX...Looking at 370Zs - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Have a 09 WRX...Looking at 370Zs within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by White_Pearl_82 ...and there is the issue of being aboard a ship for 2.5 years (I'm a commissioned ...

Quote Originally Posted by White_Pearl_82 View Post
    ...and there is the issue of being aboard a ship for 2.5 years (I'm a commissioned officer for NOAA), and then going to the South Pole for a year, money starts burning a hole in my pocket. I have way too much time to drool over cars on the internet down here lol. My mind might definitely change about getting another car when I get settled in and realize there is lots of other stuff I will have to spend money on when I'm back in real life.
    I worked on the LC-130 aircraft with the skis for landing gear, in my day...

Do they still use them at the Poles?
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    I worked on the LC-130 aircraft with the skis for landing gear, in my day...

Do they still use them at the Poles?
    Nice! Yep they still use them heavily. We should get our first one here at the Pole later this week. So far we have received three DC-3 Baslers because they can fly in at lower temps.
    2009 WRX Premium Satin White Pearl
    Engine/Transmission mods:
    Stage 2 Cobb AP, STI Short Throw Shifter, STI Shift Knob, Perrin Downpipe, SPT Catback Exhaust, Perrin Shifter Bushings
    Suspension/Wheels mods:
    Perrin 25mm adjustable front swaybar and 22mm adjustable rear swaybar, Perrin front and rear endlinks

Having both a WRX and 370Z would be cool but I've always approached a 2nd car as one that is quite different than the DD. Like having a WRX and an S2K for weekend top-down cruising.

I had a 350Z back in the day and eventually got rid of it because I wanted more power. It was a really great car and I enjoyed it, but once I got into my first turbo car (an Evo) I've stayed with turbo'd cars ever since.

The 370Z is awesome (can't argue with more power and less weight!) but since it's a 2nd car I would suggest maybe getting a nice 350Z and throwing a supercharger or turbo kit in it. You can do all that for like $20k including the price of the car and depending on the kit be between 350-450whp. Or get a later model Nismo 350Z to get the looks and stiff chassis, and then throw a FI kit into that. That would be an AWESOME weekend car with gobs of power.

But my perspective is that a 2nd car should be the "toy" that isn't similar to the DD very much at all.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
    The 370Z is awesome (can't argue with more power and less weight!) but since it's a 2nd car I would suggest maybe getting a nice 350Z and throwing a supercharger or turbo kit in it. You can do all that for like $20k including the price of the car and depending on the kit be between 350-450whp. Or get a later model Nismo 350Z to get the looks and stiff chassis, and then throw a FI kit into that. That would be an AWESOME weekend car with gobs of power.

But my perspective is that a 2nd car should be the "toy" that isn't similar to the DD very much at all.
    The 350/370Z NA cars are not really setup for easy Turbo/supercharging. The compression ratio is too high, cylinder walls too thin, and internals are not strong enough. You'd really have to destroke the motor, resleeve the block, and replace the bottom end. You're looking at a good amount of $$. If it were my vote, I'd say spring for an older model Porsche 911.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

it was the do goodedness of this forum's posters (some in this thread) that steered my 19 year old ass away from a bugeye rex and into a honda accord. damn you's club dub DAMN YOU'S!

all kidding aside the 370z is a cool car Im just not too hot on the looks. if we're talking RWD for 40k Id say used z06 or viper.

but you really want a viper. 8.0L v10 > intercourse

I just don't like the terrible visibility out of the Z. Rear vision is seriously impaired. I didn't read the whole thread, but are you looking new or used?

If new, I'd go for a used Porsche 911 all day. Plenty of them to be found in the $30-40k price range.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Banned
    if it was american muscle cars id go for the chevy camaro. im not to sure on all their stats but last i heard it kills the challenger. it has great suspension and a nice motor. the mustang to me looks like crap even if it can keep up with an M5 at the track. it wins looks hands down. not bad with only a 34k price tag.

now if its going to be the 370z id go with the Nismo! since its not turbo'd and your going to hit a wall on power, go all looks! it looks awesome.

40k weekend car put you in the position for both a used Lotus Exige or Acura NSX. Both are exotic looking, performance are decent (compared to Wrx) and in the case of NSX many of those who own one seems to love them. They are also very different from the WRX in character. I serious doubt either car would not turn heads as well.

I drove my friend's 370z. Its does not feel quick to me and the clutch is too soft for me. The car seems to handle excellently in the short time I drove it and fit and finish is good. Not a bad choice but hardly worth weekend car status imo.

I'd never pay $30-40k for a 15+ year old 250hp Honda no matter what it's called or badged. Swoopy body work aside, you'd be pushed out of the way by soccer moms in their Hyundai Sonatas.

Same with the Vipers. It's a fine car but I refuse to pay $40k for a 20 year old car that cost $50k when it was new. It'd be a reasonable purchase at $20-25k -- it's two decades old.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Everyone is entitled to their respective opinions on the matter of value. I was just pointing out some possibilities. If you don't like older cars then that is fine. I don't badge hate though, a good car is a good car regardless of maker. What defines a good car to me obviously will not be the same to you.

I'd take a 944 Turbo over a 350/70Z any day of the week.
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I'd take a 944 Turbo over a 350/70Z any day of the week.
    Cheers to that.. those were/are REALLY fun cars.. and the looks never get old to me. Can find them reasonably cheap now days too.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    Cheers to that.. those were/are REALLY fun cars.. and the looks never get old to me. Can find them reasonably cheap now days too.
    944s are still used in club racing today for a good reason. Outstanding chassis even in a 25+ year old car that keeps up with the latest from anybody.
    Scott

I Support ClubWRX
    Depends on usage. Weekend car, bit of a project? The 951 would be great. DD? I'd take the Z.
    Honestly, I think that the 350 and 370 are fine cars..a bit ubiquitous these days, but a decent sportscar IMO.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I'd get a 1978 Ferrari 308 GTS - Red...start wearing Hawaiian shirts and solving crimes. I've seen them on ebay for 30k.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.