anyone race a 2010 MS3 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 49

This is a discussion on anyone race a 2010 MS3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by zax Though counterintuitive, this is actually not true. From a roll (or street-start as most magazines call ...

  1. #16
    Registered User 2004NeonSRT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oxford,PA
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Though counterintuitive, this is actually not true. From a roll (or street-start as most magazines call it), 5-60 sprints tend to take longer than 0-60 sprints for well-anchored cars like the WRX. This is actually due to the way that the torque is delivered to the ground. Take, for example, my 2003 WRX. 0-60 was billed between 5.6-5.8 seconds for a stock car. However, a street-start 5-60 sprint took around 6.2-6.5 seconds. Keep in mind (when drag racing) that no one launches from 750 RPM; there's a reason for this.

    you right. in order to achieve a good 0-60 your launching the car hard and in boost. not stuck waiting on lag in 1st at 5mph.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    47,044
    I Support ClubWRX
    4 wheels transmitting power to the ground versus 2. Essentially, you're comparing two different designs of vehicle. The AWD will deliver a significant advantage at the very start of a race from the stop (less power wasted spinning wheels)...and then will be a disadvantage for the rest of the run, due to drivetrain losses, which are somewhat higher than in its 2WD counterpart.

    Simple physics.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  4. #18
    zax
    zax is online now
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    13,454
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Simple physics.
    Ray,
    From my experience, I have found these two words mutually exclusive.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  5. #19
    Registered User metaldahlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Though counterintuitive, this is actually not true. From a roll (or street-start as most magazines call it), 5-60 sprints tend to take longer than 0-60 sprints for well-anchored cars like the WRX. This is actually due to the way that the torque is delivered to the ground. Take, for example, my 2003 WRX. 0-60 was billed between 5.6-5.8 seconds for a stock car. However, a street-start 5-60 sprint took around 6.2-6.5 seconds. Keep in mind (when drag racing) that no one launches from 750 RPM; there's a reason for this.

    I have seen different numbers comparing a roll to a launch for a WRX. I was basing my argument on that. I can't remember where it was though.

  6. #20
    Registered User metaldahlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4 View Post
    you right. in order to achieve a good 0-60 your launching the car hard and in boost. not stuck waiting on lag in 1st at 5mph.
    Of course, as I said, there are more than one speed to roll from. I guess my statement was incorrect. 5mph is pretty low to roll from. Lag is an issue at that point.

  7. #21
    Registered User metaldahlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    4 wheels transmitting power to the ground versus 2. Essentially, you're comparing two different designs of vehicle. The AWD will deliver a significant advantage at the very start of a race from the stop (less power wasted spinning wheels)...and then will be a disadvantage for the rest of the run, due to drivetrain losses, which are somewhat higher than in its 2WD counterpart.

    Simple physics.
    My disclaimer, as I said, is that I haven't done much racing, from a roll or otherwise. But addressing the points that some people have made I would say that I could still have a valid point, though maybe not applicable to all situations.

    There is a huge amount of weight transfer that occurs when a car is launched. This could be significant enough to outweigh any losses due to lag or drivetrain losses that occur from a roll.

  8. #22
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    47,044
    I Support ClubWRX
    That big fiery orb in the sky could be a flashlight held by a giant that looks like Johnny Cash...but the theoretical and empirical evidence seems to indicate something else.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  9. #23
    Registered User metaldahlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    That big fiery orb in the sky could be a flashlight held by a giant that looks like Johnny Cash...but the theoretical and empirical evidence seems to indicate something else.
    Fair enough

  10. #24
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    47,044
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by metaldahlberg View Post
    Fair enough
    Thanks for being a good sport. I had an unexpected wiseacre attack.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  11. #25
    Registered User rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    95
    Sorry zac,
    Cannot agree with you. I stated alot has to with the driver. motor trend use's aguy name of Randy Pobst. I know i am not going to get the same times out of my car as he would. i think they did a pretty fair assement of the two car's. Each to there own. The new rex is going to be faster in the quarter then the ms3. The speed 3 is great little car but I would also shy away from the turque steer that it has. Each to there own.

  12. #26
    Registered User metaldahlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Thanks for being a good sport. I had an unexpected wiseacre attack.
    I am man enough to admit when I am incorrect. What people think of me or say after that is their choice.

  13. #27
    zax
    zax is online now
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    13,454
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Sorry zac,
    Cannot agree with you. I stated alot has to with the driver. motor trend use's aguy name of Randy Pobst. I know i am not going to get the same times out of my car as he would. i think they did a pretty fair assement of the two car's. Each to there own. The new rex is going to be faster in the quarter then the ms3. The speed 3 is great little car but I would also shy away from the turque steer that it has. Each to there own.
    It's all good I'm not gonna rail on ya for having a different opinion. I like to look at www.dragtimes.com for empirical evidence when it comes to quarter mile times. The 2009+ rex tends to put down times around 13.8 @ 101 MPH while it seems that the MS3 seems to post times around 14.0 @ 100 MPH. In this case, it seems that the magazines had justifiable claims.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  14. #28
    Registered User Les Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    38
    The new Mazda front end is so fugly! I always want to ask someone why they would buy a car that is that ugly. To each their own though; people think that the WRX is ugly. Even the guys on Top Gear stated that it was hideous when they compared it to the EVO. But man, that Mazda just looks so ugly.

  15. #29
    Registered User metaldahlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Bill View Post
    The new Mazda front end is so fugly! I always want to ask someone why they would buy a car that is that ugly. To each their own though; people think that the WRX is ugly. Even the guys on Top Gear stated that it was hideous when they compared it to the EVO. But man, that Mazda just looks so ugly.
    I saw that episode of Top Gear. I don't really see how it is ugly. But it is opinion mostly. I don't think the Mazda is horrible though.

  16. #30
    Registered User rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    95
    It is all relative anyway to who the driver is to some extent.
    A guy like Randy Pobst tests car's year-around and can get the most out of the car. This is off the original subject but I also like the fact that when comparing car's they look at a lot more then just how fast a car is.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •